Sign in to follow this  
Captain747

Cant believe this

For most of users out there, the current ATC shown is good enough. If you still want more detail or options then a third party dev will fill that space in the future. Or hopefully, Asobo will improve the ATC in future versions.

On 6/6/2020 at 10:45 PM, Andiroto said:

But i hope they include more real airline atc callsigns in their default repertoire! Especialy from airlines, which are not active anymore!

Considering the sim uses text to speech and not the built sounds like FSX/P3D, it can probably say almost any airline/callsign in the world.

Edited by Tuskin38

@Tuskin38 Yes, but I expect speak sound for ATC and all callsigns! Only text would be too abstract for me!

As I said, it can be quiet like FSX, but please not worse!

There isn't enough undulation in the ATC folks, period.

Seriously though, it's underwhelming and disappointing at the same time. Had higher hopes than this. 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

"IT'S THE VOICES... STUPID...!!!"

Yes ATC on a sim is also about the quality of the voices, we dont necessarily need 125 accents from each part of the world, with FSX and P3D we have about 6 or 8, BUT they are of good quality. I believe this thread was not started to complain about the way ATC is technically implemented, it is far better than FSX and P3D, offers more options, is closer to reality within the obvious limitations of a simulation. Would we accept an awful rumbling noise as an OK engine sound? ASOBO have gone out of their way to deliver an outstanding engine sound, background sounds, etc, but ATC voices? Nope...

There is no need to make comparison with existing third party ATC software which ALL have lousy voices, either robotic (like FS2020) or offer a difficult "cut and paste" set of words or sentences read by amateurs (volunteers - I am one of them) so as to make an ATC message like (difficult to transcribe): "Emirates NINER... seven-EIGHT, switch TO.. ONE-two, THREE.. point... THREE, two" Add to that the change of rhythm during the delivery and you have an awful garble that most simmers appear to ignore or accept (as demonstrated by a majority of posts in these eight pages), and that is a pity.

What has been shown to us in this latest video is a new, more refined, more accurate ATC system, but delivered by robotic voices in a staccato mode which were not present in the previous simulators. There is little hope to see yet another batch of third party ATC developers who will try to beat the system with better voices. This requires talent(s) AND equipment(s) they can't afford, ASOBO has both, but apparently do not have the time, the budget or the will to do the job as thoroughly to bring it to the same outstanding level as the wonderful simulator they have put together so far.

ATC voices for FS2020 sound the same way the graphics of FS95 were looking, work in progress, but far away from what ACES had done in their studio, was it for FS9 in 2003?! As for voice recognition, will Cortana listen? Seriously...

Jean-Claude

Edited by Jean-Claude
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

You Do know that what we have seen so far is ONLY Alpha & may not be representative of the final release? 

Lets leave so-called decent voices to the add-on developers & lets let Asobo continue their sim development! 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Alpha it is indeed, it remains that the quality level of those voices are nowhere near the quality of the Alpha stage of the rest of the project as shown to us in the past months, that is the main reason of the disappointment, I'll be very, very happy to discover that the FS2020 ATC voices will meet the quality level of P3D and FSX when the product is released! Not voicing any concern now equates to accept that those voices are OK in 2020, nothing more, nothing less.

Following the same reasoning "it's Alpha", we should not comment on anything else then, and that would be of little help to the developers.

• Upvote 1

Jean-Claude, no, this is the 8th page of moans & groans about ATC. There are other sites & alpha testers that are also helping the developers. Flogging a dead horse after 8 pages, is exactly that! Maybe FS2021 voices will be better, or maybe add-on developers, whose prime focus is in ATC could do better than a developer studio that is, & has been busy developing a complete product for the last 5 years.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

2 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Jean-Claude, no, this is the 8th page of moans & groans about ATC. There are other sites & alpha testers that are also helping the developers. Flogging a dead horse after 8 pages, is exactly that! Maybe FS2021 voices will be better, or maybe add-on developers, whose prime focus is in ATC could do better than a developer studio that is, & has been busy developing a complete product for the last 5 years.

Almost feels like someone's forcing you to read the conversations here?

• Upvote 1

Lol, I'm just amused at the comments, & waiting to see how many more pages are going to be filled with repeated moans.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

I'm currently trying out Pilot2ATC. Good voices and speech recognition, but a steep learning curve. I like it so far, I think we should be able to speak to ATC in 2020.

As it's built on FSUIPC there's a reasonable chance that it'll work with MSFS soon after release.

It might satisfy anyone looking for more than the default ATC will offer.

• Upvote 1

The "it's alpha" or "let the 3PDs take care of it" arguments are fairly moot for almost every single discussion on this board at this point in time...be it flight dynamics, weather, instrumentation, graphics, grass fescue varieties, or ATC voices in this case.

With Asobo building the core foundational components of the sim right now, and their devs going absolutely above and beyond just good-enough for most components, it seems fair to have a healthy conversation on a wishlist item that is obviously a big part of immersion for some. It's fairly unprecedented to have the eyes and ears of the developers at this stage in product development...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pilot2ATC has a very good working voice recognition and fairly good TTS with third-party voices. It assigns SID, STARs and approaches based on live weather and working runways, sees in-sim real-wordl AI traffic (via LiveTraffic plugin), warns of traffic, tries to route around it soimetimes, alerts to execute missed approach if runway is busy, exports flight plans usable in X-PLane 737 FMS, and does a lot more. I use VR so I actually talk to ATC (it has a copliot option to do readbacks and tune radios, which is great because repeating long strings of STAR waypoints or taxiways is difficult and time-consuming), I can request vectors and flight levels, IFR and taxi clearances, altimeter, ATIS, report and request various things etc. I expected to see something similar but better from FS2020, maybe with more natural Azure voices, modulated to sound like radio (P2ATC can play background radio static sound, but voices are not EQd) and more variation for phrasing etc. But alas, this is a disappointment. They noted that they are playing with Azure, so maybe they will get better voices eventually, but pressing buttons in floating windows in VR just ruins the immersion. It has to be voice recognition, come on! It's 2020, and that's even in the sim name! And they still have buttons in windows for ATC?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CYYJ  Victoria International Airport [BC Canada CYOW  Ottawa International Airport [Ontario Canada]   
 CYOO  Oshawa Executive Airport [Ontario Canada CYKZ  Toronto Buttonville Municipal Airport [Ontario Canada]
 CNC3  Brampton-Caledon Airport [Ontario Canada
Available now at FlightSimulation.RomanDesign.ca +4 Free Scenery Packs
My Hard Sci-Fi novels and audiobooks: RomanLando.com

On 6/7/2020 at 2:49 AM, MaVe64 said:

This is a sample of ATC comm. from ProATC-X, an ATC add-on for FSX/P3D.

It's made the 'old fashioned' way with sound sampled real voices.

https://mavecreations.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/7/6/10762233/aussie_atc.wav

Don't pay too much attention to the controllers voice, it wasn't optimized jet, but the laid back Ozzie is priceless in my opinion.

The problem with this method is that it's a hell of a job to add in new voices.

I don’t think that’s realistic at all...needs played back at 5x speed to sound like real ATC! 😊