Sign in to follow this  
paulwilko10

i5 4690K to a i7 4790K - Any Point?

Just now, carbonbasedlifeform said:

I am facing a similar situation and have decided to replace everything. MSFS is CPU-heavy. It uses the CPU for auto-gen. 

If you are replacing everything then go for it! You will see a big difference when you add faster CPU/ram/GPU/SSD all together. The additional cores help a lot too. (This is what I noticed with P3d, as I do not have fs2020 yet)

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I'm on a 4790K o/c'd nicely to about 4.5, 16 gig DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080Ti

and I'm well happy with what I got in the sim mostly High settings, the odd medium but man - is it smooth.

I'd say definitely do it. It's an old CPU but it seems to have the right horsepower for this sim.

8 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Well, we're not talking about P3D here. 

My bad, you are correct. But the last thing I want to do is start yet another hyper threading topic on Avsim. LOL.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I wonder how many of these reports of horrible MSFS performance on heavily overclocked systems with massive graphics cards is simply the result of people having their system totally dialed in for P3D and in the process completely crippling it for modern multicore applications.

facepalm.gif

Go for a used GTX 1080 Ti instead, there are plenty of them for sale cheap right now after Nvidia present their 3000 series.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

41 minutes ago, paulwilko10 said:

Currently i am running FS 25 fps on nearly medium.

That is only with GA aircraft, anything more and i am pushing my luck lol.

My set up is:

i5 4690K

GTX 1650 Super

16GB Ram

Asus Z97-K Motherboard

I do get issues with the cpu being 100% on anything more than 25fps and even these settings cause some stuttering.

If i went any less on the graphics i may aswell play fsx

So, my motherboard can only go as high as the i7 4790K.

I know the obvious money is not an issue idea would be to scrap it all and start again, but that is not possible.

So my question is, will the i7 4790K give me enough of an upgrade to warrant the appx £130.

No point in saying if only you spent a bit more, as taht really is not possible because i would need a new board, cpu, memory and probably PSU.

Thoughts please

Cheers

Paul

So, 

honestly, no it wont make a huge difference in the game. you might get a few FPS here and there but for the money, you are better off going with a core i7 9900K. it uses the 1151 socket so you would have to update your MOBO as well. But right now, you can find good deals on the i9 9900K /ASUS MOBO combo at Microcenter online store

7 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

I'm on a 4790K o/c'd nicely to about 4.5, 16 gig DDR3 RAM, GTX 1080Ti

and I'm well happy with what I got in the sim mostly High settings, the odd medium but man - is it smooth.

I'd say definitely do it. It's an old CPU but it seems to have the right horsepower for this sim.

My 4790k at 4.5 with an RTX2080 gives me good 50 fps with 1440p and high-end defaults, and I am happy with it until the Zen 3 arrives in a month or two. It would surprise me a lot if the CPU is the bottleneck as the 1650 is a rather low end GPU? But sure, MSFS seems to like hyperthreading for those additional 4 virtual cores that the i7 gives compared to the i5. But I would never do that upgrade anyway.

Edited by mazex

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

No point....Upgrade to a brand new CPU and new GPU (save your money)

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A GPU upgrade might improve max FPS but most likely does not help in the stutter department.

I only have a GTX 1060 and upgraded my i5-4430 to a i7-4770 for about 80 €. That really helped A LOT.Especially after starting a flight and in steep turns I have much less stutters. They are not completey gone but absouitely bearble. 🙂

Edited by crimplene

Here is a website that seems to offer valid comparisons of various types of hardware - this link is specific to your question

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4690K/2384vs2432

It predicts a 4% gain in FPS with the upgrade from an i5 to an i7

As a side note ( or really the main thing I have to say)  I am running the same GTX 1650 with an i3-9100F which Userbench mark ranks as identical (1% > FPS for mine) to your i5.

I see a steady 35 - 40 FPS at 2,000' AGL over rural terrain in the Textron C 152 with almost all the settings on Ultra and the sliders at 120.  1920 x 1080 with two monitors.

Flying over downtown Seattle I see 25 - 30 FPS at the same altitude.  When I change to a DA40 with a glass cockpit ALL my frame rates drop by 5 to 10 FPS.  Flying into/out of Seattle International (KSEA) or San Diego International (KSAN) I get 28 - 32 FPS in the Textron and 20 - 24 FPS in the DA40.

My upgrade plan is go with a GTX 3070 ($499 ??) and an i7-9700K ($320) and another 16 GB DDR4 memory.  I will do the i7 and memory first and then hope the 3070 stays "reasonably" priced

i7-9700K @4.9 GHz  / Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Mobo / 32 GB DDR4 / RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU / AORUS FO48U 4k display
 SSD for Drive C and another SSD dedicate to Flight Sim / 1 GB Comcast Xfinity Internet connection / HP Reverb G2 / Tobii 5 Head & Eye Tracking

read about me and my sailing adventures at www.svmirador.net/WebsiteOne/ or at Flickr TacomaSailor

Thanks everyone

I am still undecided as various answers good and bad.

As said, FPS is not my main goal, would be nice but a smooth 30 with no CPU bottleneck would be nice.

When running at 25FPS, My CPU seems to hover over 85 to 100% in the non glass aircraft in rural.

My GPU is not getting touched, that hovers around 30-50% which is why the cpu seems to be the issue.

I would be more than happy with a nice smooth 25-30 FPS with next to no stutters and if spending £110 on a i7 would fix that , then its a no brainer.

How much does my Standard hdd have to play in stutters? Could it be the cpu and the writing to the hdd?

I really dont have hundreds to spend on a MOBO and Memory and CPU

Thanks

Paul

I think for that money, no.

You'd be better off saving that money toward a new sys.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I am in a similar situation, my CPU is 4690K (OC to 4.2Ghz) but I have a better GPU as 1080 Ti. I am running mostly Mid settings in 1080p but some options turned to High. I could get good FPS mostly and playable, there are stuttering here and there but I will just have to live with that for now with my limited CPU, and I believe the game need more time to be optimized.

I don't think upgrading the CPU to 4790K will make a huge difference, since you have not mentioned overclocking it may be that one last option to squeeze some last bit of juice from it without spending anything.

Also one more tip I found on Reddit is to go to Windows settings to change processor scheduling from "Programs" to "Background Services", it may help.

I'm in almost exactly the same position so nice thread👍 I want to upgrade for MSFS and been thinking 4790-k. Currently very busy work wise and I can't spare the time to "Run In" a new PC. Not particularly PC savvy either and can no longer be bothered with all the bolt on accessories that go with the older flightsims. Been flightsimming for 35yrs though.

Z87-k mobo
GTX 1650 card
16GB ram
....but....
i5 4430 cpu @ 3 ghz

it currently runs P3D very nicely indeed flying GA. Not particularly interested in the big aircraft.

....Might I ask where your intending to get the new processor from?  PM me the answer if you don't want to post on here.

.....thanks again.

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52