Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Benefits of Steam, Windows purchase stores

@G-RFRY Hi...shut what down? The only thing that I typically will still have running after shuttong down a Steam game would be if that game uses a proprietary launcher (such as call of duty using the Battle.net launcher app). No need to use task manager though, as youll clearly see any running launchers in your taskbar/hidden icons...just right click and choose exit.

Edited by hangar

11 minutes ago, hangar said:

Both MS store and Steam use their own form of copy protection on everything that gets installed on your computer.

Not completely accurate. Farming Simulator - on Steam - has a separate Mods folder for user created mods. But - although not common - it is also possible to override original install files in the Steam folder.

The only encrypted files are those for paid DLCs, that resides in a specific subdirectory of the Steam app main folder.

Marco Manieri

Perugia - Italy

169055.png

Screenshot (323)

You can shut them down using task bar link but until you reboot or shut them down manually they will stay in the background processes.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marco Manieri said:

Not completely accurate. Farming Simulator - on Steam - has a separate Mods folder for user created mods. But - although not common - it is also possible to override original install files in the Steam folder.

The only encrypted files are those for paid DLCs, that resides in a specific subdirectory of the Steam app main folder.

While there are many Steam based games that will keep user files, map files & mod folders external to the Steam folder itself (i.e. user mod files inside of Documents\MyGames), the game is still constantly monitored via their copy protection. I'm not saying you can't bypass/circumvent and hack certain things, but that is not the point here.

6 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Screenshot (323)

You can shut them down using task bar link but until you reboot or shut them down manually they will stay in the background processes.  

Ok I see what you're referring to now.

I think it may depend upon the game as I don't get that issue any longer with the games I've been playing as of late...although I HAVE seen that happen at some point as well. Could also be a Win10/launcher niglet 🙂

I never did bother tracking it down as win10 can be a real PITA, so I just did what you did...killed it in task manager.

Edited by hangar

I never get any missing dll errors on Steam games. Never had any issues with Steam installing erroneous files either. For me, Steam has always functioned great and without any hitches. While it is super convenient as far as game patches and reinstalling things, I've always worried about my account getting hacked because if that happens and you have a lot of money invested by owning alof games on Steam...you could potentially lose access to all of that if hacked since all of your games and investment is tied to a single user account. But other than that caveat, Steam has been pretty darn painless & easy to use as far as a gaming platform.

But also keep in mind that I've never used it for any Flight simming. I have used it for Arma which I do a TON of modding/coding/editing for, and always have access to a pure file/folder structure which I can freely edit with my mods.

Edited by hangar
  • Upvote 1

Just now, hangar said:

I never get any missing dll errors on Steam games. Never had any issues with Steam installing erroneous files either. For me, Steam has always functioned great and without any hitches. While it is super convenient as far as game patches and reinstalling things, I've always worried about my account getting hacked because if that happens and you have a lot of money invested by owning alof games on Steam...you could potentially lose access to all of that if hacked since all of your games and investment is tied to a single user account. But other than that caveat, Steam has been pretty darn painless & easy to use as far as a gaming platform.

But also keep in mind that I've never used it for any Flight simming. I have used it for Arma which I do a TON of modding for though, and always have access to a pure file/folder structure which I can freely edit with my mods.

Make sure you get two-factor authentication enabled, so your account is safe 🙂

• Like 5

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

@G-RFRY, linking directly to a DLL is potentially dangerous which is why I’ve hidden your post.

I suggest you link to the website so people can judge whether they wish to continue.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

So we will not see addon install problem on the MSFS:SE like the ones on FSX:SE. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

There might, just might, be a way of implementing VR via Steam VR on Oculus etc, a little earlier than official MS support appearing. Reading between the lines...

• Like 1

I will wait till the release and see what people say steam or store.  See my another post regarding my windows store experience (it is not fun) especially with my setup.

I am leaning with steam but at the same time updates will always come home to MS Store first.  Think about it.  It is their store, they would want it to be used more.  Why release on it if it would not benefit MS.

Challenging call right now.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

On 8/8/2020 at 8:44 AM, Sethos said:

Oh there absolutely is. Which also spawned interesting articles like this; My confusing, 10-day journey to getting a UWP game to work on Windows 10

Ouch.  That brought back some painful memories of trying to uninstall a demo version of a Forza product, and it taking a lengthy process of googling and attempting different tweaks before finally getting it to go away.  More to the point, it reminded be of the weirdness in my system after a crash while installing the latest Win10 feature update, which led to a whole series of recommended GetAppPackageX commands that would fail without any explanation, leading to a recommended "solution" of wiping my entire system and starting with a clean install of Windows.  After experiencing an MTSD episode from the memory, my mind is made up:  I'll go with Steam, which has never given me a problem.

• Upvote 1

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

19 hours ago, revporl said:

There might, just might, be a way of implementing VR via Steam VR on Oculus etc, a little earlier than official MS support appearing. Reading between the lines...

Yep, that's why I'm leaning towards buying on Steam too. Because Steam possibly wouldn't allow VR games on its platform that will restrict the choice of devices.

• Upvote 2

I feel like I won't have to tinker with FS2020 as much as I had to in the past with FSX/FS2004 as long as there is a good package installer for freeware I won't have a problem purchasing from the Windows store.

• Like 1