Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Anybody have any bug spray? My first flight: C152

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

They kick the crab out but don’t put the wing down, correct? And I’d love to know the physics of that much weight not moving in a straight line on touchdown! My Achilles heels are crosswind landings, which I guess is the case for a lot of pilots. I understand them, but I still don’t get it right every time. 

They do land (mostly) in line - guess it depends on how good the pilot is 😆. But as I said, the overriding consideration is the engine pylon ground clearance. Just to be clear, I've never flown airliners however I have a friend who does and of course, plenty of reading. Even when they straighten up with rudder, they have to be sure that they counteract any roll tendency due to the secondary effect of yaw - which is roll!

• Upvote 1

David Porrett

11 hours ago, Lenny777 said:

You're conflating again.You're mixing up the comparison claimed with P3Dv5 release and the release of MSFS "being absolutely flawless".  No one stated it would be flawless.You seem to conflate a lot. And it wasn't like the v5 release of P3D because MSFS is a generational sim just released in comparison with P3D with the exception being the 64 bit incarnation which never did anything generational only built virtually wholly on FSX. Even Dovetail for Steam got to 64 bit faster than P3D and were trying new weather and cloud experimentation. Lot more innovative than P3D.

Lenny, this is mostly off-topic, but you seem misinformed about p3d v5. It didn’t involve a 64-bit upgrade. It did involve a change in engine (dx12) and it did involve next-gen weather and clouds (TrueSky).

Both releases were beset by major problems. Based on the reactions, I’d say MSFS is the bigger stuff-up of the two. We’ll see how the world feels about it if/when the download issues are sorted, but right now it’s rated a decidedly mediocre 6/10 on Steam.

• Like 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

14 hours ago, bonchie said:

On landings, larger airliners can't slip (i.e. wing into the wind, opposite rudder) in a crosswind to line up with the runway so they come in crabbed with a heavy side load. You aren't supposed to do that in most planes, mostly because they can't handle it. Good way to pull a tire off the rim or break something else.

Yeah, that's why the bigger jets can actually rotate their gear left and right - to make up for the crab angle. The B-52s are particularly entertaining in that regard:

RZSoFLt8kPcnxqfKpAx7jhjCcgGXyn5PjKnx9ESG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

Lenny, this is mostly off-topic, but you seem misinformed about p3d v5. It didn’t involve a 64-bit upgrade. It did involve a change in engine (dx12) and it did involve next-gen weather and clouds (TrueSky).

Both releases were beset by major problems. Based on the reactions, I’d say MSFS is the bigger stuff-up of the two. We’ll see how the world feels about it if/when the download issues are sorted, but right now it’s rated a decidedly mediocre 6/10 on Steam.

P3Dv5 also introduced far less that was new than MSFS. It's not even in the same ballpark when talking about generational leaps. There was a lot more to "stuff up" in a completely new simulator. Also, P3D did not introduce a new next-gen weather engine, just TrueSky.

Of course, P3D isn't on Steam. I'd love to have seen the reviews for P3Dv1 back in the day had it been.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OzWhitey said:

You're misinformed. LH themselves stated the following:"

Prepar3D v4 is now available for purchase and digital download directly at the Prepar3D Store!

The Prepar3D v4 release brings many exciting changes and enhancements to the platform. This new release completely changes the simulation landscape with a comprehensive baseline update to a 64-bit architecture. Higher resolution visuals, more objects, increased data precision, larger scenarios, and improved performance are now all possible at levels never seen before in the product’s history. The sky’s not the limit!"

https://www.prepar3d.com/news/2017/05/114192/

I use the same nomenclature as they do. In addition, I was a regular user of all versions of P3D up to and including v4. When MSFS was announced, rather a few months after in the New Year I completely removed it from my system including XP 11. I do not regret it AT ALL. You are misinformed and spreading nonsense about the new generational change in the FS series. Yes that's right - generational. The incorporation of  the large Bing maps data has been absolutely breathtaking. I completed an ILS flight last night with the Citation Longitude from PANC to KSEA. Beautiful touchdown. The plane itself is not perfect of course but the fact you have numerous beautifully crafted planes, with the beautifully crafted airports and the Bing incorporation leaves P3D and Xplane in some serious dust behind. To me it signals the end of those franchises and now it's time to look forward to the development and perfecting of this new generation sim - MSFS. Stop being gullible to the propaganda. There are numerous sites including gaming sites which are giving rave reviews to MSFS - warts and all and to the extent those mean anything  and they do to MS I wholly endorse many of their observations.

I see also you misread my post as someone else did below. My point about their  upgrading to 64 bit architecture was that it was after Dovetails move to that not that it was concurrently with v5. The discussion of v5 was only in the context of the OP indicating that the v5 release was denigrated in the context of lauding the upcoming perfection of the MSFS release. This was a flawed assertion.

Edited by Lenny777
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

15 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

Prepar3D v4 is now available for purchase and digital download directly at the Prepar3D Store!

The Prepar3D v4 release brings many exciting changes and enhancements to the platform. This new release completely changes the simulation landscape with a comprehensive baseline update to a 64-bit architecture. Higher resolution visuals, more objects, increased data precision, larger scenarios, and improved performance are now all possible at levels never seen before in the product’s history. The sky’s not the limit!"

I use the same nomenclature as they do. In addition, I was a regular user of all versions of P3D up to and including v4. When MSFS was announced, rather a few months after in the New Year I completely removed it from my system including XP 11. I do not regret it AT ALL. You are misinformed and spreading nonsense about the new generational change in the FS series. Yes that's right - generational. The incorporation of  the large Bing maps data has been absolutely breathtaking. I completed an ILS flight last night with the Citation Longitude from PANC to KSEA. Beautiful touchdown. The plane itself is not perfect of course but the fact you have numerous beautifully crafted planes, with the beautifully crafted airports and the Bing incorporation leaves P3D and Xplane in some serious dust behind. To me it signals the end of those franchises and now it's time to look forward to the development and perfecting of this new generation sim - MSFS. Stop being gullible to the propaganda. There are numerous sights including gaming sights which are giving rave reviews to MSFS - warts and all and to the extent those mean anything  and they do to MS I wholly endorse many of their observations.

Yes, but that's v4 🙂

v4 introduced 64bit. v5 introduced DX12.

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 8700k clocked to 4.6GHz, GTX1080Ti, 32GB DDR4 RAM, MSFS installed on NVMe drive, Windows 11, Dell 27" 60Hz Monitor + Dell 24" 60Hz Monitor. Resolution 1920x1080. Game Mode on, GPU scheduling enabled (Win11). MSFS settings: High-End for airlines, Ultra for GA.

I will have an update thread on this whole topic in about an hour. Let's just say, I've just executed a course reversal...

26 minutes ago, aktorsyl said:

Yes, but that's v4 🙂

v4 introduced 64bit. v5 introduced DX12.

He misread my original post. I said nothing about v5 upgrading to 64 bit architecture. My reference was that when they did it was after Dovetail.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

33 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

He misread my original post. I said nothing about v5 upgrading to 64 bit architecture. My reference was that when they did it was after Dovetail.

No, i didn’t misread anything. Aktorsyl and I are just responding to the words you typed, which seem to convey a meaning different to what you had in mind.

1 hour ago, Lenny777 said:

I use the same nomenclature as they do. In addition, I was a regular user of all versions of P3D up to and including v4. When MSFS was announced, rather a few months after in the New Year I completely removed it from my system including XP 11. I do not regret it AT ALL. You are misinformed and spreading nonsense about the new generational change in the FS series. Yes that's right - generational. The incorporation of  the large Bing maps data has been absolutely breathtaking. I completed an ILS flight last night with the Citation Longitude from PANC to KSEA. Beautiful touchdown. The plane itself is not perfect of course but the fact you have numerous beautifully crafted planes, with the beautifully crafted airports and the Bing incorporation leaves P3D and Xplane in some serious dust behind. To me it signals the end of those franchises and now it's time to look forward to the development and perfecting of this new generation sim - MSFS. Stop being gullible to the propaganda. There are numerous sites including gaming sites which are giving rave reviews to MSFS - warts and all and to the extent those mean anything  and they do to MS I wholly endorse many of their observations.

I see also you misread my post as someone else did below. My point about their  upgrading to 64 bit architecture was that it was after Dovetails move to that not that it was concurrently with v5. The discussion of v5 was only in the context of the OP indicating that the v5 release was denigrated in the context of lauding the upcoming perfection of the MSFS release. This was a flawed assertion.

Wait, what did I just read?? 😳

Cool story, bro - but maybe next time you’re thinking of making a post like this on Avsim, you should just blog it instead.

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."