Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

Anyone else coming back to simming because of MSFS2020?

4 hours ago, LHookins said:

My comment about game ports was mostly a joke, but I remember when I bought a new computer and had to upgrade my entire CH Products suite.

I've been advising people to try MSFS on their existing hardware first, then decide what needs to be upgraded.

Hook

I need a game port --> usb adapter.  Then I could use that ol Gravis Gamepad I have laying around.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Basically another YES here, started early 90ies with FS4 all the way to FSX, then came Flight, XP and FSX SE. Never got P3D, XP I never really got addicted to, still firing up FSX SE every 2-3 months for a quick ride but business and family keeps me from doing more. Curious to see whether that'll change with MSFS now. Will get it for sure. Just need to upgrade my rig from 2008 that'll need a complete replacement, ouch. Need to calm myself down and force me to wait until MSFS is released and first reports/reviews come up on CPU recommendations (e.g. speed vs. cores) to decide between AMD and Intel and a nice GPU that won't fully blast my budget

• Like 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

On 7/20/2020 at 8:54 PM, martin-w said:

I feel its the sim that simmers have always dreamt of.

It sure is (I hope). I remember I wrote MS a mail many pages long with a huge wishlist back then, that was 18 years ago. Exactly as you say, with all the stuff I dreamt of. Reading this today really sends me shivers down my spine. It's like we're at >80% of this is finally here (yes it was a long list 😅). I've said it before but I'll say it again: it was worth the wait!

On 7/21/2020 at 2:16 AM, reignman40 said:

How did that (beta) work back in the day? Did they send you a disc, instructions ect on things to look for?

No specific instructions, but yes the first alphas and betas were physically sent on discs. Later, I believe that was in the FSX times, the images were available for download as well so you could access them a bit earlier and didn't have to wait for the mail to arrive. Especially if you were overseas.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DAD said:

Need to calm myself down and force me to wait until MSFS is released and first reports/reviews come up on CPU recommendations (e.g. speed vs. cores) to decide between AMD and Intel and a nice GPU that won't fully blast my budget

I completely agree with you and others  who are much more knowledgeable than I that waiting for the newest generation of CPU/GPUs to be introduced...hopefully this fall...makes all the sense in the world.

So, I will limp along...hoping my i7 CPU will be sufficient...and upgrade the GPU when they're introduced. Then I'll see what's up and go from there.

Best,

Jim

• Like 1

Nope, been simming since the SubLogic days.

All I can say is the hype and expectations are way, way over the top.

It's a new platform can't say yet if it will be earth shattering different than what we already have.

Reading through these forums one would think this is light years ahead of anything else.

Myself, highly doubt it. Upon release let all the complaining begin. This forum will be littered with people let down by all the hype.

Edited by tpete61
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

It's a new platform can't say yet if it will be earth shattering different than what we already have.

The world wide scenery will.  Other aspects of the sim have yet to be determined. 🙂 And even the scenery isn't perfect, it's just close to it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

The world wide scenery will.  Other aspects of the sim have yet to be determined. 🙂 And even the scenery isn't perfect, it's just close to it.

Hook

The scenery is only one aspect. We've only seen what MS/Asobo wants us to see in regards to scenery. What will much of the earth look like where satellite imagery is not very good.

Also if you are flying at high altitudes the scenery won't probably matter much.

If the scenery is so good as people are opining why are there third party developers going to develop for this part of the game?

Edited by tpete61

1 minute ago, tpete61 said:

If the scenery is so good as people are opining why are there third party developers going to develop for this part of the game?

I've already answered this elsewhere. 🙂  

There are other things I didn't mention.

I've flown over this scenery, and I've described back country flying as mind boggling.

Hook

Larry Hookins

22 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

All I can say is the hype and expectations are way, way over the top.

I agree with this.  People are going to be expecting things that simply aren't possible.  Keep in mind, this is still just a flight simulator, with all that implies.  Also, it's still a work in progress.  

Hook

Larry Hookins

3 hours ago, av84fun said:

I will limp along...hoping my i7 CPU will be sufficient...

I am not even close to limping along with my i5-2500k

lucky you

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

13 hours ago, LHookins said:

I agree with this.  People are going to be expecting things that simply aren't possible.  Keep in mind, this is still just a flight simulator, with all that implies.  Also, it's still a work in progress.  

Hook

I don't know what I'm hoping for that isn't possible. I am eagerly awaiting the new sim's release, but my hopes are perhaps more realistic due to leaks and not due to the media from MS themselves. Perhaps this is why keeping an NDA in effect all the way to release is not totally a good thing. Everything has drawbacks. 

However, even the worst of the leaks isn't able to crush my enthusiasm for MSFS2020. It really looks astonishing, and I do believe my view is justified. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

For me, personally speaking, there are 3 things that need to come together in a flightsim in order for it to be as convincing  as possible:

- graphics (how everything looks including aircraft and environment)

- sound (the amount of sound & quality of sound for the entire environment counts, not just the engines and aerodynamic sound)

- The correct "feel, proper behavior, and numbers" for each aircraft depicted

With the above in mind, the only thing I've personally been able to get a good feel for thus far (from per-release videos) has been some of the graphical aspects. The other 2 variables are still out to lunch as far as I'm concerned and there's no way for me to know how it all will come together, and how well I will relate to it on my own home setup until it's released and I'm actually experiencing it over a period of days/weeks on my own equipment. Only then will I know how "great" it is, or not.

Even though I'm as excited as the next guy, my expectations are (and have been) quite tempered as I've learned that nothing ever lives up to the pre-release hype. My hope is that even though im certain it'll never turn out to be the end-all flightsim (not yet anyway), that perhaps it will be better than what I have right now. But I can't help feeling a little burned and pessimistic, for now anyway.

For right now...the anticipation is where all the fun is at 🙂

Edited by hangar
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hangar said:

I've learned that nothing ever lives up to the pre-release hype.

Ain't it the truth? 😄 

Larry Hookins

On 7/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, MikeT707 said:

After a some years, I eventually got completely board seeing the same ground textures over and over and over. The same olive and tan colored landscapes along with the same gigantic trees and the same huge depictions of houses, as well as very similar looking buildings everywhere. For me, the platform became very repetitive from a scenery perspective. 

I eventually got X-plane 11 and purchased Orbx True Earth Washington state and that was exactly what I was looking for. However, with the announcement of MSFS, I decided to wait for that instead of continuing to purchase more True Earth products, as well as hard drive space, which is needed with True Earth products, plus True Earth is very limited in the scenery that is available. 

FSX enhanced with Ultimate Terrain combined with GEX textures has accomplished the same kind of improvement for me -- truly spectacular! But from what I see, MS2020 takes things to an entirely new level.

7 hours ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I don't know what I'm hoping for that isn't possible.

And I don't know what you're hoping for, so I guess we're even! 😄 

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins