Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

A Little Sad

Like many others here, I've been using FSX/P3D or almost a decade and a half, to say nothing of previous versions of the old sim.  While this new one will bring us all sorts of new goodies, it's a little sad to say goodbye to this old friend that has been with us for so long.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

You don't have to be sad.
FSX or P3D, or whatever sim you use will still be available for You to enjoy.
It will take a while before MSFS takes over.

Even though I mainly use P3D v5 most of the time, I still fire up MS Flight when I want to have fun flying. Or even though I have all my music digitized from a zillion CD's, I still have my Thorens & Technics  turntables and my vinyl records and play them often.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I'm kinda sad but then I look at the P3D forum and got sadder.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Hmmm, I guess I am a heartless SOB then. When I move to one sim to another, Its « so long, its been good to know yuh »

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm not sad at all.  Truth is I've been ready to leave FSX & P3D for a long time now, I just didn't have anywhere else to go.  Except Xplane but it just wasn't a big enough jump to make it worthwhile.

MFS is a big enough jump to make it worthwhile.  I'm ready for a change and a clean sim slate.  Let's get the Next Generation underway!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I am not sure if I go that way. Maybe, maybe not. I have (almost) always excited of the new version of FS/P3D (since FS4!), but I am not sure yet. It looks good, but we´ll see...

56 minutes ago, Mengy said:

I'm not sad at all.  Truth is I've been ready to leave FSX & P3D for a long time now, I just didn't have anywhere else to go.  Except Xplane but it just wasn't a big enough jump to make it worthwhile.

MFS is a big enough jump to make it worthwhile.  I'm ready for a change and a clean sim slate.  Let's get the Next Generation underway!!!!

Sums up my feelings exactly.

It was good to have P3D to keep the flightsim genre alive, but it is high time for something new which is up to date with today's gaming standards.

The P3DV5 disappointment really was the last straw that broke the camels back for me. Time to move on, even if MSFS won't be perfect from the start and it will take some time until MSFS and 3PD provide all the sim elements we are used to.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, snglecoil said:

Bye, Felicia.

This sums up my feelings. I find our current options to frustrating and severely outdated technologically.

5 minutes ago, Hyperfocal said:

This sums up my feelings. I find our current options to frustrating and severely outdated technologically.

WOW... P3DV5 outdated..?  🙃

Works pretty well on my system.. I'll be keeping it around, along with my favorite airplanes and their fully functional Garmin avionics..

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Bert

I've always looked forward to the day I could kiss LM goodbye permanently.  I always detested the EULA charade.  I always detested their model of incremental updates forcing all of the 3rd party content developers to have to continually update or fade away.   These things being said and to put them in context I've enjoyed using P3D immensely, and have been thankful to have it.  I think I paid $79 for FSX, and $600 for P3D over the years not including addons for either.  Looking forward to MSFS but will only play lightly with it until FSCaptain comes up w/ a compatible version for MSFS.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

18 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

WOW... P3DV5 outdated..?  🙃

Works pretty well on my system.. I'll be keeping it around, along with my favorite airplanes and their fully functional Garmin avionics..

FSX works well on my system too but that doesn't mean it's a modern sim.

P3D has been great and I'm glad I spent all the money on it, but it's still always just felt like an improved FSX to me.  I've enjoyed the improvements but the similarities have always been so strong.  After more than a decade with sims feeling like FSX I'm ready for something brand new.  Something better, modern, something refreshing.

P3D isn't refreshing for me anymore, maybe it never was?  Maybe it just felt comfortable, familiar.  I want new and shiny now.  😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Like many others here, I've been using FSX/P3D or almost a decade and a half, to say nothing of previous versions of the old sim.  While this new one will bring us all sorts of new goodies, it's a little sad to say goodbye to this old friend that has been with us for so long.

My advice, don't say goodbye yet, unless you work for MS or Asobo. Be happy and enjoy professional flight simming.

Cheers, Ed

Edited by edpatino
  • Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

39 minutes ago, Mengy said:

FSX works well on my system too but that doesn't mean it's a modern sim.

P3D has been great and I'm glad I spent all the money on it, but it's still always just felt like an improved FSX to me.  I've enjoyed the improvements but the similarities have always been so strong.  After more than a decade with sims feeling like FSX I'm ready for something brand new.  Something better, modern, something refreshing.

P3D isn't refreshing for me anymore, maybe it never was?  Maybe it just felt comfortable, familiar.  I want new and shiny now.  😎

New and shiny it will be for sure..

Bert

49 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I'll be keeping it around, along with my favorite airplanes and their fully functional Garmin avionics..

Actually I'm with your there. Oh how I'm hoping MSFS comes through with a good Garmin avionics suite! 

I got my initial private pilot certificate when GPS was just starting to be seen in some training airplanes. It wasn't until I finally got an instrument rating last year that I realized just how important RNAV has already become and, how much more important it will be in the future. I stubbornly resisted picking up the Reality XP add-ons until late in instrument training. Now I regret holding out on those immensely. Flying the procedures was easy. Learning to used a GNS, GTN, and G1000 efficiently was more important than I had first given credit. The sim was invaluable for this.

I know the MSFS IFR video listed the line of Garmin avionics as GNS430/530, G3X, and G1000/3000/5000. I don't expect every feature to be included, but I really hope that even some of the finer-grained flight planning options are there. And if not...well hopefully Reality XP will be there eventually.

Chris