Sign in to follow this  
Nuggit82

P3dV5 running out of VRAM all the time

1 minute ago, Dirk98 said:

Isn't Dynamic texture streaming supposed to clean up textures you're not looking at?

I think so. But it also seems to decide when your VRAM usage is getting critical and turns off EA then. Not sure about this, but it fits my observations. 

• Like 1

Hans

19 minutes ago, Dirk98 said:

So in DX12 video memory is managed by an app, is it not?

Yes, the main idea behind DX12 is to give app developers more control over how and when things gets shuffled in and out between RAM and VRAM, on the premise they might know better what their application needs are. This is what usually allows higher performances ( in addition to better support for multi-threading ) in DX12, but it also makes the application more complex to program, debug and test, with more responsibility on the application developer to prevent crashes due to VRAM exhaustion.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

So it's the issue of mismanagement of video memory in P3Dv5 and not the general problem of addons simply eating just too much of VRAM with settings set too high? We're not going to have another OOM situation on our hands like we had in 32bit P3D and FSX and the answer will be "that's just the way the cookie crumbles, lower your settings"?

Not quite. OOM's in FSX and P3Dv3 more often than no had nothing to do with how much physical memory you have but it was a limitation of 32bit applications. This time around it has everything to do with how much physical memory you have. So you can always buy a video card with more VRAM. The next gen RTX 3xxx is supposed to have 16gb. I think that's a scam. It should have 24gb.

2 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Is there a solution to this issue or are we going to chase those "optimal" settings once again as we did in 32bit P3D and FSX by which I mean pulling those sliders to the right, crashing all the time and reluctantly putting some of them back to the left?

When flying with EA enable and setting sliders I remind myself EA is in beta. 

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

I solved my VRAM usage (on the edge though) but I can sim flawlessly for the time being (8GB VRam min req).  See part 3 and Part 2 (titled threads) that I have created in the recent days.  Part 2 has all the settings shown with pics, and part 3 has modified the textures to 1024 (see them both) - 

Literally I have done very minor tweaks and viola vram is under management but you do need Windows 10 Pro 2004 build (it is the Summer release) it will be out to public within few days.  I am using windows insider to get the build.  That is mandatory as it does better vram management than build 1909.

You could get away with build 1909 but may have to bring some settings down.

Edited by Skywolf
  • Like 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

2 hours ago, Quasimodo said:

Not quite. OOM's in FSX and P3Dv3 more often than no had nothing to do with how much physical memory you have but it was a limitation of 32bit applications. This time around it has everything to do with how much physical memory you have. So you can always buy a video card with more VRAM. The next gen RTX 3xxx is supposed to have 16gb. I think that's a scam. It should have 24gb.

The Video card industry is a total scam... why can't they have a video card that has memory slots just like on a motherboard, then all you is add/upgrade VRAM when you need to...

• Like 2

Faisal Niazi

In the end nothing has changed remember FSX release users pushed the slider to the right max setting and too everyone's amazement no PC could run it, now it`s that joke sim that people talk about.

Progress comes at a price jump on board or stay put. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

31 minutes ago, Gadget FPV said:

The Video card industry is a total scam... why can't they have a video card that has memory slots just like on a motherboard, then all you is add/upgrade VRAM when you need to...

Preach brother.  I can buy 32 gig DRAM for my present computer for a few hundred dollars, but for a video card, to even APPROACH that figure I have to buy a Titan (over $2,000).

The only hope is that now with DX12 around we will start seeing cards with more vram.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

5 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

We're not going to have another OOM situation on our hands like we had in 32bit P3D and FSX and the answer will be "that's just the way the cookie crumbles, lower your settings"?

I think the replies in this thread make it clear that that we're already in that situation. Progress!

James

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Skywolf said:

You could get away with build 1909 but may have to bring some settings down.

Skywolf, do you have any GTN installed? The RXP or the F1 and if yes with which trainer version from Garmin? And does the trainer work normally under 2004? There is a longer other thread where there were some issues with the trainer and 2004.

Hans

47 minutes ago, Mace said:

Preach brother.  I can buy 32 gig DRAM for my present computer for a few hundred dollars, but for a video card, to even APPROACH that figure I have to buy a Titan (over $2,000).

The only hope is that now with DX12 around we will start seeing cards with more vram.

Except you’re not buying GDDR6 RAM for your PC. Which is why you’re spending so little on your DDR4 RAM. 

Call me when you see GDDR6 RAM for a couple hundred bucks. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

Skywolf, do you have any GTN installed? The RXP or the F1 and if yes with which trainer version from Garmin? And does the trainer work normally under 2004? There is a longer other thread where there were some issues with the trainer and 2004.

No I do not at this moment.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

It appears to me that VRAM is the main issue. I believe in my case its even the cause of the hard no warning CTD's.

I've dialed my setting back to quite a bit lower than my system could otherwise handle but for running out of VRAM.

That's 11gb. I have finally complete my GA bench mark flight without issue. I reduced texture res form 4k to 2k. I reduced 4xssaa to 2xssaa.

Serveral other setting reduced that I would not otherwise have to reduce. I need more VRAM. 3 things will happen:

1. Later releases will improve VRAM management. (perhaps)

2. Windows 10 2002( or whatever its called) will deliver another 1.2GB on 11gb cards.

3. I understand that some update in the future will be optimized for 2 Gpu's (don't think its called SLI anymore. NVLink?) with DX12 that means that if you have 2 x 11gb cards you get the full 22gb instead of only 11gb with sli.

1 hour ago, flycln said:

Except you’re not buying GDDR6 RAM for your PC. Which is why you’re spending so little on your DDR4 RAM. 

Call me when you see GDDR6 RAM for a couple hundred bucks. 

Didn't make that point, but whatever

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

8 hours ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

So it's the issue of mismanagement of video memory in P3Dv5 and not the general problem of addons simply eating just too much of VRAM with settings set too high? We're not going to have another OOM situation on our hands like we had in 32bit P3D and FSX and the answer will be "that's just the way the cookie crumbles, lower your settings"?

Dial the settings fitting to your hardware does help indeed. Don't blame LM when you can't resist to go over your hardware limits. In 4.x with DX11 you had massive fps drops when you ran out of VRAM, does this taste better for you?

• Like 1

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png