Sign in to follow this  
vp49p3

ORBX True Earth Ball of Confusion

Hi-I have looked high and low on the ORBX forums (and elsewhere) for the answers to my questions as applicable to P3Dv4.5.  I couldn't find a straight answer anywhere.

I only use ORBX scenery products.  I have all the global products always installed, and then add the land class, region and individual airport products for the hemisphere where I'm flying.  Basically I install the whole ORBX shebang that can be used underneath a single airport, except for True Earth.

I am looking at purchasing the True Earth series, but for the life of me can't determine where, how or even whether True Earth integrates with the rest of ORBX.  Is True Earth supposed to be used in addition to all their other products that can be used within True Earth's coverage?   As a substitute for some (but not all) ORBX products available for a particular location?  Or as a wholesale substitute for all other ORBX products in the area that True Earth  encompasses? 

Also, depending on the answer, are any other steps needed to ensure compatibility of True Earth ORBX products with other ORBX products?

Nothing in the True Earth instruction manuals deal with this, nor can I locate a definitive single place in their forums which addresses these questions.

If anyone can provide a link to the answers, or has the answers, I'd be greatly appreciative of your assistance.

Thanks much, Jay.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Well, lets say it this way: You don't need to care about it :-) ORBX CENTRAL does.

I do have all the different British Packages (England, Scotland...) installed and in addition Great Britain South. Works fine, without any issues.
I don't have to worry about where True Earth Great Britain South "ends" and where "ORBX ENGLAND" continues. I had several flights over that "border" and nothing special happened.

Ralf

After installing TE Washington on top of PNW and KHQM and Seattle X and Seattle Airports, it just blends in nicely IMO, I did have problems with black squares but It should all "FIT" having said that IF --- you install TE with Central just make sure if you want to be problem free to just verify the files for Base, Vector, openLC's and Orbx Libraries. After doing the link everything in and out of scenery is fine.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/189035-fix-for-blocks-andor-night-textures-in-orbx-global-base-or-open-lc-scenery/

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

11 hours ago, vp49p3 said:

Or as a wholesale substitute for all other ORBX products in the area that True Earth  encompasses?

Yeah, that's pretty much it!  The True Earth products are the latest rendition of the Regions... TE products include Landclass and of course Vector data.  All the data you need for a specific region all in one package.

8 hours ago, skystar said:

Well, lets say it this way: You don't need to care about it :-) ORBX CENTRAL does.

You must have a different Orbx Central than I do... mine is as dumb as a fence post!  Mine is 4.1.11, which I belive is the latest for this date.  Thankfully Lorby's P3D Addon Organizer works where Orbx Central doesn't.

Regards,

Greg

9 hours ago, skystar said:

Well, lets say it this way: You don't need to care about it 🙂 ORBX CENTRAL does.

I do have all the different British Packages (England, Scotland...) installed and in addition Great Britain South. Works fine, without any issues.
I don't have to worry about where True Earth Great Britain South "ends" and where "ORBX ENGLAND" continues. I had several flights over that "border" and nothing special happened.

Ralf

Hmm .... When you fly from Abbotsford (Canada, BC) to Bellingham (US, WA) the boarder between PNW and TE WA is clearly visible. They could have made a better blending because  both are ORBX products and not one from anybody else.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

V4.5 you can run both. V5 i would disable FTX region - the sim doesn’t like competing layers of ortho in the same place.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

5 hours ago, lownslo said:

Yeah, that's pretty much it!  The True Earth products are the latest rendition of the Regions... TE products include Landclass and of course Vector data.  All the data you need for a specific region all in one package.

You must have a different Orbx Central than I do... mine is as dumb as a fence post!  Mine is 4.1.11, which I belive is the latest for this date.  Thankfully Lorby's P3D Addon Organizer works where Orbx Central doesn't.

Regards,

Greg

How bizarre! Mine is certainly not dumb. Arranges everything as instructed and updates when required.

No need for Lorby at all! (Have it but hardly have a need for it).

I suppose that is computers for you.😁

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

According to the ORBx product page the only prerequisite is that you need the Orbx Libraries installed.

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

3 minutes ago, wardp said:

According to the ORBx product page the only prerequisite is that you need the Orbx Libraries installed.

It looks like you didn't read all the way to the bottom of the page.

As I said--a Ball of Confusion-with apologies to the Temptations.

The bottom of the product page for TE GB South I saw read as below, Did I miss something?

Prerequisite Products

You require at least one of the following products to use TrueEarth Great Britain South.

Orbx Libraries

$0.00 AUD

Edited by wardp

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

Other than a long load time, TE Washington delivers!   Works well with my ORBX regions, airports, landclass, vector, etc. without a hitch.  Great VFR flying!   No confusion for me...

John

The bottom of the product page for TE GB South I saw read as below, Did I miss something?

Prerequisite Products

You require at least one of the following products to use TrueEarth Great Britain South.

Orbx Libraries

$0.00 AUD

That's correct-but it doesn't say anything about other ORBX products' interaction with TE.  For instance some TE products say in the fine print they are compatible with Global Base, but make no mention of compatibility with Global Vector.  I wish Orbx would just come out with some clarity on what product of theirs works with what. 

Edited by vp49p3
Forgot to quote

TE does everything except amazing looking addon airports in a single area.  The TE's are not as large area like the regions were.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

10 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

V4.5 you can run both. V5 i would disable FTX region - the sim doesn’t like competing layers of ortho in the same place.

V5 - perhaps even uninstall FTX region?

Thanks.