Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Somewhat disappointed - Still a Beta game

2 hours ago, Agrajag said:

I'm sure if you ask Asobo, off the record, they likely would have preferred to have more time to get the kinks worked out, but the publisher always has another agenda. That's also the nature of the beast. Again, let's see where we are in 3 months, 6 months and a year.

I totally agree. I feel they (|MS) pushed for this earlier release. From what Im reading on the forums (I dont own the sim) it ideally needed many more months to "bake in the oven". Perhaps even till the end of the year. Anyway its out now, too late for all that thinking!

2 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Have you not seen the YouTube reviews where the reviewer gets a Honeycomb yoke, Thrustmaster TPR pedals etc etc to "help them review"? (one was posted yesterday here, for example). 

I'm also not going to being deleting X-Plane or P3D v5 any time soon (which is, I think, a much less controversial suggestion than it was 2 days back!)

I did see one of those vids on here with the lady unboxing a yoke and assembling rudder pedals. What happens to that hardware after they review? Do they get a choice to buy them or do they have to send them back?

I dont own MSFS yet but when I get it after about a year I will keep XP11 installed, I cannot give up the Zibo and still have a certain fondness for the sim itself even though I know it cannot visually match the new sim.

1 hour ago, langly said:

After spending 24 hours with it now, the excitement honestly wore off after exploring my hometown (which looks amazing) and boredom kinda sank in. This is probably due to the lack of 3rd party addons right now, but it will not be my main sim (although I won't stop playing it, either).

The Good:

• The sim has amazing scenery, lighting, and weather... the best we've ever seen and it's not even remotely close.
  • The flight modeling is also top notch and the possibilities of 3rd party developers looks bright
  • The default GA planes are fun and beautiful (despite a bunch of INOP switches)

The Bad:

• The UI is complete trash when it comes to usability; although it looks nice, it's completely unintuitive in a lot of places. For example, when binding a key that's already bound, it doesn't unbind the original, leaving you with 2 actions bound to 1 key. In what world was this missed during the alpha/beta?! Then there's the camera system which could have a 200 page manual written for it and you'd still not know how it all functions. 
  • There's no (obvious) way to change your plane or airport other than exiting out to the main menu and restarting your flight, which is a 2 minute endeavor just to load in (hint: the dev menu allows you to change your plane mid-flight).
  • The sim stutters and textures are slow to load, with blurries appearing all around the aircraft. As mentioned in the OP, the autopilot is a complete crapshoot on whether it even works depending on the plane you're in. 
  • I was unable to customize weather mid flight while in a Group which sucked. There's no way to see on the VFR map where my friend was when flying, so we had to enable the large and ugly nameplates despite the world map showing their exact location

The list goes on and on with very basic things that I'm sure were reported during the alpha and beta. This game was simply not ready to release but I have to think Asobo knew this but was under pressure from MS to get it out the door.

Excellent comment, really interesting reading that. Thanks for all these details! Interesting to hear that its got a dev menu. Something Ive only seen in games before (Skyrim etc). That painful way of changing airport makes it sound like they took a leaf out of Dovetails book. AFAIK it was a pain to change airports in FSW too.

I agree that it has some not-so-minor bugs like ATC and the automation that need to be worked on. I really love the thing though. It is the first VFR capable simulator. I jumped into the Bonanza in Goodyear where i had my first flight lessons and I immediately recognized hills, fields, buildings, roads and so on. That added to the best atmosphere simulation to date makes it an incredibly potent platform. It might not be perfect for all aspects of IFR yet, but I don't doubt that this will come in the future. I also love how much PR it has generated, bringing fresh users into a genre that hasn't really evolved in a decade.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Colonel X said:

Yeah it'll change the game to 15FPS.

"The human eye can't see more than 15 fps..."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

37 minutes ago, sanh said:

You need to install the US English voice pack in Windows like it mentioned on the installation screen.

Interesting ... thanks.

Any idea where I can get that now I've finished installing?

Cheers

Mike

4 minutes ago, badger2000 said:

Interesting ... thanks.

Any idea where I can get that now I've finished installing?

Cheers

Mike

Don't worry, think I've found it.

Thanks again.

I knew the good people on this forum would sort me out.

• Like 1

the sim is a million times better than default P3d/FSX/X-Plane, in literally every aspect

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, robert young said:

I have absolutely no understanding of how businesses work, having run one for only 25 years. I'm sure you know better.

OMG. Comparing one's business to Microsoft. Seriously ?

Their aims are very different to a typical business. Having been an Accountant for over 25 years, I see it as the flagship for their newly branded Games Pass.

The ongoing costs of development and bandwidth for streaming 1GB per hour per user, will only just be covered by the commission they earn from the marketplaces.

It may well be a loss leader: unfortunately this implies that their main focus is on the Xbox console platform... which may explain the gaudy, arcadey presentation, together with the (arguably) obvious fact that - at least currently - it is more 'scenery simulator', than flight simulator.

4 minutes ago, cepact said:

the sim is a million times better than default P3d/FSX/X-Plane, in literally every aspect

How's the live weather breh? Is it working? Accurate? 

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

Tile Proxy on steroids.  It's fun for the wow factor.  Time will tell how it develops.  P3D V5 is build on FSX which came out in 2006, which was built on FS 2004 and on and on. P3D doesn't cut it without adding a lot of ORBX, Active Sky, and 3rd party airplanes. to is a pretty large jump for the engine.  Have to see how it develops. 

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

Just now, Drumcode said:

for me it's working pretty fine, at least from where I live

Just now, cepact said:

for me it's working pretty fine, at least from where I live

Prove it.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

1 minute ago, Drumcode said:

Prove it.

I don't have to prove it to you. Test it yourself.

If you don't believe me read other opinions 

2 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Well, if it is working for at least one customer, it's working better than live weather included with P3D. 

Chris

2 minutes ago, Drumcode said:

Prove it.

You seem upset friendo

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub