Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Can you assign a control set to an airplane?

Thank you, all! 

I was just not sure if it was me or the product that was lacking… Isn‘t it sad that a flight simulator that professes to serve the serious pilot, with superb scenery, study-level aircraft (OEM!), and precise functioning of  virtual instruments, should not support the different profiles for different aircraft! To me, that proves that MS in reality is addressing more the Xbox user than the user with realistic hardware.

Sad but true.

Volker

10 minutes ago, vtracy said:

I was just not sure if it was me or the product that was lacking… Isn‘t it sad that a flight simulator that professes to serve the serious pilot, with superb scenery, study-level aircraft (OEM!), and precise functioning of  virtual instruments, should not support the different profiles for different aircraft! To me, that proves that MS in reality is addressing more the Xbox user than the user with realistic hardware.

It is a shame but I don't see it as proof of anything.
I noticed that you use AAO, and that terrific piece of software DOES allow assigning profiles to aircraft, and switches automatically once a profile is assigned.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Thank you, all! 

Sad but true.

Volker

Oh please, relax. It does support different profiles, you just have to manually select them.

It's a regrettable lack of a feature, not the death knell of serious flightsimming, jeez.

Edited by psychedelic_tortilla

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

Well, then tell me: HOW do you manually switch profiles? I am referring to either the method used by X-Plane or Prepar3D. The latter requires me to switch manually but it is possible at every stage of a fligh setup, I just open „Options, Controls“ and then I can load a saved profile. Example: Switching between my Me 109 and the A2A Bonanza. For both, I need different assignments of yoke or stick, as well as axes and switches. Granted, the P3D way is not elegant by far (like the X-Plane way) but it is possible fairly quickly.

In MSFS, I cannot find that.

BTW, to all the other answers to my sarcastic remarks: I do not think that deficiencies like these are the death knell of FS2020 it is just very annoying to realize (by this and other aspects) that MS favours the players over the simmers. And, don‘t forget: there is another FS from MS coming (FS2024)! Why that? Food for thought…

Volker

1 hour ago, vtracy said:

Well, then tell me: HOW do you manually switch profiles? I am referring to either the method used by X-Plane or Prepar3D. The latter requires me to switch manually but it is possible at every stage of a fligh setup, I just open „Options, Controls“ and then I can load a saved profile. Example: Switching between my Me 109 and the A2A Bonanza. For both, I need different assignments of yoke or stick, as well as axes and switches. Granted, the P3D way is not elegant by far (like the X-Plane way) but it is possible fairly quickly.

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but in MSFS you can develop a specific plane, or type of plane, controller profile and then using the Profile Manager name the profile. Then as shown below you can select the profile you want based on the aircraft you will be flying by using the arrows at each end of the profile name to cycle through the available profiles. Unfortunately you may have to do this for multiple controllers.

Al

spacer.png

Edited by ark

Use AAO for your control assignments and forget about the clunky default control options (just deactivate everything default).

3 hours ago, vtracy said:

Thank you, all! 

Sad but true.

Volker

Um.  It does support different profiles for different aircraft.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 minutes ago, Mace said:

Um.  It does support different profiles for different aircraft.

Yes and No. It does but doesn't auto switch like XP, AAO or Spad next.

Yep, I use AAO and every profile for every aircraft (can even be distinguished by livery if you wish) is automatically loaded when the aircraft is loaded.

MY MSFS "Control assignments" consist of literally nothing other than view/camera keys and a few other auxilliary keyboard functions.

I would say however, that AAO's sensitivity settings are not as comprehensive as those in MSFS. I've always found that one aspect a bit disappointing, considering how amazing everything else is in AAO.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

4 hours ago, vtracy said:

You won't find it in MSFS in its current form without an add-on.

Like I said, SonicViz is an add-on and it allows automatic changing when you load the aircraft.   Once you set up aircraft x, you never have to mess with manually changing controls ever again.   And of course Spad.Next and AAO etc. etc. allow this too.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I have the registered FSUIPC7 but I have never been brave enough to mess with it for controllers above and beyond using the MSFS controller profiles I have made for each plane I use.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

There is a wish list thing with 800 or so votes dating back to 2021 - but it cannot hurt to add your vote as well ...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/aircraft-specific-control-profiles/153199

Meanwhile this looks interesting (though you need the paid version):

https://sonicviz.com/project/aircraft-manager/

Hs7PZud.png

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

I'm wonderin' if it can be done with a widget for //42's Flow tool.... betchya.

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Thank you to all who answered my question/helped me with my problem.

It looks as if I will have to use either AAO or the Aircraft Manager by SonicViz. That is a klunky ‚solution‘ and I have indeed posted a message in the appropriate forum (I maybe will have to add my wish to the wishlist).

Now, I know that there will always be features in a software package that are still missing. However, I am also aware that there is such a thing as a priority list (or a list of „must-haves“ vs. may-have), and if the product owner (MS) do want to sell their product as a simulation as opposed to a computer game, then the list must be different, in this case for example, include a facility to switch control hardware AND between several profiles. It must be possible to assign a control profile to an aircraft at the time of starting a flight (manually like in P3D or ideally automatically, like in X-Plane). If that is not possible that is a deficiency. Only those who always fly the same aircraft, or do not care when they fly a plane with a virtual stick but they use a yoke, or those who just use an Xbox controller as their only hardware, wil not mind that switching profiles (at the time of starting a flight) is not possible. That is the reason behind my somewhat sarcastic remark earlier.

Again, thank you to all who made helpful suggestions. 

Volker

16 hours ago, JYW said:

Yep, I use AAO and every profile for every aircraft (can even be distinguished by livery if you wish) is automatically loaded when the aircraft is loaded.

Now that is interesting. I’ve been using a combo of FSUIPC and the in sim settings. Honestly I’m afraid to mess with another program in case I mess it up haha, but I may have to look into it. 

AMD 7950X3D | 64 GB RAM | RTX 4090

B737 Pilot