Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

A Little Sad

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

WOW... P3DV5 outdated..?  🙃

Works pretty well on my system.. I'll be keeping it around, along with my favorite airplanes and their fully functional Garmin avionics..

P3D (all versions) have the most horrible of all graphics engines.  And I not just talking about flight sims I am talking about all 3d game engines in general. It's a complete dogs breakfast.  Considerably worse than XP11 with OpenGL.  MSFS is the best thing ever for FSX/P3D simmers, trust me on that.

• Like 2

1) You don't need to uninstall - unless you want to free those tons of hard drive space.

2) It's the current sims own fault to not adapt to the current standards of technology. Without them stagnating, MSFS wouldn't have the market to enter.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

I hope that the new MSFS is all it has been portrayed as being. I do not expect it to be bug/issue free, that takes time for any sophisticated software, nor do I expect it to provide all the functionality I have now in Prepar3d, that will also take time and the involvement of our development community. What I hope is that it is a sound base system, one with better and more accurate visuals, greater fluidity, and proper functionality. By proper functionality I mean improved flight dynamics (I don't think these have been updated since FSX); time synchronization; weather injection; decent cloud and weather depiction; proper sun and moon phases; moving jetways that actually connect to the plane; a somewhat intelligent pushback system, etc. These are advances in the base sim that I always expected, and to be honest have been pretty disappointed were never really touched by LM. I feel too much of this was left to third party developers and what we ended up with was a large collection of programs that had to work and operate together, which is not an ideal model. I am very thankful that many people cared about flight simulation and took time to craft solutions to these problems, and I hope that all this talent will find ways of contributing to a sound, more advanced base platform -- think of how much better our simulation experience will be. But, I am very much looking forward to letting go of all these programs and having a great platform. I am hopeful by what has been said by Aboso and by a few add on developers already, but we will see in August.

If it is a well developed base platform, I will pretty soon uninstall P3D and all its programs, put them in a Zip archive and say goodbye to an era. And then i will start exploring this new platform with much anticipation for each new release from our excellent developer community. In the meantime, with much optimism, I have begun flying one last time to all of my many, many add on airports in P3D with my few favorite aircraft, saying goodbye to each one. I just do not have the time to maintain and enjoy more than one simulator.

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

I flew with FS9 since it was released in 2004 - it was not until the end of  2015 that I purchased a high-end gaming PC (Ha, now not so hi-end).  Then at last, I  was able to install FSX, my only current flight sim.  But I certainly did not miss FS9 one bit.  And so, I can kiss FSX goodbye in a few months or so - it gave me many hours in the sky.  Now, looking forward to flying  FS2020, and here's hoping it lives up to everyone's expectations... 

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

WOW... P3DV5 outdated..?  🙃

Works pretty well on my system..

Bert, probably outdated is a strong word but outlived for sure.

I've always been upset at LM everytime there was an update. How in 2020 is this flight planner even remotely acceptable when you have free versions that bury it. There are two very nice GNS makers out there but they've been to arrogant to partner with even ONE of them, the ATC hasn't been updated in 15 years. A true sky isn't going to cut it anymore, these  "failures" is what is now going to put P3D in the retro gaming area. P3D v5 was the last straw for me also, it's like a pizza with nothing on it, it's upto you to add all the condiments to make it half decent. Who in this forum is using P3D out of the box, very few.

eaFaZRy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, FPStewy said:

Who in this forum is using P3D out of the box, very few.

I agree with Your comments.
But your last sentence also begs this question: Who in this forum is going to use MSFS2020 out of the box,  without addons?

Edited by RamonB
  • Upvote 1

I personally think P3D and X-Plane might have an economical problem. But the quality of their games will be the same they were. 

It was really sad when Microsoft announced the end of further FS versions after FSX back in 2010.

After I have tried X-Plane 11 the first thing I thought was: Man if I had tried X-Plane much earlier I would have never missed FSX.

FS has great graphics and many people will judge it by that, but for me personally FS has to compete against some real high level X-Plane physics (at least in my opinion).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RamonB said:

Who in this forum is going to use MSFS2020 out of the box,  without addons?

All of us, for a while. 😄

Hook

• Like 6

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

All of us, for a while. 😄

Hook

You got me there Hook. 😃
Perhaps I should amend my previous sentence with ...once 3th party addons are available.

Edited by RamonB
  • Like 1

You'll be a bit less sad when you realise that you don't actually have to pay another 139 quid for another copy of the FSL A320 because you've already got it for P3D.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

P3D v5 was a strong upgrade. That platform is going to have better addon support than MSFS for a long time yet. I’m planning on flying both sims, well into the future.

• Like 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I know what you mean. I pre-ordered FSX Deluxe in the summer of 2006, still have the box on a shelf above my PC. For me its the little tools that were so fun to use over the years to make scenery, missions, repaints, ect that I will miss. I look forward to the new SDK and add-ons we will eventually get. As far as the sim goes Im ready for FS2020! I see alot of VFR flying for me for a few weeks when it's released. 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

2 hours ago, overspeed3 said:

I flew with FS9 since it was released in 2004 - it was not until the end of  2015 that I purchased a high-end gaming PC (Ha, now not so hi-end).  Then at last, I  was able to install FSX, my only current flight sim.  But I certainly did not miss FS9 one bit.  And so, I can kiss FSX goodbye in a few months or so - it gave me many hours in the sky.  Now, looking forward to flying  FS2020, and here's hoping it lives up to everyone's expectations... 

same here since early 90ties with FS4... FSX SE still on my HD, fired up occasionally. XP11 (or 10, don't even know) was flown maybe handful times, did not really like it at all. Now ready to jump onto MSFS and hoping for PMDG chipping in some decent metal soon.

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"