Sign in to follow this  
Jikul

OnAir: manage your own MSFS airline company

Thanks for brining this to my attention, I'm really interested, will give it a try. (and yes, as another poster said, I do wish this kind of feature was natively part of MSFS2020)

2 hours ago, bahnzo said:

I really enjoy FSE, but the unwillingness to even consider updating their database is a strange one. I'm ready to try something new. 

Strangely enough, that doesn't bother me one bit. You can find an equivalent airport for almost everything, and if you don't, you just land somewhere. 

Peter

SSSHHH... Our little secret. AirHauler 2 works with MSFS 2020. Select your previous AirHauler 2 compatible flightsim when you create a company and play in network mode. 

Edited by Taver

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

I thought the same as some of you.  I checked this out while it was in beta or early launch and wasn't all that impressed.  I have used many of the similar freeware programs myself.  When MSFS came out, I saw an add for it and thought what the heck.. for a 3 month subscription, it comes to $5 a month.  Worth it to give another go.  I'm normally a tube-liner, but since I have to wait for PMDG to finish their 737, I gave this a try to see if it would keep my interest in GA flying.   I must say, I have spent way too many hours with this program - in a good way.  It gains many things FSE is missing in my opinion.  It is much more polished, easier to navigate, find jobs, keep your weight/balance in check, etc.  I'm not sure it does "more" than FSE, just much easier to use.   and.... I've been playing a good bit for the past week and already have 2 C208s and about 7 FBOs.  Of course you can set it to be more difficult.  I chose the easy route since the grind in FSE was one of the frustrating portions for me.  I may start again fresh with more difficulty in the future.  As someone mentioned, everyone has their likes/dislikes, but you can't pass up the 14 day free trial to see if it is something worth $5 to you.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Kaan KASIM said:

A bit misleading don't you think?

Yup, my mistake, that's for 24 months.

However, it's not so much the price tag, rather than the fact that it is a rolling subscription fee and not an outright purchase. Compare it with AH, which is a 32 quid one off payment.

If you played the new MS sim for its projected ten-year lifespan, versus something like Air Hauler with a one off price tag, that'd be 32 quid versus over 250 quid, and it's an even worse comparison with freebie alternatives. If people want to pay that, they can feel free, but personally I think it's too steep for a random mission generator with a few AI features and such, which is essentially what such utilities are.

For comparison of something which genuinely was worth the money, consider that way back before P3D even existed, Aerosoft made their add-on: African Airstrip Adventures for FSX. This featured some 40,000 square kilometers of custom scenery for Kenya including Mount Kenya with a high resolution terrain mesh, on it were 20 bush airstrips, custom AI including thousands of animals, many of which were animated, plus scenery for safari lodges and such, and there were custom zebra livery paint jobs for some of the default FSX aeroplanes. It featured a mission generator which worked in the sim, with radio voice transmissions for you and your company's personal despatcher, plus co-pilot and other staff voices. It also included a logbook, a progression system, aircraft maintenance, fueling and a map (either PDF or printed if you got the boxed version). And it would work for as long as you liked, generating custom mssions with no limit.

And all of that was over ten years ago. Now that was a great flight sim job add-on, and if you use FSX, it still is.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

2 hours ago, Taver said:

SSSHHH... Our little secret. AirHauler 2 works with MSFS 2020. Select your previous AirHauler 2 compatible flightsim when you create a company and play in network mode. 

It does?! word not allowed I own it I’ll install it and try it. 

edit: but do you need to have p3d(other) installed? I wonder if I can spoof it. 

Edited by UAL4life

2 hours ago, JerryT87 said:

Is there a way to create more than one company in OnAir? I haven't found a way yet.

No and there's a reason for that, but you can have one company in each of the servers.

2 hours ago, Chock said:

Compare it with AH, which is a 32 quid one off payment. versus something like Air Hauler with a one off price tag, that'd be 32 quid versus over 250 quid

EVE online is 15/month, WoW 12/month, Final Fantasy 15/month, Xbox, EA Play, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, even MSFS has a monthly sub if you want. You don't seem to also understand what a persistent online world is, it's a virtual world that continues to exist and develop internally with other members of the community interacting with it and that comes with a price and it has to in order to pay for server and bandwidth and support and developmental costs. FSE to a point is persistent and AH is a static AI only and with it, you will never experience the interaction with the online world, I can go into AH and give myself $200 Billion, you can't do that in the OnAir survival online world.

FSE has basically stopped development, the UI is way outdated and you can't even create a new account as of this writing because it's all volunteers that have other things to do, the only thing keeping it going is the community, AH is nice but lifeless. It's fine if you're ok with those but you simply cannot compared FSE and AH to OnAir they are two different things.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

1 hour ago, FPStewy said:

EVE online is 15/month, WoW 12/month, Final Fantasy 15/month, Xbox, EA Play, Playstation, Nintendo Switch, even MSFS has a monthly sub if you want. You don't seem to also understand what a persistent online world is, it's a virtual world that continues to exist and develop internally with other members of the community interacting with it and that comes with a price and it has to in order to pay for server and bandwidth and support and developmental costs. FSE to a point is persistent and AH is a static AI only and with it, you will never experience the interaction with the online world, I can go into AH and give myself $200 Billion, you can't do that in the OnAir survival online world.

You think I don't understand what an MMO persistent world is? Really? I've worked for Electronic Arts, Ocean Software and Core Interactive in the past as a freelancer doing graphics for games, so I'm pretty sure I know what an MMO is. 🤣

This aside, I've had three EVE Online accounts for over fifteen years.

AH isn't static AI only, it is persistent, your AI flights appear in the sim and operate your schedules whether you are playing it or not and you can operate it across a network with other players too, as well as run a VA from it, which it has a specific dedicated interface for. Even if you just work alone in it, it still has an in flight map where you can chat to other players live and see what they are flying and where to, as well as issue PIREPs for real world weather to alert other flyers. And no, you actually can't give yourself two hundred billion in AH, you start with a specific amount; after that, anything you make, or lose, is up to you. You can take out a loan, but how much you can borrow is based on your reputation, and unless you've been playing it for years and have a superb reputation, the most you'll be able to borrow is maybe a few million quid, which of course you have to pay back.

So, clearly you've either never used AH at all if you think your assessment of it is even remotely accurate, or if you have used it, then it was not to anywhere near its potential. The fact that it does let you do all that stuff is why I won't pay a subscription for something which is not offering anything it does not for a fixed purchase price.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

On a complete side note I am entirely looking forward to AH (3?) on MSFS2020.  I always liked that program and was delighted when it came to X-Plane.

20 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, the subscription fee lost me too. £57 quid a year......a subscription you forgot you signed up for.......I've had three EVE Online accounts for over fifteen years.

You've spent $ thousands on a subscription model but squawk at a 57.00€ two year sub model in which you can unsub instantly at a click of a button.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Just now, FPStewy said:

You've spent $ thousands on a subscription model but squawk at a 57.00€ two year sub model in which you can unsub instantly at a click of a button.

Yes, when there is an alternative which does not require a subscription, as is the case with AH, but not with EVE, which has over the years constantly been improved and had content added, that's what makes the subscription worth paying for that.

Alan Bradbury

30 minutes ago, Chock said:

Yes, when there is an alternative which does not require a subscription, as is the case with AH

Your logic doesn't make sense, that's like saying why pay double and buy FS20 when there are already cheaper alternatives, where those alternatives already have fully functioning study level airliners, tons of 3rd party tried and tested addons, some would even say that FS20 just has glorified scenery but you still bought it. Comparing AH to OnAir is like comparing XP to MSFS20. I have played AH for months but comparing both OnAir is better in many aspects and yes I'm willing to pay for that type of quality.

• Upvote 1

Does it work well alongside self loading cargo?

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.