Sign in to follow this  
cepact

I really hope they'll keep updating the airliners

You are both of course right that it seems to be a waste of ressources to create a high quality aircraft just to put it into "arcade-mode".

But also take into consideration that the default aircraft are a showcase for what Asobo can do. If Asobo wants to sell more aircraft as DLC (just saw something about a Q400) the default aircraft have to be convincing.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RALF9636 said:

If Asobo wants to sell more aircraft as DLC (just saw something about a Q400) the default aircraft have to be convincing.

Yes, if Asobo wants to make them. But if MS takes a cut of any sale, then all they need to do is provide the market, which is what they have done. You could even argue that if they want to sell DLC, then actually making the default aircraft suck would provide motivation to buy other stuff. After all, if the FSX 747 was any good, who would have bought the PMDG one?

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

27 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yes, if Asobo wants to make them. But if MS takes a cut of any sale, then all they need to do is provide the market, which is what they have done. You could even argue that if they want to sell DLC, then actually making the default aircraft suck would provide motivation to buy other stuff. After all, if the FSX 747 was any good, who would have bought the PMDG one?

I just can't imagine that they show us how they record sounds at the real aircraft and work with aircraft manufacturers on aerodynamics and flight models just to end up saying: "go ahead and buy the 3PD aircraft to replace our mediocre default aircraft."

I expect many thinks we have learned to take for granted in the flight sim genre over the last 15 years, will change soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think they will. They’ve set a high baseline, at least in terms of navigation, and they basically have to fix it all now. Will they ever simulate obscure systems that aren’t part of daily use (or are usually automated)? I doubt it.

But they should get to where you can do a real flight, approach, etc. and feel immersed. 

I strongly suspect that we are being misled as to how accurately you can actually simulate real-world operations by the propensity of leaked videos from people who clearly don't know one end of an aeroplane from the other. Even the default FSX stuff will let you do a reasonably close simulation of real-world operations, and that thing is fifteen years old, so there's no reason to suspect that the new sim won't at least improve on this situation massively.

Will it let you simulate the underslung thrunge bucket release valve jamming on your airliner, forcing you to issue a pan call and diverting to an emergency airfield in an exact replication of a real world scenario? Nope probably not, but there'll doubtless be a lot of enjoyment to be had and given a few small concessions to perhaps the odd ATC call and maybe not throwing a few switches on the overhead which are inoperable, I reckon it'll be good enough to please most of us whilst we wait for our wallets to be stiffed by FSL, in buying their A320 for the third time. 🤣

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

I think people give them selves too much credit for how much detail they even need. The vast majority of airliner simmers are just button pushers so as long as there is an FMC that legs you insert fixes and a autopilot that does LNAV/VNAV I'm sure that's going to satisfy a lot of simmers on day 1.

Edited by highflyer2020
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Chock said:

There is a reason you don't see PMDG and FSL airliners advertised on Steam for FSX, and it's not because they don't want the exposure, it's because they know that's not really the market for them...

Ruddy hell! Could you imagine the amount of support emails and raised tickets if they actually did that? :blink::biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Ruddy hell! Could you imagine the amount of support emails and raised tickets if they actually did that? :blink::biggrin:

They'd have to do what Carenado do, just ignore them. 🤣

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Touche! (with an acute accent on the "e") Al :cool:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, highflyer2020 said:

I think people give them selves too much credit for how much detail they even need. The vast majority of airliner simmers are just button pushers so as long as there is an FMC that legs you insert fixes and a autopilot that does LNAV/VNAV I'm sure that's going to satisfy a lot of simmers on day 1.

As someone who can identify himself as a button pusher I appreciate having as many buttons to push as possible lol. It's content for us and a lot of time I take the plane for a flight just to learn some new arbitrary trick in the box.

As for VNAV the implementation can be very basic or very complicated depending on how deep you want to go. In the deepest ones we have stuff like punching in the wind prediction to calculate the optimal descent profile. It's also interesting to just watch how a well simulated VNAV tackles the speed and alt constraints in standard routes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Kopteeni said:

As someone who can identify himself as a button pusher I appreciate having as many buttons to push as possible lol. It's content for us and a lot of time I take the plane for a flight just to learn some new arbitrary trick in the box.

As for VNAV the implementation can be very basic or very complicated depending on how deep you want to go. In the deepest ones we have stuff like punching in the wind prediction to calculate the optimal descent profile. It's also interesting to just watch how a well simulated VNAV tackles the speed and alt constraints in standard routes. 

To add to your comment, to me one of the main differences between the FSL Airbus and all other aircraft I had ever used is this:

If in the FSL something happens I do not totally understand I always feel the need to get to the bottom of it because I am sure that the exact same thing happens in the real aircraft. In other aircraft my reaction has always been: Well, probably something that hasn't been implemented properly, never mind..." And that makes an immense difference when it comes to immersion.

That said I had quite enjoyed the Aersosoft Airbusses for years before I switched to the FSL, so I am confident I will also be able to enjoy the MSFS default A320 for the time being, at least after the few weeks I will have been busy with GA flying anyway.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, highflyer2020 said:

I agree, however for the record we are all button pushers sitting om chair behind a desk, 😉 only there is a difference in buttons 🤣

André

On 7/26/2020 at 8:54 PM, cepact said:

I bought a new PC and have to pay 120$ for the simulator. I don't want to spend any more money

Noboy is forcing you to spend any money.

Imagine if the default planes such as the 747, 787, A320 are on par with Aerosoft's version. This would mean Asobo has certainly raised the bar high for how a "default" plane in MFS should perform. That means that dedicated 3rd party developers will have to raise the bar even more and create something that's even better. Well, that's how I look at it at least. 🙂

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

...That means that dedicated 3rd party developers will have to raise the bar even more and create something that's even better...

Well, given that the new FS has a new engine - i.e. the horsepower to do stuff, then perhaps TPDs will indeed raise their bar..

Mark Robinson