Sign in to follow this  
Dirk98

Anybody's flying with TrackIR?

3 hours ago, RichieFly said:

This is what I ended up doing (more or less). I finally just gave up. That's my limitations; not a swipe at  TiR or MFS.

I feel the click-zones are much too small and fiddly. Adding any motion only makes it more difficult to manipulate.

I've been experimenting with using Matric along with my tablet to manipulate things like heading, course and altitude values. It works well, but I'm trying to avoid too much ceremony when it comes time to fly. It's all still new and I'm trying this and that each time out.

Trust me, RichieFly, it's not your limitation it is limitation of MSFS2020 designers' understanding of the modern view systems in on flight simulators and custom software and hardware available for it.  Every other flightsim has capabilities and specific SDK tools to manage that. All MSFS2020 designers have known about camera views is based on XBOX gamepad, and that is the problem.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

3 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Ryan,  I have the same problem and I reported it via Zendesk.  They wrote back with a few suggestions, none of which worked, and marked it solved.  I re-opened the ticket and they wrote back saying it has been logged as a bug and escalated.

Have you reported it?

-Jay.

Thank you, Jay. 

3 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Pause it with a key on throttle. I only use it during takeoff and landing. During cruise it’s just as easy to pan around 

Yes, I like it. But there are still a few snags even here though.

3 hours ago, cudgedave said:

I'm using 'Delanclip' with a PS3 camera and works a treat.

I have no idea, TIR is industry standard so to say. Even though that I have HP REVERB and fly with it occasionally in other flightsims.

3 hours ago, jaybird1nyc said:

Ryan,  I have the same problem and I reported it via Zendesk.  They wrote back with a few suggestions, none of which worked, and marked it solved.  I re-opened the ticket and they wrote back saying it has been logged as a bug and escalated.

Have you reported it?

-Jay.

Jay, thank you for your efforts on behalf of us who are less articulate unlike you )) 

I also use TIR but set each axis Template to DeadZone. Then keep my head as still as possible.

However, even so, I notice that as the aircraft is maneuvering  while I'm operating a control, the mouse can wander off the control. A little frustrating but hey.

I've got about 35 hours in MSFS so far and all of them flown with TrackIR.

If I'm having a particularly bumpy flight I'll mouse-wheel zoom in a couple of notches to improve my aim at the switch or dial that needs interacting with.

You get used to riding with the airframe's movements and using TrackIR. 

There is a bug in MFS2020 causing the view to reset to default when TrackIR is pasued for more than ca. 6 seconds. It's well documented on this forum, I suggest using search function. 

The workaround if you need more time than 6 sec to play with your instrument:

I. Setup:

1. Assign a button in TrackIR software to toggle TrackIR pause. 

2. Assign save view command in MFS2020 to the same button. Each time you will enable or disable pause, the view will be saved. 

3. Assign another button in MFS2020 to load the view which was previously saved, when pausing TrackIR.

4. For each axis in TrackIR software define some deadzone, to prevent the view moving when making small head movements around normal head position.

5. Assign button in TrackIR software to reset position, this will help recentering the default head position, when you change your seating position. This will be also the center of the deadzone. 

II. Usage:

1. Look at the instrument you want to play with. Zoom closer, be moving your head closer to the instrument. 

2. Pause and immediately unpause TrackIR, when looking at the instrument, the view will be saved.

3. Use the other button to invoke the saved, typically zommed view, with your head in the default position. It will be in the TrackIR deadzone center so the view won't be moving. 

4. Play with your instrument, while keeping your head relatively still, in the center of the deadzone. 

5. Press the view button again to go back to the normal view. 

It will require some training, but it should work until Asobo will fix the 6 sec. view reset issue. 

Edited by Steku
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steku said:

There is a bug in MFS2020 causing the view to reset to default when TrackIR is pasued for more than ca. 6 seconds. It's well documented on this forum, I suggest using search function. 

Your observation is correct and your workaround is a very good idea.

But I am not sure if this really is a bug or it is that way by design. Actually I like it to be the way it is. So I can just pause TIR no matter where I currently look and be sure the view resets to default after a few seconds - where I normally want it to be. Of course I understand that others might like it the other way - where the view stays where you paused TIR.

So this should be an optional setting. I remember in EZCA you could set the amount of time until the view switches back to default after TIR was paused. Such an option should also be included in MSFS.

Edited by RALF9636
  • Like 1

I would say it's a bug. TrackIR remains paused after the 6 sec. when the view snaps back to the default. When you unpause it, the view snaps abruptly to the current head position. 

• Like 1

This is a MSFS bug already confirmed on TrackIR official forum by their staff. Asobo is already aware of this and it seems a fix is on the way. The question is when.

This has nothing to do with bad design or  limitation of MSFS2020 designers' understanding of the modern view systems. 

29 minutes ago, alexbap said:

This is a MSFS bug already confirmed on TrackIR official forum by their staff. Asobo is already aware of this and it seems a fix is on the way. The question is when.

This has nothing to do with bad design or  limitation of MSFS2020 designers' understanding of the modern view systems. 

. . . And nothing to do with Natural Point either.  If you look at the advantage TrackIR gives us in terms of cockpit functionality these are minor gripes and easily overcome.

A fix? Yeah, whenever. . .don't rush MS. 

Let's get the birds flyable first.

17 hours ago, Steku said:

2. Assign save view command in MFS2020 to the same button. Each time you will enable or disable pause, the view will be saved. 

Which one is that? VFR PILOT VIEW SAVE?

On 9/26/2020 at 9:14 PM, RALF9636 said:

So this should be an optional setting. I remember in EZCA you could set the amount of time until the view switches back to default after TIR was paused. Such an option should also be included in MSFS.

They'd better add TIR On/Off switch to every camera defintion in cameras.cfg like in EZCA and X-Camera.

Edited by Dirk98