Sign in to follow this  
Alixe

Contrast Brightness problem in MFS 20

Salut,

This problem was very intense on the MFS images in 2019, since they have improved this problem quite a bit on the bing textures. But there is still a lot of area to be treated ...
And the second problem is that all aircraft instrument panels have very poor contrast.
Here are 2 images that of MFS20 and the one that I retouched.
Will hope that at Asobo Studio, they will quickly correct this problem, that's really disturbing!

Image 1 : In  the simulation Mfs 

originale.jpg

2 : Retouched :

retouche.jpg

• Upvote 1

CM-Gygabyte Z370-CPu Intel I5 8600 K 4.6 GHz-RAM 32Go-W10 1903 - GPU :RTX 2070 super (équivalent à RTX 2080 en moins cher...)8Go -tTriple screen 24' incurve -165 htz- Pédalier Saitek -Hotas warthog- FMC-Effis-MCP OpenCokpit et divers boitiers boutons.

the idea is that the settings are done correctly! 😉
Personally, I am a photographer, my screens are calibrated with a probe and I don't want to disturb my screens with a cursor!

It's up to Asobo to ask the designers to do their job properly !

• Like 1

CM-Gygabyte Z370-CPu Intel I5 8600 K 4.6 GHz-RAM 32Go-W10 1903 - GPU :RTX 2070 super (équivalent à RTX 2080 en moins cher...)8Go -tTriple screen 24' incurve -165 htz- Pédalier Saitek -Hotas warthog- FMC-Effis-MCP OpenCokpit et divers boitiers boutons.

13 minutes ago, Alixe said:

the idea is that the settings are done correctly! 😉
Personally, I am a photographer, my screens are calibrated with a probe and I don't want to disturb my screens with a cursor!

It's up to Asobo to ask the designers to do their job properly !

Based on a screenshot or the real game 😉

André

4 hours ago, Alixe said:

Salut,

Will hope that at Asobo Studio, they will quickly correct this problem, that's really disturbing!

imageproxy.php?img=&key=457d1266f4d80651

2 : Retouched : please don't touch anything again.  

The only thing disturbing here is that you think the 2nd one looks 'better'. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Alixe said:

And the second problem is that all aircraft instrument panels have very poor contrast.

Pretty sure there is some exposure compensation going on, something we've never seen before afaik. Watch the scene 21:05-21:15 very closely (also later at 23:45 for example), have a look at the dynamic range and stark brightness difference between outside and inside. Before anyone has the urge to educate us again, I know it's not "the sim" but just a video, but still. It's very clear the exposure will be adjusted based on lighting conditions and obviously viewing direction. While it might make the panels harder to read here and there, I find it super awesome. Kudos Asobo. It's basically what you'd experience irl. I already had the impression this might come from a number of screenshots with remarkably "dark" panels.

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doug47 said:

The only thing disturbing here is that you think the 2nd one looks 'better'. :rolleyes:

I disagree with you. The cockpit is way too dark. The "gray" on the retouched has a bit too much 'green' though, IMHO.

• Like 4

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I found other images and finally I have no more worries, because with the cokpit lighting it's great.
here I am reassured.

ok.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It probably has to do with how the bloom works (or HDR if you have a HDR display). The sim probably guesses where you are looking and adjusts the 'exposure' accordingly, only problem with simulating that is like you said, it can create a scene where the cockpit can be unnecessarily dark. Most likely disabling bloom will help with this.

Edited by suncoastflyer
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

6 hours ago, badderjet said:

Pretty sure there is some exposure compensation going on, something we've never seen before afaik. Watch the scene 21:05-21:15 very closely (also later at 23:45 for example), have a look at the dynamic range and stark brightness difference between outside and inside. Before anyone has the urge to educate us again, I know it's not "the sim" but just a video, but still. It's very clear the exposure will be adjusted based on lighting conditions and obviously viewing direction. While it might make the panels harder to read here and there, I find it super awesome. Kudos Asobo. It's basically what you'd experience irl. I already had the impression this might come from a number of screenshots with remarkably "dark" panels.

You are right. This is a common technique in modern games but perhaps the first use of this in a flight sim. I forget if DCS uses this or not.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

I disagree with you. The cockpit is way too dark. The "gray" on the retouched has a bit too much 'green' though, IMHO.

Cockpit sure. But outside view and sky ruined.  One or the other and I’ll take the environment first looking good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, n4gix said:

I disagree with you. The cockpit is way too dark.

Why? I’m pretty sure it could even be a lot darker on an actual photograph. You may argue it’s a matter of taste, but it’s the very first time we have an actually photorealistic lighting… instead of the „pseudo–HDR“ of the past that wasn’t even intentional for the lack of better graphical possibilities, where every part of the image was exposed „correctly“, looking directly into the sun and having a perfectly lit and readable panel in front, under the glareshield. Completely unrealistic and I’m glad these times are over as it seems. As I stated before as a hobby photographer I’m very happy to have this effect. Super cool.

4 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

It probably has to do with how the bloom works (or HDR if you have a HDR display). The sim probably guesses where you are looking and adjusts the 'exposure' accordingly, only problem with simulating that is like you said, it can create a scene where the cockpit can be unnecessarily dark. Most likely disabling bloom will help with this.

Exactly what I was saying above. I wonder though what it would do on an HDR display. Guess the exposure shouldn’t adjust then.

4 hours ago, Slides said:

You are right. This is a common technique in modern games but perhaps the first use of this in a flight sim. I forget if DCS uses this or not.

That’s great. Don’t know much about other (especially current) games, but I can’t remember I have seen it in any flight sim so far. Another first!

• Upvote 1

Adjusting the gamma is not a solution as then the outside is too bright and washed out. The cockpit definitely does look too dark in some conditions. Our eyes are not limited like cameras. They adjust very quickly as we look from the panel to the outside and back. Even with sun glasses on, I have no trouble seeing the panel IRL when flying toward the sun.

• Like 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

Correct, then again the eyes have a much greater dynamic range than cameras. And the adaption can be seen in the sim, although being probably not as fast as the human eye.

The simple explanation:  If you look in the cockpit the panel brightens.  If you look out the window, the panel darkens.  This is one of the first things I noticed when I upgraded from P3Dv2 to v4.  MSFS does it better than P3D.

This works very well with TrackIR at a high zoom (I'm using 90, was 80 before TrackIR).  I'm not sure what it would do with VR.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;