Sign in to follow this  
sd_flyer

When you say MSFS is not realistic..

Watch this!

Disclaimer: student pilot survived crash with minor injuries

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Wow. Got to say. His decision to apply full power instead of just stoping could have saved him from that accident and just have him end up in the grass. 

I am wondering. What is the implication that this is proof the sim is realistic? 

Edited by Alcides Segovia
  • Like 1

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

28 minutes ago, Alcides Segovia said:

I am wondering. What is the implication that this is proof the sim is realistic? 

There is no such thing as PROOF that any sim is realistic.  One is sitting in front of a computer playing with knobs and switches and devices and there are no physical or property consequences of anything one does.

It's just another experience.

38 minutes ago, Alcides Segovia said:

am wondering. What is the implication that this is proof the sim is realistic? 

I think it was meant as a joke, making fun of the new ground handling we now have 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alcides Segovia said:

Wow. Got to say. His decision to apply full power instead of just stoping could have saved him from that accident and just have him end up in the grass. 

You can also repeat it and walk away! 🙂

Short about video. This obviously a solo student who lost directional control after touch down and decided to initiate go around like we usually teach. However, his go around was in state of shock. He should have cut power and stop on the grass. Instead, he attempted to take off way off the runway and then steered airplane like car! 

I personally don't let my students touch yoke during taxi unless there are windy condition. Left hand on the leg, right hand on the throttle - that is  to change habit of driving to rudder steering 🙂

• Upvote 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

hehe ok this never happend to me in MSFS, but landings more of this kind 😅:

Certainly a good training video! I can understand the urge to steer as you would a car but even this non-pilot can understand that it's a totally different scenario. But in the heat of the moment, you can understand why a green pilot might go for instinct over correct procedure.

I think, if that had been YTZ, I would have just aimed for Lake Ontario and opened the door, ready to jump out if I didn't stop in time!😁

• Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Second pilot should have never touched the ground.  The approach was borked. .  First pilot scenario alot tougher for a student pilot

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

[XP11 BETA/FS2020 BETA] [Pilotedge BETA/Vatsim BETA] 

I'm trying to understand what exactly happened there. It's like he noticed he was going too far to the left, so overcompensated by hitting the right rudder pedal more forcefully than he should have? At which point he basically just panics and adds power.

Edited by RioPilot

Ouch! I'm trying to figure out what was going on in that first video. It certainly looks like his eyes were inside the cockpit when initial loss of control started. I'm guessing going full throttle was a panic response and maybe he really wanted to go to idle instead? Glad he was ok! I really feel sorry for him.

The second video looks a lot like some of the twitch streamers I've seen 🙂 +20 kts is a lot of energy to carry over the threshold...especially when your feet are flat on the floor.

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the first couple of seconds of the first video showing that this was on a landing rollout and he just lost control.

Edited by snglecoil

Chris

Wasn't it you that I was talking about slipping behavior before release?

So, you are generally content with the flight model? It has some flaws, but generally I think it has great potential.

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

The first video appears to be a student attempting a go around on a botched landing. This is standard procedure, however as soon as he swung towards the grass things became very non-standard and clearly he was not trained to deal with that. Once he was in the grass and in full panic, he did as most do and reverted to instinct. He was still trying to take off (yoke full back) and doing anything he could to avoid hitting stuff (steering with the yoke). Once you are in panic mode, you go back to the first things you were taught that stuck and unfortunately that was attempting to save a bad landing by taking off at all costs and steering as if driving.

The second video appears to be a pilot with too much energy and "get on the ground-itus". He should have done what the first pilot tried and initiated a go around as soon as it was clear he wasn't going to touch down where/how he wanted.

It's very easy to arm chair pilot both these situations, but clearly we have two overwhelmed, inexperienced pilots doing the best they could in a panic. It makes it very clear why pilots must be trained so thoroughly and why their training must include all sorts of non-standard situations. My favorite that I pulled on a student - in a glider - was to take control just before they entered downwind, burn off some altitude, and put them in perfect position for a base leg on the opposite end of the runway they intended to land on i.e right in front of them. As a low time student pilot, this change from 'normal' can be extremely disorienting and results in a "deer in the headlights" situation that others looking from outside can see the obvious answer.

All of this just highlights the need for good training (and what happens when they don't get it).

Edited by __v__

Wow, that first video. That is some epic over compensating.  Drifting left.. FULL RUDDER RIGHT! ..... Why am I drifting like I'm in a Fast and The Furious movie? Whatever! FULL POWER!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

43 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

But in the heat of the moment, you can understand why a green pilot might go for instinct over correct procedure.

The point where he decided to not cut the power was where he lost control of the situation.

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

That video with the solo pilot going into the hangar was not the student pilot's fault at all really; he clearly was not ready for doing solo flight, as evidenced by the fact that he panics and applies right aileron in the hopes it will turn his aeroplane. I'm afraid that accident is entirely down to the instructor who signed him off for a solo; whoever that instructor was needs his rating taking off him and firing from the flying school for sending that guy up; it's not like its 1916 and they're short of pilots for the front or something.

Second video was an obvious go-around situation long before he ever got near the threshold. Again, much of the blame lies at the feet of the instructor who probably did not instill into the student well enough that if it doesn't look good, don't push it, push the throttle instead and go around. The only time you don't go around in a situation like that, is if you are in a glider, where you've not got any choice in the matter.

In both cases I'd be investigating the instructors who signed them off for solo more than the pilots involved in the incidents. Fortunately all it resulted in was bent metal, but it could easily have been very much worse.

For contrast in regards to someone being ready, check this video out where a young girl of just 17 who has been well trained manages this emergency landing in spite of being very scared. She does an amazing job and was clearly well trained to pull this off in spite of obviously being absolutely terrified as you can hear on the ATC. Really excellent job by the controller too:

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here