Sign in to follow this  
Ident

Benefits of Steam, Windows purchase stores

24 minutes ago, MikeT707 said:

In order to use the Steam Workshop to create mods, is this only available if you purchase the game in Steam? Also, if you want to download Steam Workshop mods into MSFS, would you have to have purchased MSFS via Steam or could you have purchased the sim via the MS Store?

Interesting question... I'm also curious about the in-game marketplace. Will they be connected? Will steam just launch the Microsoft store when you play, so they will be connected that way? Will we end up having some freeware on Steam that people who bought from the Microsoft store wont have access to? 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

I didn't think the Steam Workshop would be open for MSFS. Has this been confirmed?

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

Steam is a pile of Steaming you know what - cant even reset password to buy a game have to give your first born all set 

Rich Sennett

My take on this would be. If you by direct from MS and you need support, you go to MS and they should offer support.

If you buy from steam and something goes wrong and you ask for support, they may say “we didn’t make it, go to MS”. When you go to MS they may say “you didn’t get it from us, go to Steam”

You can see the scenario. 

Edited by antonvs
  • Like 1

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

7 minutes ago, antonvs said:

My take on this would be. If you by direct from MS and you need support, you go to MS and they should offer support.

If you buy from steam and something goes wrong and you ask for support, they may say “we didn’t make it, go to MS”. When you go to MS they may say “you didn’t get it from us, go to Steam”

You can see the scenario. 

I don't think I've contacted support for a game issue in 15+ years, does it even exist anymore? Anything can usually be found in a message board in minutes.

Edited by reignman40

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

There will be no Steam Workshop, the game isn't steamwork. That's why you need an Xbox Account regardless of the platform and the multiplayer is handled by Xbox Live, not Steam

It would make absolutely no sense to implement it when they already have their own internal marketplace system. 

9 hours ago, antonvs said:

The support from MS has already proven to be, putting it politely "lacklustre"; just the usual nonsense of hours waiting to be told "reinstall" Windows blah blah blah, completely clueless, see:

UWP, coupled with other issues such as this below, has convinced me I shall be purchasing on Steam:

Edited by ckyliu
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

still not bought, but MS are offering 7% discount Via a cashback site, making a little saving.

I was going to buy the boxed edition, but unsure on  what support you would get if you have issues.

Will wait till the weekend before buying, But MS store looks favorite

just hoping that the graphics card will handle it "XFX Radeon RX 570 XXX 8GB Graphics Card "  It says it will 

Edited by malct

Hello,

Can anyone finally confirm if the FlightSimulator20020 directory is not locked when the Steam install is used?  With Xbox Pass that directory is not accessible.  UWP of course.

Cheers

5 hours ago, Glasairmell said:

Can anyone finally confirm if the FlightSimulator20020 directory is not locked when the Steam install is used?

Can you be a bit more specific? I have been through all of the files and should be able to let you know. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

@MikeT707 At the moment I am using Xbox Game Pass monthly subscription offer and can not access any of the MSFS2020 files like .cfg s.  The WindowsApps directory is owned by TrustedInstaller and it can not be accessed. UWP style install looks like to me.  Changing permissions on that directory can produce unsatisfactory results as experienced in other games.

I was wondering if Steam purchase or buying the MSFS2020 from the store outright installs the game not as TrustedInstaller.

A friend of mine was able to change the TMB 930 cfg file for FSE TBM 850 use.  There is no way I can see that file.  He has a directory called FlightSimulator20020 which I do not see.  It would also be nice to access key mapping cfgs for using the sim on other rigs and not having to go through that setup.

Of course I have access to AppData files.

Thank you and I hope I made the question clearer.

ADDED:  I found the cfg file here.

C:\Users\mellc\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-aircraft-tbm930\SimObjects\Airplanes\Asobo_TBM930

Cheers!

Edited by Glasairmell