Sign in to follow this  
hangar

So...regarding options to replace the lackluster ATC

7 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I only see them click the corresponding menu item and the frequency change happens automatically. 

Ah, ok.  That happened in FSX/P3D as well.  I always tuned the radios manually.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

8 minutes ago, Wewk584 said:

Maybe a second way to do it wouldnt hurt. 

I think a simple change of wording on the ATC menu would cover it.  Just something to let you know you're talking to the ground crew instead of the tower.

9 minutes ago, Wewk584 said:

i could never find a 3rd party addon offline solution for ATC that i liked with my current sim.

Maybe those aren't as easy to create as people think. 😄 

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

The pushback system as it is now I hope is scrapped completely. I hope Asobo understands it is better to just have a silent pushback that just works instead of using dialogue and having this crazy delay between you giving the order and the action being deployed. I don't even think I need to mention it - I bet they know this already. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

32 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

just have a silent pushback that just works

Left-shift P.  Silent pushback that just works.  Press it again to stop.

Hook

• Upvote 1

Larry Hookins

Help me understand this.  You get ride of the default ATC how will you interact with the in sim AI traffic?  Using live ATC (people in our community part timing as Air Traffic Controllers) doesn't solve the problem of AI traffic either or real world traffic as they aren't going to follow the rules all the time.  I'm not a big fan of interacting with other simmers flying around in the sim as your going to have the word not allowed who wants to be stupid and run into other simmer's aircraft on purpose or block active runways trying to be funny.  I've seen Youtube videos where people have word not allowed others off being stupid in the sim.  Default ATC has it's purpose although not for everybody.

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

For GA flying, the default ATC will suffice. I don't think it will take too long for P2ATC and VOXATC to put something out there, followed by something even better in the default sim.

Hoping for VOXATC to support MSFS2020 in the near future. Sure there will be VATSIM, but for "offline" flying there is nothing better imo.

• Like 2

I was quite happy with proatc on P3D, sure it has its weaknesses but overall the experience was pretty good. One thing that I really loved was that it creates a really deep "aviation atmosphere" with users uploading ATC voices from different regions and the different pilots talking in your radio sounded very real.

The bad thing is that proatc is discontinued, in their forums nobody heard about the developers for many months (years probably), and not even the mods know nothing about them. So I don´t see it coming for MFS, but I agree that a "more professional" ATC is really needed.

Cheers

Carlos

NLR Motion Platform V3, Intel Core i9-9900K OC @ 5Ghz, Gigabyte Gaming OC 11GB RTX 2080ti, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra. Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing LED RGB 360. Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3000 PC4-24000 32GB 4x8GB CL15. Lexar Professional NM700 M.2 2280 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1TB SSD. Toughpower iRGB Plus 80 Plus Platinum 850W Full Modular. Thermaltake View32 TG USB 3.0 RGB. Oculus Rift S. Qled Samsung 65Q7FN.

7 hours ago, LHookins said:

Left-shift P.  Silent pushback that just works.  Press it again to stop.

Hook

Yeah I know, but they should still remove the push back through ATC, or at least just have it do what you want instantly. None of this wait for them to finish speaking for them to start, stop, turn etc. 

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I think there are plans for P2ATC to be adapted for MSFS but the designer was turned down for Alpha testing so has to wait until full release to start development. It has its own forum on here and someone asked him the question. I enjoy using it in XP11 with voice recognition, will keep an open mind about the new ATC until I can give it a try. Voice recognition would be good though. 

I really hope, that P2ATC will come to MSFS 2020 someday, in FSX ATC wasn´t so impressive as anybody remembers. The constant altitude changes I´m flying FL 180 " decent to FL 160", when I´m at the assigned altitude ATC said "Climb to FL 180" and so on. As for AI/Live Traffic I would like to hear what other planes and ATC are "talking" just to keep simulator alive, sort of a background chatter. Now in X-Plane with P2ATC, you don´t hear nothing, just when ATC tells you to change Center freqency. During long flights that in my opinion a bit boring, but let´s see what next week brings

Some things I love to see in the ATC are:

- Dynamically assign SID/STAR/rwy due to weather and current live traffic (for larger aircrafts)
- Dynamically assign rwy due to weather for smaller aircrafts
- Place you in holdings if required
- Possibility to go from VFR to IFR if weather changes
- Deny you landing clearance if conditions are to bad at destination
- Help you with vectoring if you are not in a SID/STAR/route
- Direct you (with vectors) to nearest suitable airport if you declare an emergency

(Note 1: I am not in beta and do not know if some of this is already there)
(Note 2: I have used ProATC/X for many years and loved it)

• Like 1

Its a bit disappointing that the ATC is going to be so poor, you'd think lessons would be learnt from FSX and I can imagine its one of the big features simmers really wanted to see improve. 

I know people will say "wait for the 3PD/payware" but I reckon like most people I don't want to be spending another 500 quid, paying £40-50 a pop to improve on every grievance or underwhelming feature the developers haven't bothered to make an effort with. 

Considering some of the other high tech level stuff these guys have worked into the game, even implementing fairly technically simple ideas mentioned by the poster above would improve it immeasurably. 

Edited by AllRed
  • Like 1

Apparently it is the developer's intention to have Multi Crew Experience work with the new sim. 🙂

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

On 8/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, LHookins said:

I haven't messed with the radio, but I notice the frequencies change.  Is this something you've set up the copilot to do?  Once I got things set up the way I wanted I never looked at any of those menus again.

Hook

One of the options is to have your right seater handle the coms for you. If you turn that option off you can tune com/nav freqs yourself...

Actually both FSX and P3D will 'autotune' your radios via the UI if you don't do it yourself first.

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator