Sign in to follow this  
jcjimmy

MSFS Tutorial or Set-Up Guide

Good topic.  I am hoping that they make the controls (Joystick, Views, Throttle, Pedals) easier to install.   Tutorials on specific setups (Videos) would be nice.

7 hours ago, bonchie said:

Install it. Play it.

Really, it's that simple. I'm in the alpha and my GPU is two generations behind and even then was mid-level (i.e. not a x80 or ti series). It's runs great for me.

You've got that right. Super simple. I installed it, maxed out every option, and started flying.

4 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The release version is installed into the Windows Apps folder, based on my Preorder install.

Maybe the Alpha version was installed differently... 😉

There was an easy way to point it to any desired location. I have E:\P3D\Prepar3d v4, E:\P3D5\Prepar3d v5\, and E:\MSFS\<redacted>\

That's classified. You can't see it. Sources and methods you know... I feel like Jim Comey. I need a shower. 😎

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

5 hours ago, Brandon01110 said:

3 different folder locations can be utilized by the software: 1. Initial app download 2. main large component download. 3. Rolling cache location. (chosen when in the simulator menu).  

Brandon,

Do you know if the Rolling Cache Location can be set to a network location, like a mapped network drive or a UNC path?

Thanks, I'm a little short on space so was trying to plan out the install before next month 🙂

Regards,

Subin.

Edited by Subs

10 hours ago, bonchie said:

Install it. Play it.

Really, it's that simple. I'm in the alpha and my GPU is two generations behind and even then was mid-level (i.e. not a x80 or ti series). It's runs great for me.

Would be keenly interested in your system specs.  Especially CPU, MB, RAM, and GPU.  It appears the MSFS release date might be prior to some reported system hardware releases. So such specs might help some us feel more comfortable with the MSFS release when delaying our new system builds.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, markmasterson said:

Good topic.  I am hoping that they make the controls (Joystick, Views, Throttle, Pedals) easier to install.   Tutorials on specific setups (Videos) would be nice.

i`m not giving anything away by saving the default joystick settings are not to my liking, as in the roadmap in the TOP ALPHA ISUESS column peripheral support improved, 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

14 hours ago, Subs said:

Do you know if the Rolling Cache Location can be set to a network location, like a mapped network drive or a UNC path?

Pertaining to mapped network drive, I would bet you can as you have the same drive/folder directory structure as any other time you wanna specify a location for something.

I can't say definitively at this moment as I have mine all set and I don't want to recreate it at this time.

MSFS Alpha tester on W10 Pro x64. Hardware: AMD 5900X 12 core CPU. Cooler Master ML360R AIO, Asus X570-E mobo, Asus Strix 3090 24GB gfx card, G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4x16) DDR4-3600 RAM, Samsung 970 250GB SSD (OS), Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2 pcie-4 NVMe SSD (MSFS install). EVGA 850w Gold cert PSU, CUK Continuum full ATX tower.  43" Sceptre 4K display. VR: HP Reverb G2.

Unfortunately still have to deal with the Microsoft Store. When I try to install the pre-order from the Install/play button at the store I am told that windows update is not turned on, cannot install until it's turned on. Windows Update is turned on and all latest updates are installed.

When I try "install on my devices" I get "It looks like you don’t have any applicable device(s) linked to your Microsoft account. To install, sign in on a device with your Microsoft account." Except I am signed in on my device (PC), and in my Microsoft account it is shown as registered and with "no issues found".

HI

I have installed on a new 1TB SSD. Am I right that we do not have access to CFG / Aircraft / Sim Objects files as in previous Sim versions?