Sign in to follow this  
benwbriscoe

Best JFK airport scenery for V5

On 10/12/2020 at 1:35 AM, G-RFRY said:

It appears FSDT has dropped development of P3Dv5 airports reading there forum but continue with GSX, in time someone else will step up they always do.

They were working on KPIT as well for P3D. I presume that will never see the light of day for P3D which is a real shame.

• Upvote 2

Eric 

FSDT has been making quality sceneries for both 32 bit and 64 bit sims for a very, very long time! I can only recall one or two sceneries that were actually a paid upgrade.

I would venture to guess that the majority of P3D users have GSX/GSX2 installed on their machines as well.

In reality, there are literally only a handful of quality scenery developers out there.

Over the years, I have seen too many threads here that come across as personal "assaults" on Umberto, generally about support of his products...and mostly unfounded.

Today, I'm now reading complaints about what he hasn't done! Unbelievable!

With so few quality options, I ask myself what would kept him/FSDT motivated to continue to develop products for our hobby with these types of "positive" threads?

Food for thought.

• Upvote 1

I’m a defender of him also. However jfk is massively outdated. I’d be willing to pay full price for a new version. Without question 

• Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

6 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Just before V5 KORD using the full SDK was released when users asked what was next the reply was KFJK was going to get the same for V5. when reminded  not long ago about this they said we did not know about MSFS that has changed thing`s.

KORD it's a scenery that came out well before P3D V5 was even announced, since it came out in August 2019, while P3D V5 came out in April 2020.

In August 2019, nobody knew much about MSFS, except it would came out sometime in the following year. And nobody knew back then which detailed airports would have been included and even less about their quality, the only thing sure is that we would surely have to work on it.

Then news came MSFS would include an handmade JFK by default even in the Standard version so, clearly, spending a couple of years to redo JFK from scratch for:

- A sim that included a reasonably good version of JFK even in the standard version ( this would already cut our potential sales in half, or even more )

- A sim that in 2 years might end up with its user base halved ( cutting the potential sales in half again )

That's not a very sound business strategy. That's why we ported KORD V2, which is a brand new scenery 100% PBR that converts well in MSFS and doesn't look dated and it didn't took 2 years to do, because it was a conversion.

5 hours ago, micstatic said:

I’m a defender of him also. However jfk is massively outdated. I’d be willing to pay full price for a new version. Without question 

KORD was even in a worse shape than KJFK is, since it was missing runways, taxiways and approaches. Yet, only about 1/5 of the existing KORD users decided to buy KORD V2 at a discount.

We guess part of the problem is because it was made only for P3D4, while the old version ran on FSX and even FS9, but I'm afraid that's exactly what hard core P3D user would want: a truly native version, not a conversion from a lesser simulator. And you are absolutely right, the problem is...there's not enough of you!

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, virtuali said:

KORD was even in a worse shape than KJFK is, since it was missing runways, taxiways and approaches. Yet, only about 1/5 of the existing KORD users decided to buy KORD V2 at a discount.

We guess part of the problem is because it was made only for P3D4

The real problem was that Drzewiecki Design got their Chicago Airports X product (KORD, KMDW and KPWK) out to market 3 months before your KORD v2 was released and for just €7 more for three airports. It was a timing and value thing.

I too would love to see KJFK for P3D5, but 2 years from now is too long in a highly changeable market environment. Mid-sized airports like KPIT, EHRD, YPAD, YPDN or maybe OMAA at a push, could be worth your while in P3D.

Unless the A320 gets a Zibo-like improvement, MSFS doesn't appeal for airliners in the same way as P3D. There's also nothing publically shared that would suggest that a quality payware airliner will appear in MSFS anytime soon, so no more large airport purchases in MSFS for me.
P3D is a completely different story, however.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, F737NG said:

The real problem was that Drzewiecki Design got their Chicago Airports X product (KORD, KMDW and KPWK) out to market 3 months before your KORD v2 was released and for just €7 more for three airports. It was a timing and value thing.

I was sure somebody would have brought up DD but no, they are not a factor, not in the slightest. They also have a product which includes New York with 3 airports which more recent and competes with our JFK that came out in 2013 as a half-remake of the original version from 2009, and it never had ANY effect ( not even in the slightest ), to our sales of KJFK. Is as if that scenery never existed.

So no, there's no difference between JFK and KORD, they both have a competitor with "more value" ( although somebody here said that our KJFK from 2013 looks better than DD from 2018... ), the ONLY difference is that JFK is available for FSX and P3D, while KORD V2 is P3D4 only. Which makes it the BEST product for P3D users.

And I think you misunderstood me: it's not as if we are not happy of KORD V2 sales, because they HAVE been fairly good. However, it still remains the fact that not enough users of the old O'Hare decided to "pay for the upgrade", even if it was discounted, and even if the scenery was completely remade for the ground up.

So I'm sorry, but the sad hard fact is, without the Flight Simulator user base, we cannot really sustain a business of making large airports, maybe other developers from countries with a lower cost of living can, but not us. Maybe if MSFS never came out, we would probably started to support X-Plane, but that's not what happened.

MSFS doesn't appeal for airliners in the same way as P3D

But it blew out of the water any competition when VFR/GA is concerned. Why you think we just released Key West ? And we'll have another small airport in a beautiful area coming out shortly.

There's also nothing publically shared that would suggest that a quality payware airliner will appear in MSFS anytime soon

You, as an user, have the luxury to live in the present, and it's easy to make the "right" choices in this case. We can't do that: if we need to start a new large airport that will take a lot of time, we must guess what the market situation will be in 18-24 months. And in the next 18-24 months, I'm fairly sure there will be several high quality payware airliners for MSFS.

Edited by virtuali
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, virtuali said:

We guess part of the problem is because it was made only for P3D4, while the old version ran on FSX and even FS9, but I'm afraid that's exactly what hard core P3D user would want: a truly native version, not a conversion from a lesser simulator. And you are absolutely right, the problem is...there's not enough of you!

Thanks as always for your reply and for your contributions to our hobby. I’m still frustrated with msfs. It was sold as the greatest sim yet. But for airliner guys like me it’s far from it. I’m hopeful it will mature. But in the meantime it’s disappointing as it’s taking the fine developers away creating fabulous scenery for the new sim. But still not too usable for us in this sub niche

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I hope everyone took notice that Umberto popped into thread and completely ignored my comment about KPIT and it no longer coming to P3D. 

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

I hope everyone took notice that Umberto popped into thread and completely ignored my comment about KPIT and it no longer coming to P3D. 

This is a thread about JFK, and I obviously reply to that.

Not sure what really is your point about your off-topic comment about KPIT. You wanted to change this subject into another clone of the already very long "Why scenery developers focus on MSFS instead of P3D?" topic ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, virtuali said:

This is a thread about JFK, and I obviously reply to that.

Not sure what really is your point about your off-topic comment about KPIT. You wanted to change this subject into another clone of the already very long "Why scenery developers focus on MSFS instead of P3D?" topic ?

As most topics go, they stray from center line at times but remain within the runway. Started with best JFK, topic brought up FSDT and it not being updated from you and morphed into FSDT not doing anything else for P3D (except GSX) and I brought up KPIT. Which you have still not addressed directly. We know you all were working on it for some time. It's clear by you still not addressing it you all have stopped P3D work on KPIT and it will now be MSFS only. Sure will be fun flying into all these big major airports in default Cessna's. 🙄

Edited by B777ER

Eric 

Have you noticed these open ended questions tend to highlight division based on strong, combative preferences and opinions.  But I'm sure the OP didn't mean that.  So, here I go.  My answer to @benwbriscoe is, it depends.  The best JFK scenery for P3DvX is the one that meets the simmer's requirements.  For example, if you're short on funds and/or looking for scenery that will also be ok for online use, this one may satisfy your requirements.  If you are more interested in how your airplane looks at the airport (maybe you're into photography), then this one may be to your liking, though that's entirely up to your taste (BTW, it works in time-limited demo mode, so you can try it and see).  This one provides more airports in the area, in case you lean towards getting more airports for less money (there's a free demo too).  So, pick one that meets your requirements, unless what you're really asking is what should be my requirements for selecting a JFK scenery for P3D.  

On the matter of FSDT and KPIT, asked and answered.  I'm sure many, but not all, will eventually migrate to MFS once their favorite aircrafts are offered for it.  Meanwhile, recommend using what's available that meet your requirements in P3D (this is the P3D forum, right?), from default to various degrees above.  Developers have to make business decisions that meet their business strategy and goals.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

1 hour ago, B777ER said:

We know you all were working on it for some time. It's clear by you still not addressing it you all have stopped P3D work on KPIT and it will now be MSFS only. Sure will be fun flying into all these big major airports in default Cessna'

We have such a long list of airports coming up for MSFS that, by the time we'll finish them, you'll DEMAND something to land your brand new PMDG for MSFS on to, and you'll complain if we weren't ready for it.

That's what I meant, when I tried to explain when I said we must make decisions for the future.

• Like 1

Flightbeam are by far the best  developers.

kept their sceneries to a minimum.

and they are masterpieces.

”less is more”

i own a few of them. And I have yet to make a complaint about their sceneries.

like some developers trying to make 20 airports and releasing them early trying to make a quick buck.

No point in giving the consumer whatever they demand If there is no pride and passion put into the scenery.

just my 2 cents 

mike

@virtuali, FS Labs have announced today they are developing a Concorde for P3D v4 and v5. It would be fitting for her to fly into a 64-bit version of JFK.

Is it really true that FSDT are no longer developing large airports for P3D?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather