Sign in to follow this  
SorensenDK

Good Framerates - major stutters / pauses

You can further investigate with an sophisticated task manager like AnVir, maybe that helps you to get a picture.

System: i9 9900k@4.9 - 32 GB RAM - Aorus 1080ti --- Sim/Addons: P3D v5 + ProSim737
Signature3.png

But, on another hand....not sure why I don't have NCP anymore...LOL. Could that be deleted by itself after updating driver few days back....? It seems that my PC has a mind ob it's own😋

Alex 

17 minutes ago, cyyzrwy24 said:

But, on another hand....not sure why I don't have NCP anymore...LOL. Could that be deleted by itself after updating driver few days back....? It seems that my PC has a mind ob it's own😋

A hundred years ago I had these little errors, changes, weird issues that would crop up every few days and nothing had changed either.  Turned out the hard drive the OS was on was slowing failing.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

39 minutes ago, Noel said:

A hundred years ago I had these little errors, changes, weird issues that would crop up every few days and nothing had changed either.  Turned out the hard drive the OS was on was slowing failing.

As of now I can't see any indications of any failure, but  possible and I am hoping that technology at least made impact on quality, but like everything else, cheap production, incompetent people made errors in the process. Who knows.

What I suspect is that I have issue with QW, why, I have no idea, I see some flickering with instruments as well. Maybe I am right but I am currently in the air and will check with stock AC to see what's happening. But it is very odd that I suddenly started experiencing this issue and I had none whatsoever.

Alex 

On 5/30/2020 at 6:28 AM, lownslo said:

The relevant point is whether those extra logical processors are doing useful work... the kind of work that enhances the simming experience.  Which in itself is no easy metric to determine since each of our sims/computers is configured uniquely differently.  Kind of makes hay of the arguments of those who claim HT should always be on and those who claim HT should be off.

Greg

When you can do more work at the same frequency then it's the same heat because with HT off there's cycles unused making the same heat. The reason folk get too much heat is because they allow too many LPs not because HT is on. Look at a 10 core HT on no AM = 20 LPs most of which do more than you need because they are background tasks. You need the fastest main task core, then you feed that with the most work done to bring in the data, without letting that overwhelm the system which brings the main task  down. It's basically not understanding how the simulator works and how HT works that gives HT a bad name.

Major stutters are something else, like as the others have stated, maybe a problem elsewhere in the machine.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

My point was largely rhetorical but to simplify, how does one determine if the extra LP's are actually doing something to add to the simming experience.  The reality is that just because a tool can do more work (such as a CPU with HT on) doesn't necessarily mean that work is useful (adds to the simming experience).  There are so many variables involved in that determination, not the least of which is the subjective impression of each simmer flying their unique configuration on their unique hardware, as to make a discussion of HT on, HT off, Affininy Masks. yada yada clear as mud.

Quite simply, what works for one may not work so well for another... depsite your claim that HT on accomplishes more work (no dispute here about your claim).

Greg

Very easy to spot that your scenario loads faster with HT enabled. If the scenario loads faster what is at work there? It is composing the scene faster.

If it composes the scene faster does it mean less stutter? Maybe. But not if by utilising too much of the system to load files and compose the scene it overwhelms the system bringing down the fluidity of the main task.

So there must be an optimum number of cores/LPs for the background to do its thing and leave the main task running smooth.

Add LPs one by one to the AM and the scenario will load faster and faster. At some point the decrease in loading time is very small, that means the system is saturated and we use too much. There is an optimum amount to look for. Using No AM with many cores it really become a problem.

With the major stutter problem I would install the simulator stock set up the AM so as not to use too many cores. For example If I'm using eight or ten core CPU use just six HT disabled AM=63. Run the Mooney on a flight between two medium scenery areas - no addons whatsoever. Check for problems. If no problems move on from there. Do that to get a baseline performance so you know the system is OK.

On 5/31/2020 at 1:41 AM, cyyzrwy24 said:

Are you sure you dont have NCP? right-click at desktop doesn´t show the option?

Maybe an old Nvidia driver was installed by windows itself?

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

33 minutes ago, SteveW said:

With the major stutter problem I would install the simulator stock set up the AM so as not to use too many cores. For example If I'm using eight or ten core CPU use just six HT disabled AM=63. Run the Mooney on a flight between two medium scenery areas - no addons whatsoever. Check for problems. If no problems move on from there. Do that to get a baseline performance so you know the system is OK.

I would also default Nvidia driver before running any tests. Install GeForce Experience, check for updates, download latest driver and use Express Installation. Next Select Nvidia Control Panel and in 3D settings Restore/Apply the global profile, then Restore/Apply the Prepar3D.exe profile.

I have written about my experience which I think corresponds to Steve's guidance.

HT ON means my CPU generally runs with fluidity, but running P3D with on all cores we end up with a hotter CPU. To counter the temp issue I run Process Lasso and allocate P3D to the HT OFF cores (for me 0,2,4,6,8,10) on my 11 core PC (I think these are the physical cores). I then allocate all the rest of the programs on cores 1,3,5,7,9,11. Better temps and fluidity and better CPU utilisation.

As I live in a warm climate, to counter the temps in summer running P3D, I also remove the CPU cover to allow it to breathe 😃

• Like 1

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

2 minutes ago, ShezA said:

I have written about my experience which I think corresponds to Steve's guidance.

HT ON means my CPU generally runs with fluidity, but running P3D with on all cores we end up with a hotter CPU. To counter the temp issue I run Process Lasso and allocate P3D to the HT OFF cores (for me 0,2,4,6,8,10) on my 11 core PC (I think these are the physical cores). I then allocate all the rest of the programs on cores 1,3,5,7,9,11. Better temps and fluidity and better CPU utilisation.

As I live in a warm climate, to counter the temps in summer running P3D, I also remove the CPU cover to allow it to breathe 😃

Also - keep everything else off of LP1 so that LP0 has maximum bandwidth of core zero.

Edited by SteveW

6 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Also - keep everything else off of LP1 so that LP0 has maximum bandwidth of core zero.

So I should run P3D on cores 0,1,2,4,6,8,10 and default everything else to 3,5,7,9,11?

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Yes. Also you could corral those other apps even higher, 5,7,9,11. Background tasks take seconds to complete so they can better afford to be stalled by other activity on the core. Whereas the first task on core zero LP zero should not share. The second task can also benefit from not sharing to a lesser extent.

I will check it out although I suspect if I use the non-physical cores (1,3) then temps might go up. Thanks.

Shez Ansari