Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

Cannot find an .exe file for MSFS2020

Hello all,

Can someone tell me if it is normal not to have a desktop icon to start MSFS2020.

I have three folders in my SSD where FS2020 is installed ... they are:-

Program Files .. ModifiableWindowsApps .. This is empty

WindowsApps ... this folder is denying me entry

WpSystem which leads to AppData sub folders 

I have looked in my Drive C (Windows10) but cannot find anything that looks remotely like a MSFS exe file.

I need help here please ... I am completely stymied.

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Welcome to Microsoft.

The hidden folders you see contain Junctions (Symbolic links) to where the actual files are stored. MS has done it this way in an effort to allow us to install MFS on any drive of choice.

If you Chose D:- to install your sim the Hidden WindowsApps folder with point to Another WindowsApps folder on your D:- drive. This one you can see in. This is where you will find the fiightsimulator.exe file.

A lot of other configuration files are stored in the C:- Appdata-local folder, including Flight plans and saved flights.

I have spent the last few hours trying to find where other configuration files like joystick/throttle configurations are stored.

This is only the tip of the iceberg, hope it helps a little.

Edited by antonvs

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Apps that are from microsoft store have their files and folders hidden. 

They are located in WindowsApps. You have to change folder permissions to access the files and folders. Changing this folder permissions might break other Windows apps. 

Edited by Branimir

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

Hello again,

Thanks for your replies. 

I am at a loss here, I have to admit. What folder do I have to change and how do I do that?

What mystifies me is that we(?) have to go through this process as a standard operation after the installation.  Is there any reason why an .exe icon is not automatically placed on the desktop as is normal in every other sim I have.  

Is it possible that I have done something wrong with the installation which has prevented that icon being placed on the desktop.

I have never had to change a permission before and have no idea how to proceed. I  followed the You have been denied permission etc  and pressed the security tab as directed. I then clicked "advanced" to continue. This took me to another page where I had to click continue again. This led me to a page which shows 8 principals :

Trusted Installer                  - Full control

S-1-15-3-1024-373.....        - Read and ex

SYSTEM                             - Full control

LOCAL SERVICE               - Read and ex

NETWORK SERVICE        - Read and ex

RESTRICTED                    - Read and ex

Administrators (DESKT      - List folder

Users (DESKTOP-JVL4C  - Read and ex

Which one of these (if any ) do I have to play around with?

Is everyone else having to go through this procedure?

Thanks for your help guys

Tony

• Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I am having the same issues, I am trying to set up my RTSS scanline 1/2 but cannot pointed to my fiightsimulator.exe

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

Depends if you have the stand alone sim or via xbox for PC. With xbox you have to start MFS via the xbox app.

For the stand alone version, there should be a link in the Start menu.

With regard to the locked WindowsApps folder you don’t have to change its permission (nor should you), This only points to another unlocked folder either on your c:- drive or on another drive if you pointed to that in your install process.

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

ttbq1,

I have no idea what you are talking about with RTSS scanline, so I cannot help you there mate...sorry.

This install (which I thought was remarkably smooth and uncomplicated) is turning into somewhat of a nightmare. I am becoming more and more convinced that, all of this is unnecessary and that I have done something horribly wrong. This is actually reinforced by the fact that I am the first (to my knowledge) to raise this issue.

If it was not a six hour down load, I would simply uninstall and reinstall the whole thing. Again, I cannot believe the fact that there is no desktop icon (.exe) to click on to simply get the programme loaded. and running.

I ask again guys ... has everybody else got a desktop icon?

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

Hi click on windows start then scroll to MFS then left click and drag to desktop.

Lynchie

• Like 3

Lynchie,

That works for me and you have me undying gratitude mate.  Very much appreciated.

ttbq1, I hope this solves your problem too. Good Luck mate.

Thank you to all the respondents to this post. I have appreciated your efforts to help me out.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

I repeat myself:

• Like 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

24 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Lynchie,

That works for me and you have me undying gratitude mate.  Very much appreciated.

Thank you to all the respondents to this post. I have appreciated your efforts to help me out.

Cheers

Tony

Hi mate, glad I could help.

Lynchie

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Lynchie,

Cheers

Tony

Don’t worry Tony, I have found a workaround to my scan line issue.

Thanks!

Ramon De Valencia

Intel i9 13900k @ stock / Windows 11 64 bit / 64GB DDR5 5600MHz CL36 RAM / GTX 4090 24GB VRAM / 1000 watt PSU

As i said weeks ago, in Steam you have the good old access to all files. Dont know why people buy it via the Store. At the beginning we all thought its a must, but then came the Steam announcement...

Steam has clearly only advantages, and this is the biggest one.

• Like 1

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

1 hour ago, Paladin2005 said:

As i said weeks ago, in Steam you have the good old access to all files. Dont know why people buy it via the Store. At the beginning we all thought its a must, but then came the Steam announcement...

Steam has clearly only advantages, and this is the biggest one.

Maybe I am wrong but isn't steam redirecting users to the Xbox application  for final install?

Well guys, this is  mystery install that's for sure!

I made a folder on my clean SSD drive (D) called MSFS2020...

Downloaded the files from the STORE (not steam) and pointed it to this folder... installation went smoothly with no issues and subsequently was able to play the sim for a good while

When trying to set up my NVIDIA control panel settings for it i went to the folder and the ONLY folders in the MSFS2020 folder are: Community and Official! There is NOTHING in the community folder and in the official folder there is another folder called One Store, inside that are multitudes of folders namely planes and scenery...NO exe anywhere!!

In the NVIDIA control panel and (GRD) it did have many MSFS exe's to choose from but im not sure which one to point too!

I hope that its installed it all to the right place and files aren't all over the show! Why does it have to be so darn hard to find a simple exe file!

i9 13900KF @ 5.5Ghz | MoBo MSI PRO Z690-A WiFi | Corsair Vengeance Black RGB RS 64gb DDR4 3200MHz | PNY RTX 4090 XLR Gaming Verto EPIC-X RGB TF | MP33 Pro 1TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD for OS | Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" 4TB SSD SATA2 | Corsair RM1000X 2021 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU | Antec Dark Fleet DF700 Flux Gaming Case | Win 11 home | LG 48" C2 OLED 4K TV | G512 Keyboard | Razer Basilisk V2 Mouse | TCA Throttle, Sidestick and addons, peddles, TM1600 Hotas | TrackIR 5 | Tobii Eye Tracker | HP Reverb G2 HMD

Doug