Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Anybody have any bug spray? My first flight: C152

Sure the sim has issues, but no sim is perfect and they all have their share of issues.

Personally I'm having a blast with MFS and I won't be bothering to fly in any other sims from now on.  I'm a happy camper despite the issues!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RichieFly said:

Today I figured out how to ignore someone on the forums.

With the plague and all I guess temperatures are running a little hot, but good gravy; some people.

Bizarrely everyone I have ever  ignored has a name  starting with m.

• Like 2

I "think" we're all agreed that using rudder on the ground is definitely necessary for piston powered aircraft regardless of a crosswind component, but it's what goes on in flight where the differences of opinion surface.

EDIT - Steve FX I didn't think I was on ignore from you? I'm a staunch supporter of your products! :tongue:

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

I "think" we're all agreed that using rudder on the ground is definitely necessary for piston powered aircraft regardless of a crosswind component, but it's what goes on in flight where the differences of opinion surface.

EDIT - Steve FX I didn't think I was on ignore from you? I'm a staunch supporter of your products! :tongue:

I have nothing against capital H‘s ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Thank you for the real answer. I'm now wondering why on so many takeoffs of real aeroplanes including airliners do we see them weathercock on the initial climb?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CBHHBi1aTw

Extreme footage I know, but it appears that the planes are being allowed to point into the wind so that they keep flying the runway heading i.e weathercocking to some degree.

I do understand about coordinated turns though. Not trying to argue, just debate, cheers.

That's correct, if your goal is to track the centerline (and you're often given the clearance "maintain runway heading", which is tracking centerline), then you have two ways to do it: either slip, which I've never heard anyone advocate doing after takeoff, or just fly coordinated and point the nose into the wind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bonchie said:

Don’t confuse certain airliners that don’t allow slips to with most planes. 

Realistically, though, you wouldn't slip on takeoff, would you? I can't think of scenario in which you'd want to do that or what advantage there may be to doing so.  Never even thought about it, to be honest.

58 minutes ago, DavidP said:

I instruct students in the 152 at a field with a 12 m wide runway, so I don't know much.

If you slam the throttle forward with no right rudder you will very quickly end up on the grass. Big problem when the grass is wet to prevent the embarrassment of getting bogged or worse.

This is further amplified when doing touch and goes with newer students. You are forever telling them to smoothly advance the throttle.

They do two things - slam it to the firewall and don't get the rudder going. So as the instructor I am forever feeding right rudder to keep on the pavement until they get used to it.

PM me if you want to verify my credentials.

Hope this contributes to the debate.

No reason for me to question your credentials. So to clarify, I did what you're talking about at TNCM: smoothly applied throttle in the 152. It basically immediately made at least a 45-degree turn to the left. I felt it was pretty overdone, but if you say that's realistic, I will defer to your knowledge and experience.

5 hours ago, mtr75 said:

Oh, no, no, no, good sir - plenty, and I mean plenty of people were crowing on the P3D boards after v5 was released about MSFS being absolutely flawless on release. Their entire point was that it wouldn't be like the P3Dv5 release was. And guess what? It's exactly like the P3Dv5 release was.

You're conflating again.You're mixing up the comparison claimed with P3Dv5 release and the release of MSFS "being absolutely flawless".  No one stated it would be flawless.You seem to conflate a lot. And it wasn't like the v5 release of P3D because MSFS is a generational sim just released in comparison with P3D with the exception being the 64 bit incarnation which never did anything generational only built virtually wholly on FSX. Even Dovetail for Steam got to 64 bit faster than P3D and were trying new weather and cloud experimentation. Lot more innovative than P3D.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

Thank you for the replies gents!

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Pretty decent release IMO, but just don't fly out of Barrow - AK at a heading of 340 for more than an hour.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

4 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

You're conflating again.You're mixing up the comparison claimed with P3Dv5 release and the release of MSFS "being absolutely flawless".  No one stated it would be flawless.You seem to conflate a lot.

Did you find that word in a fortune cookie or something? You seem to like it.

I'm not "conflating" at all. It was constant during the rollout of P3Dv5. Constant and obnoxious. I told more than one person they'd be eating their words when MSFS came out. And it's because of those very people that so many simmers coming over from P3D are so bent out of shape about the state of MSFS on release.

Just now, SceneryFX said:

Pretty decent release IMO, but just don't fly out of Barrow - AK at a heading of 340 for more than an hour.

I wonder how many people are going to get that one. Bravo, sir.

2 minutes ago, Andreas Stangenes said:

I dont know what you guys were expecting... Release WITH PMDG airplanes? What about this sims foundation is there not to like? Is it not plainly obvious that this is someting to build upon?

I like it, I'm just pointing a few things out. Aspen - CO looks amazing.

I'm still flying at a heading of 340, it's telling me to go East 2,400 nm to get to Norway. I'm not actually sure what happens next, I wasn't in the beta so I'm just curious how round this round earth model really is. For some reason I've lost all my mapping capabilities and some instruments appear to be acting a bit funny.

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Just now, SceneryFX said:

I like it, I'm just pointing a few things out. Aspen - CO looks amazing.

I'm still flying at a heading of 340, it's telling me to go East 2,400 nm to get to Norway. I'm not actually sure what happens next, despite that other guy's post, I wasn't in the beta so I'm just curious how round this round earth model really is...

My post was not aimed at you 🙂 It was a remark related to all the topics littered everywhere in the forum where absolutely every little thing is blown way out of proportion and makes the forum feel very tedious. 

• Like 1

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78