Sign in to follow this  
atlflyer

99% GPU Usage?!

^ I think I'm the only one who hates this video.

It's a little depressing to me because I'm reading in between the lines and by doing this I can clearly see performance issues here that are bothering me. First of all, if you look at the cessna footage it's pretty clear to me that he's not getting a true 30+ fps...the only time he pops out of the 25 range is when his view is pointing into the clear blue sky...when the ground is showing out in front of him on his takeoff roll he is not getting 30fps, it's more like 25 and if you look out the side a bit you can almost see the frames refresh. Then watch as he begins to perform turns after taking off at a smaller airport with all the forested trees around...VERY choppy in frames and smoothness...and this is in the cessna, a small and default aircraft. Also, there's no thick clouds and rain needing to be rendered there either...that'll shake things up worse...and so will any air or ground traffic added in.

Forget the frame numbers...just look at how the screens are refreshing with the naked eye, this is not smooth in many cases, especially at times when you're going to want it to be as smooth as possible like on final approach.

All I can think to myself after watching this, is that I certainly hope there's a huge difference between ultra and high or ultra and medium settings. I have a GTX1080 on an 8700k with 16GB system memory...I was hoping to get butter smooth results on final approach with clouds/rain/some ground traffic and at least medium settings or high at places like LaGuardia.

Edited by hangar

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

I'm wondering how my EVGA 980 Ti Classified will handle this at 1080P. 😌

based on user benchmark website, yours is ranked 1 below his card in the video on this thread. Looking at the specs down the board you are practically identical. Assuming you have similar/better CPU and RAM it should perform just like his. 

35 minutes ago, hangar said:

Forget the frame numbers...just look at how the screens are refreshing with the naked eye, this is not smooth in many cases, especially at times when you're going to want it to be as smooth as possible like on final approach.

Do note he is capturing with OBS and then transcoding to YouTube that is known to introduce stutters. He did also say in the comments that he noticed litte difference from 16 GB RAM in the alpha to the 32 GB he now has with the beta, and that clouds don't really seem to make much difference to framerate. Although I do agree that we should focus less on numbers and more on feel, I don't think you can really do that until you have it sat i front of you.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 hour ago, nigelmcelwee said:

I noticed on some videos that the GPUs are running at near full speed. I have never played a game where it ran further than 50-60% power. 99% seems like a stress test! 

I usually play at adaptive half refresh 30 FPS so I can enjoy a smooth experience and not tax the GPU hard. I know my machine could run it faster but to the expense of burning out the card?

It's correct, because the most od work do a GPU.

1 minute ago, ckyliu said:

Do note he is using OBS and then transcoding to YouTube that is known to introduced stutters.

good to know... hard to do all this judging from videos...hard to do, and yet hard to stop yourself from doing it all at the same time 🙂

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nigelmcelwee said:

based on user benchmark website, yours is ranked 1 below his card in the video on this thread. Looking at the specs down the board you are practically identical. Assuming you have similar/better CPU and RAM it should perform just like his. 

Hmm, he has twice as much RAM as me but I have a delidded 8700K that will do 5 GHz on all cores with ease. I'll be on High settings me thinks, with some individual settings set lower. I detest low frame rate, am very sensitive to it, so have no issues dropping settings to achieve higher frame rate. 

I could afford to increase RAM if its definitively proven to help.

Edited by martin-w

4 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Hmm, he has twice as much RAM as me but I have a delidded 8700K that will do 5 GHz on all cores with ease. I'll be on High settings me thinks, with some individual settings set lower. I detest low frame rate, am very sensitive to it, so have no issues dropping settings to achieve higher frame rate. 

I think you will be just fine if you steer clear of the biggest cities. I stick to regional airports in smaller cities and it suits me just fine in other sims. Reflections and shadows look amazing but they do eat up FPS so I typically notch these down a tick or two. ground traffic I usually keep at around 10% because I dont want a dead world but I dont need gridlock on the 405! 

1 minute ago, atlflyer said:

I think you will be just fine if you steer clear of the biggest cities. I stick to regional airports in smaller cities and it suits me just fine in other sims. Reflections and shadows look amazing but they do eat up FPS so I typically notch these down a tick or two. ground traffic I usually keep at around 10% because I dont want a dead world but I dont need gridlock on the 405! 

Well it seems highly configurable, so hopefully I can find a nice balance. 

Running at 100% is how a GPU should work on a modern game. If you want it running 50% why bother to buy a powerful one (like the 2080 ti).

If you want it to run with lower usage, just limit the framerates, it will run cooler and consume less power, but again, why would you buy a top of the line GPU to just limit it? You better buy something cheaper.

GPUs are made to run at 100% usage. Don’t worry about it. They have a lot of features to avoid thermal problems. They won’t run hotter than they are supposed to.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

I don’t get the big deal here. I’d turn up my settings on FSX so my GPU is peaking 90%+. I want it to work for me not sit dormant. 
Temps don’t increase that much and fans barely spin any more unless you have a poorly built system? 

• Like 1

There's no way you can fry a Pascal GPU, relax

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

Hahahaha for years people complained that the gpu wasn’t getting a work out. Now that it is, and it’s being used as designed (ie at 100%), people are worried. Of what? 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Turn off your video capture software; that should free up some resources.

Is there any idea as when DX12 will be incorporated? What sort of performance increases should we see with it?

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

Given current RAM prices, definitely a worthy upgrade @ not too much of a cost...