Sign in to follow this  
sightseer

Have you heard the birds and the crickets yet?

I went to check out the night lighting at Miami last night and I started from this small airfield outside city limits and when I went to the outside view, there were wonderful sounds of crickets.

a few days ago, I was flying north towards KSWF and in external view (why are there two external views??) and I positioned myself just above the tree line and you can hear birds chirping.  I'll bet some of these little nicities are the cause of some peoples stutters but it sure is nice to have.  Used to be only at Orbx you'd get these things.

havent seen a butterfly yet though...or a dog...critters pack $14.99... 🙂 

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

At sunset Try landing by a river with cub and the lighting and sounds really makes for a good experience. 

I cant waste time listening to someone that’s probably going to open a new thread complaining about the sounds of the crickets being out of tune ..... 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Image removed as image is no longer available.

20 minutes ago, rtodepart said:

I cant waste time listening to someone that’s probably going to open a new thread complaining about the sounds of the crickets being out of tune ..... 

I don't know about being out of tune, but do they chirp at the correct rate according to temperature?  

The frequency of chirping varies according to temperature. To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees fahrenheit, count the number of chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37. The number you get will be an approximation of the outside temperature.

😄😄😄 

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

2 minutes ago, LHookins said:

I don't know about being out of tune, but do they chirp at the correct rate according to temperature?  

Only if its a Snowy Tree Cricket. 😉

(if you're a Big Bang Theory fan, you get that reference...and it was one of the funniest episodes IMO) 

Especially when Sheldon quipped after Raj said bugs freak him out....."Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic."🤣

• Like 3

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

2 hours ago, dobee51 said:

Crickets get very annoying after a while...

You know what sound is even more annoying in MSFS?. If you use headphone mode, the static noise loop seems like something out of a CIA torture session. I swear that I've heard a kitten meowing and my old HS girlfriend's whining mixed in there.

• Like 1

I love this thread. YEah, it really is amazing after you landed on, say a small field in a mountain, turn of the engine, drone cam around and hear nature :). I love it!

Victor Roos

Birds and crickets???? what next?

As everybody should know, you will not/cannot hear the crickets .... the birds have eaten them.  I don't know specifically what predators are specifically targeting the birds, but I believe the end of the food chain stops with the Giraffes LOL

Tony  

• Like 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

12 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Birds and crickets???? what next?

As everybody should know, you will not/cannot hear the crickets .... the birds have eaten them.  I don't know specifically what predators are specifically targeting the birds, but I believe the end of the food chain stops with the Giraffes LOL

Tony  

or the bears migrate and eat them in the end.. 

• Like 1

Victor Roos

9 minutes ago, Victoroos said:

or the bears migrate and eat them in the end.. 

Migration? I hope their passports are in order.  Here in Australia, at the moment, there are really strict border controls. (the giraffes are grateful LOL)

Tony 

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I’m not 100% certain on this, but the bird song seemed slightly different when I landed in a field in Australia to that of the U.K..

The base singing was the same but there seemed to be something else in there in the Australian version. I did go back to double check but still not certain.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

All I want to know is if you can hear the meowing if you tune the radio to 121.5?

• Like 1

Chris

2 hours ago, jon b said:

I’m not 100% certain on this, but the bird song seemed slightly different when I landed in a field in Australia to that of the U.K.

Possibly, but the audio for crickets in the UK is inaccurate if anyone is being really picky. I landed at a UK airfield in the dark, shut down and could hear them along with the wind in the trees, which admittedly sounded kind of cool, but it isn't realistic, you don't hear crickets at night in the UK because unlike in most countries, the cricket species in the UK are not nocturnal, so if you hear them in Blighty, it's in the daytime.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here