Sign in to follow this  
FrankR409

To vsync or not to vsync..

17 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Steve i have a 120hz screen is it best to only use NCP and set MSFS to 29 FPS.? Nothing else to do?

May i ask why the 1 fps below 30 on 120/4?

I use 50hz/2 NCP 25FPS. Is 24 better?

Got a CTD again out of the blue taxi in LFMN tonight

Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I don't use vsync.  Most surprised that I can do this, for I find screen tearing (which is what vsync prevents from happening) is most irritating but it's not happening.  My hopelessly over-taxed GTX 1070 is pegged at 100% in MSFS 2020, struggling along at about 40 fps.  Smoothness does not exist, micro-stutters do.  Tried everything, even fooled around with sneaky Nvidia Profile Inspector frame rate and vsync settings: in the end no vsync, nor anything else, gave the best (but far from best) results for my rig.  My 10700k isn't even breaking a sweat, no core ever goes much past 80% if that, usually in the 30% to 40% range.

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

i have ncp at default

60fps in game

msi afterburner showing 30 fps

vsync on

if i turn vsync off my gpu 1080ti goes to 100% from about 80-85%

jeff storey

36 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I don't use vsync.  Most surprised that I can do this, for I find screen tearing (which is what vsync prevents from happening) is most irritating but it's not happening.  My hopelessly over-taxed GTX 1070 is pegged at 100% in MSFS 2020, struggling along at about 40 fps.  Smoothness does not exist, micro-stutters do.  Tried everything, even fooled around with sneaky Nvidia Profile Inspector frame rate and vsync settings: in the end no vsync, nor anything else, gave the best (but far from best) results for my rig.  My 10700k isn't even breaking a sweat, no core ever goes much past 80% if that, usually in the 30% to 40% range.

Reduce some gpu intensive settings then? 

2 hours ago, Gabe777 said:

It does.

But on my rig I found that I still had a few microstutters at certain angles.... In the search for perfection I found the RTSS solution to remove around 90 percent of the remaining stutters.

But I still get 5 second freezes every time I change weather ... Or just randomly... guess that's live streaming for you .....!

So maybe we shouldn't sweat the small stuff 🥴😁😁

And YMMV.

Just someone bring out a decent aircraft already 🤪🤪🤪💔

Gabe, 5 second freezes?! Hmm, I haven't seen these yet. Perhaps they are your RTSS solution related? Lol, just messing, your YMMV indeed.

Anyway, yes, there are always some occasionall stutters and even hiccups here and there, similar to P3Dv5 and X-Plane 11.50+ in the areas where I fly.  I'm used to them, as well as to those in BMS, DCS but deffinitely they are far cry from your showstopping 5sec freezes.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

The freezes tend to be after I change weather or time of day.

But it is still better than having to reload the SIM as with P3D.

And no it's been like that since day one. Nothing to do with vert sync settings.

I play a lot with weather.... I think I'm a frustrated Weatherman.🥴

17 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I think (!) there is no screen tearing because it is not "exclusive fullscreen."

It is 'borderless window' like P3D. So above or below your screen refresh rate, there will just be stuttering ... unless you're on G sync, and between your lower and upper range....

The thing to remember when setting up is to turn off any limiting so that the achievable fps can be noted. Use the in sim fps display or some preferred tool to display fps achievable. When settings have been chosen and good fps maintainable, after that move on to setting up the limiter.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 8/30/2020 at 12:01 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Installing the latest nvidia driver, 452.06, fixed my lack of smoothness.  I've been able to tune the settings up a bit from "High-End" to get really nice eyecandy, render scaling 120, terrain lod 125, objects lod 165, while maintaining 30+ fps with no vsync.  Enabling vsync causes stuttering with lower fps for me.

I also agree that it seems MSFS 2020 is NOT running with exclusive fullscreen, for more that once I've had to click in the "full screen" window to get the input focus for the sim.  This can't be happening if is were running exclusive fullscreen.  I guess sort of related to this is that when I start up, I shrink the MSFS window down considerably so I can access other things on my screen easily.  Upon entering sim execution, an alt-enter kicks MSFS back to full screen, just like it does for fsx-se.  But when kicking it back to windowed mode via another alt-enter, the sim has forgotten its prior pre-fullscreen size and I have to again resize its window for accessing items on my desktop...most annoying since that's a feature I've used for years managing my fsx-se execution environment, such as like having a look at plan-g.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)