Sign in to follow this  
Claudius_

Propeller animation

In the last videos of the most recent beta of FS2020 the propeller animation is still terrible and generating artifacts, very distracting, despite the excellent graphics and sceneries.

Edited by rampa
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

Hello, nobody is interested on the "strobo" propeller effect and generating artifacts? it remember me the same on the old "Cliffs of Dover", but at that time the simmers were not so happy to see this.

Also, the propeller "strobo" effect seems to affect the planes differently, not alpha/beta tester had to complain on this?

• Upvote 1

its really a very very minor issue to most, thats why its not being mentioned.

there are loads of other minor issues, some will be solved, but not all.

• Like 1

I can't even tell what the issue is that you're trying to highlight.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

13 minutes ago, wim123 said:

its really a very very minor issue to most

Sad but true...

I've pointed it out long ago, and I don't like the animation either. What the human eye sees is basically a semi transparent disc, at least when you are running the engine at normal RPMs. Usual frame rates will not make it possible to show more detail than a uniform disc I would assume. In one of those videos you could see the King Air start up, and once again we had to see several discreet "states" of motion blur on these props. Not so great IMHO.

Not unrelated, I've also seen some pretty amazing light effects at certain sun angles on the prop dics. Not sure if they were intentional, but those at least do happen in real life and are quite neat to have.

• Upvote 2

On 7/30/2020 at 3:54 PM, rampa said:

the propeller animation is still terrible and generating artifacts

I wouldn't say it's terrible, I'd say it's a stylistic choice. Asobo have chosen to show propeller motion as if they were a video recording, rather than what the naked eye sees in reality. Previous versions of FS did it, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but it's what the layman expects.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

well, you know , there is also the issue where in movies wheels seem to turn backwards, but they dont in rl.  (cause is known)

some things are tough to really simulate well, but again to me a very unimportant issue.

with this sim, the really nitpicking kind of people are probably not going to be happy, but i just saw Froogles multiplayer vid, and

thats exactly the kinda thing i like..no doubt some heavy iron pilots curling their long toes..

in the first place any game or simgame should be fun.

i am pretty sure the hardcore simmers in the longer run(3rd party planes) are going to like it too.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:54 PM, rampa said:

In the last videos of the most recent beta of FS2020 the propeller animation is still terrible and generating artifacts, very distracting, despite the excellent graphics and sceneries.

You never should rate the propeller (or other fast animation) from recorded video! During encoding from GPU render frequency to video stream some artefact may occur. So you must wait to see original anination direct from GPU, not recorded.

Wow... I never expected 'propeller animation' to be complained on, as an 'issue'.

But then again, in my opinon, given that such (relatively) minor things are brought up and blown out of proportion, just gives credit to how nice a job Asobo has done with this simulator.

• Like 3

🙂

2 hours ago, rampa said:

Also, the propeller "strobo" effect seems to affect the planes differently, not alpha/beta tester had to complain on this?

How do you know they didn't?  And how do you know it wasn't already improved at least once?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

And thats how we get back to the FPS. This effect wouldn't look too bad at 60FPS or above i'd pretend. It's definately something that looks worse woth lower FPS.

Sorry to bring this up again. ;)

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

4 hours ago, travelabroad said:

Wow... I never expected 'propeller animation' to be complained on, as an 'issue'.

But then again, in my opinon, given that such (relatively) minor things are brought up and blown out of proportion, just gives credit to how nice a job Asobo has done with this simulator.

You just haven't been around enough! In the world of high fidelity add-ons, propeller animation effects are debated and dickered over along with any other shortcoming. Lol. And for the record, I agree with the OP,  they look a bit lame compared to how amazing most other aircraft graphics aspects are presented.

• Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

I think the fact that the OP had to bump his own thread, just to even keep it alive, and this at a time where people appear ready to nitpick the slightest thing in the new MS sim, says it all with regard to how many people are actually bothered about the way the prop animation has been done. 

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OP has a valid post - its my only gripe - that said then they have done an amazing job - prop effect can be changed easy enough I would assume

• Like 1

Rich Sennett