Sign in to follow this  
Nyxx

PMDG NG3 might be closer than we think?

fetch?id=73674&d=1595285876

From Robert

PMDG 737 NG3 for Microsoft Flight Simulator: And now for the main event.

It has been nearly a year since I told you that PMDG stands squarely behind Microsoft’s re-entry to the simming market and we intend to release all of our core product lines (PMDG 737, PMDG 747, PMDG 777, PMDG DC-6) into this platform upon it’s arrival. Since that announcement I have been largely silent on the topic primarily because it didn’t seem to make much sense to share with you the few bits of information that I am allowed to share when so much of what we might share is subject to embargo.

With Microsoft’s announcement of the pending release date for their initial version of the new Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) I have been cleared to give you a bit of a view behind the scenes in order to help set your expectations with regard to PMDG’s products in the coming weeks and months. (For the wannabe lawyers: Yes... We have permission to say/show you what is here. 😁)

Our first product release for MSFS will be the PMDG 737NG3. This product is being built using the core capability that emerges from our historic line of 737NG simulation technology. This product is not merely a conversion of the Prepar3D product line, but is a complete rebuild adapted specifically to utilize the new simulation engine of MSFS. It would be hard for me to overstate the enormity of this task and I will cover some of the reasons for this description in another post perhaps. Suffice to say that for the first time in 23 years, the entire PMDG development team is learning to work with an entirely new development process that bears little resemblance to the methods and technology we have been using for nearly a quarter century. For a number of years, we have all hoped that one day we would see a new simulation platform that capitalizes on the existing core simmer ecosystem while leveraging everything modern hardware has to offer. MSFS is rapidly growing to give us what we have wanted with all of the benefits that come from the speed and capability of a big-budget development effort.

The Faustian Bargain here is that we cannot simply drag our existing code sources over, click a few buttons and output a new product for you. What is required here is a top-down engineering effort to bring our existing technology into the simulator while simultaneously learning everything we can about the new platform so that the product will leverage the new platform in order to give you the greatest simulation experience possible.

I try very hard to stay away from superlatives, but in the case of seeing our prized 737 appear within MSFS it is hard not to dump them judiciously into paragraph after paragraph. Microsoft and their partner, game developer Asobo, have really given us something spectacular to work with in the MSFS engine. As Jason and Vin have been working through the process of building new models for MSFS, they have come spectacularly close to near-photographic quality of images and you can see this in a few of the images here.

The lighting engine in this simulator is spectacular at all times of day. In it's current, still-in-development iteration, the lighting is so convincing that I dare say one of you reading this right now is going to succeed in fooling one of the major airliner photo sites with an image of a PMDG aircraft taken within MSFS over the next couple of years. Maybe not right away, but we are getting very close to seeing the core simulation engine capable of incredible visual fidelity and I will stake a year’s subscription to PMDG Global Flight Operations on that certainty one of you is going to pull it off.

Other aspects of NG3 that you can expect are an entirely new flight model designed using the new capabilities of MSFS, along with a similarly new sound model built to capitalize on capabilities brought to us by the new simulation engine. We have done wonderful things with the 20+ year old methods given to us with FSX and Prepar3D, but this new platform opens up doors we only gazed upon wistfully in other gaming engines. At the core of your airplane, the simulation will remain pure PMDG, with all of the features, failure modes, complexity and simulation value that you have come to expect from our products. We have yet to find any functionality that will be lost, but we are looking at a number of new features we can add to our products moving forward.

These images of the flight deck are intentionally shown without the airplane powered up. This is not done for any purpose of showmanship, but is a decision made intentionally because the powered up flight deck simply isn’t ready for you to see yet. There are aspects of the MSFS SDK/API that aren't finished, and functions still missing that we need in order to bring everything fully to life. We are fortunate to have a wide open channel with Microsoft and Asobo so once these features are implemented, debugged and ready for prime time, we will share those results with you. I am eager, however- as this new simulation engine allows us to do so much without "hacking" the platform to get the results we want- and the finished product really shows improvement.

fetch?id=73675&d=1595285958

Many of you saw the huge leap forward in the complexity and detail of our 737 cockpit model with the release of our NGXu product in November. The PMDG 737NGu is leaps and bounds ahead of the nine year old NGX model you had been using prior to release of NGXu. You will see yet another generational leap forward with the model being used for the new PMDG 737NG3 for MSFS in large part due to the dramatic increase in what the simulation is capable of supporting in terms of model detail, resolution, textures and lighting. The NG3 flight deck is factors larger in terms of polygons and texture size, yet provides no discernible negative effect on the performance of the simulation.

Our modern platform has finally arrived.

We are looking forward to bringing you more previews as our work progresses, but please do understand that we are building our first product release on an entirely new platform and this is taking time. Currently we are looking at a beta testing horizon well into 4Q20, and a release event currently sometime out in late 1Q21. These times could shift forward depending a number of factors and they could slide further out also. Right now it is really hard to tell.

I will keep you apprised of progress with occasional updates on the PMDG 737NG3 as it progresses through development. My hope is that the things currently slowing us down will finally lose their grip on our productivity and we will accelerate enough to give you news of a closer-in release timeline as we near the end of summer. (For the news sites that are rushing to be the first to regurgitate what I have written here, please do not shortcut the previous sentence by saying “Randazzo thinks release might happen at end of summer.” That isn’t what the sentence says. Please slow down, re-read what I wrote- and report accurately that I think if we see the timeline shift it will happen at the end of summer… )

The astute will note that in this thread I am speaking only of our own product without addressing many points about MSFS itself. I will do that in a separate thread, as putting all of that into a single conversation is a bit like trying to eat your entire birthday cake at the same time, and we wouldn’t want you to get a stomach ache, would we?

All of the images provided here are "in development" and changes are being made daily as we work to get the animations and parts flowing as they should. These are still early days and Microsoft has only *just* given us permission to share some of these images with you (including the watermarks... sorry!) but more are coming. These are exciting times to be part of the simming community and we are eager to get started with this new version of our favorite short-hauler.

Click image for larger version  Name: PMDG_NG3_screenshot3.jpg Views: 10 Size: 907.1 KB ID: 73676

Click image for larger version  Name: PMDG_NG3_screenshot6.jpg Views: 10 Size: 811.6 KB ID: 73677

Click image for larger version  Name: PMDG_NG3_screenshot9.jpg Views: 10 Size: 688.2 KB ID: 73678

Click image for larger version  Name: PMDG_737NG3_MSFS_05.jpg Views: 10 Size: 799.8 KB ID: 73679

Click image for larger version  Name: PMDG_737NG3_MSFS_08.jpg Views: 11 Size: 674.7 KB ID: 73680

Enjoy!

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

it's at least 6 months to a year away.

• Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

It's not though. It literally says Q4 2020 for testing and most likely Q1 2021 for release. Also since not everyone has a PMDG forum account:

ealHZCs.png

SesImJA.png

C7vtm7a.png

HfR8Rsj.png

58RJTKP.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Remember this is PMDG. You have to add some padding in there. It's most likely not before Q2 2021 for the mortal like us. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

4 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Remember this is PMDG. You have to add some padding in there. It's most likely not before Q2 2021 for the mortal like us. 

which is expected, we have been discussing the same timelines for a long time, not less than a year for big developers to launch their products in the new Sim

• Like 1

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Did PMDG say anything about an SDK for the NG3? I.e. the SDK like the one for NGX, or if that functionality is now available via the MSFS SDK somehow.

Your title is misleading. It seems to be exactly as far away from release as I expected it to be. When PMDG talks about a late Q1 2021 release I expect an end of Q2, to mid Q3 release, which would be about a year from now.

That is worse than I hoped (I really had wished for a Q3 2020 release), but totally in line with their track record.

Edited by Farlis
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Your title is misleading. It seems to be exactly as far away from release as I expected it to be. When PMDG talks about a late Q1 2021 release I expect an end of Q2, to mid Q3 release, which would be about a year from now.

That is worse than I hoped (I really had wished for a Q3 2020 release), but totally in line with their track record.

In terms of development cycles it's actually pretty close to what we have been used too in the past...

André

59 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

Ah, I was replying to the OP about it "being closer then we think".

Everyone saying there's nothing new here, maybe not to you. But a lot of naysayers have been thinking 2-3 years for a PMDG release. Now we are talking 6-10 months. That's much sooner than originally predicted. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

but totally in line with their track record

Yes, they really should do better, shouldn't they? FSL haven't even said if they will support the new sim - now that would be a long wait.

• Like 1

David Porrett

I don't know why people are giving OP a hard time I was thinking we won't see a PMDG release until the end of 2021 but looks like they have done a lot already we might see something early next year - this is amazing!

• Like 1

Absolutely amazing. With all the stuff coming out about MFS, I can safely say that this definitely is the next generation flight sim that I've been waiting for.

I thought PMDG was going to do the MAX for MFS?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU