Sign in to follow this  
teenflon5

Best Trim Wheel

Tarot , Visconte Sforza 1460 A.D., Milano

9336ee1b00932c260a8098e47047d859.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Same card from tarot deck, 1709 A.D., Marseilles.

10_la_roue_de_fortune.jpg

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 9/13/2020 at 9:53 AM, Manny said:

I know for sure one trim wheel that does not work properly and that is the Saitek Cessna wheel. Horrible. It goes to sleep and when you move, it tries to wake up and its all over the place. I tried many things to prvent it from going to sleep...but no success. Saitek ought to have fixed this but they never did

Saitek never offered any support for this issue, which affected other Saitek products, especially some of the panels.  There is an effective two-step fix.  The first is in Control Panel, Device Manager, Human Interface Devices.  Locate the culprit USB item by disconnecting and then reconnecting it as it may not be clearly labeled.  May just say something like Game Controller".   Click and look at the properties, power management, and unselect that option if it is checked.  The second step is to hunt down one of two or three registry patches that have floated around.  Look for "USB Enhanced Power Manager Disabler".  Took both to cure my dark Saitek issue and all has been good ever since.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

On 9/13/2020 at 10:14 AM, haskell said:

Saitek Cessna Wheel works flawlessly for me. I only have to wake it up once, at the beginning of the flight. Works great for me, especially in the GA planes. 

I only have to wake mine when Windows starts. 

I went to device manager and disabled power management for everything USB and HUD. There is also a setting in advanced power management that can cause USB devices to go to sleep. (I forget what its called)

If all this fails there is a registry edit that can do all this, I dont remember where I saw this but I suspect a google search may provide some results. Just be careful of files that edit your registry, because if it goes bad, a windows re install may be in your future.

Robin

Thanks, people. So after reading above messages, I used search term: USB Enhanced Power Manager Disable REGISTRY

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=USB+Enhanced+Power+Manager+Disable+REGISTRY&ia=web

Looking over the search result list, It  looks like that the setting that can cause a device to sleep is called "USB selective suspend setting"

Here is Tutankh "Maverick" Amun from the bronze age before stainless steel.

egyptian-chariot.jpg

It's been a while since I looked at this post but liked some of the replies! I bought the components for the trim wheel by flight sim maker (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4290141) but it looks like it uses SimVim software which I dont think works with FS2020, and the instructions for that wheel were pretty awful! 

I cant find a compatible trim wheel online and dont want to spend more than £50 really. I had another look for DIY options and saw one which suggested using ardunio to turn the movement of the encoder into key presses, but turns out the Arduino Mega doesnt support this only the leonardo 🙂 Then had another look and found another option which used some 3rd party board but I can no longer find or remember what it was called! 

Has anyone got a DIY trim wheel to work with FS2020 and any ideas on which one I should go for? I imagine I will need to buy another board regardless of which route I go for

At this point I am just waiting to be able to order a bravo throttle controller.  From some people I have talked to who had the units they said the wheel is quite good.  Otherwise Flight Velocity looks very close to the Saitek Trim wheels but better built and they have instructions on how to set it up for MSFS and X-Plane.

On 9/13/2020 at 3:13 PM, Ixoye said:

Yes trimming with an on-off button is extremely difficult, my Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas was pre-programmed with the trim function on the joystick's point of view button, it did not work well, I moved the trim funktion to the increase-decrease axis option on the throttle instead, and now can I fine-tune very easily, the difference with having the trim function on an axis are like night and day.

Hello Ixoye.

can you please explain more in depth what you did, as I received my Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas yesterday, and my knowlidge how to program it is very little. I've made a flight in FS2020 with the default assigments and trim with the bottun is very difficult.

Thank you!

HB

Edited by Abrupto

Deleted.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

11 hours ago, Abrupto said:

Hello Ixoye.

can you please explain more in depth what you did, as I received my Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas yesterday, and my knowlidge how to program it is very little. I've made a flight in FS2020 with the default assigments and trim with the bottun is very difficult.

Thank you!

HB

To the right of the throttle handle you have a gray lever that is marked Decrease + Increase, this is the one I have assign for aileron trim, it is the "Joystick Axis X" on the throttle, I use a sensitivity on the axis at -40% and zero deadzone, you have to scroll down in the axis list to see it.

You can learn how to assign buttons and axis in MSFS in this video tutorial.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Personally I am hoping the Honeycomb Bravo will take care of this.  

With some aircraft in FSX I was using the trim wheel on a Saitek Multipanel and it worked fine.  Just got tired of configuring Spad:Next for other Multipanel functions and removed it from my system...

Frank Patton
ASUS 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:53 AM, Manny said:

I know for sure one trim wheel that does not work properly and that is the Saitek Cessna wheel. Horrible. It goes to sleep and when you move, it tries to wake up and its all over the place. I tried many things to prvent it from going to sleep...but no success. Saitek ought to have fixed this but they never did

Manny

I have it and it is wonderful....as a tiller control for PMDG NGXu!  Plus it keeps my keyboard contained as my kb sits on top of a Saitek Yoke.  The right side is stopped by a Saitek TQ, and left side the Cessna Trim Wheel.  Quite frankly assigning a rocker-switch as an electric trim is great and is very easy to control.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

11 hours ago, Ixoye said:

To the right of the throttle handle you have a gray lever that is marked Decrease + Increase, this is the one I have assign for aileron trim, it is the "Joystick Axis X" on the throttle, I use a sensitivity on the axis at -40% and zero deadzone, you have to scroll down in the axis list to see it.

Just want to add a tiny tip. I found a quick way to assign axis/button in MSFS is that after selecting the key/axis assignment window, just directly move the axis or press the button that you intend to assign and the MSFS will instantly register it. 

This little discovery made a day and night difference to me when configuring the HOTAS etc. 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11