Sign in to follow this  
psolk

FSDT Vancouver V2 imminent...

I will go try the default and see what happens, although I am sure I have flown it before with no issue. 

21 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

The forum for CYVR for FSDT is at: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/board,66.0.html. You can report the bug there and one of the developers can fix it (I am waiting for the MSFS marketplace release of CYVR so technically, I don't own it yet so I can't really report the bug).

Thanks, will do.  In the default scenery, the ILS is correct, so it is an FSDT bug.

Edit: Already logged..

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24376.0.html

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

11 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I just flew it in the Bonanza and experienced the same problem.. the ILS is definitely not correct.

Thanks for confirming! I just tried it again as well, same result. 

4 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

You can report the bug there and one of the developers can fix it

Thanks for the link. I‘ll report it.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Just for fun I went and flew all the ILSs in the citation. Default scenery. All Worked A ok. Tomorrow, in real life at YVR Nav Canada will be flight checking the ILSs and non precision approaches as well!

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Thanks, will do.  In the default scenery, the ILS is correct, so it is an FSDT bug.

Edit: Already logged..

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24376.0.html

I discovered the MFD would not display or even list the ILS frequencies of Orbx KSBA, nor FSDT KPDX-HD, in the TBM930.  I uninstalled KPDX and sure enough the default KPDX displays all of the ILS freq at KPDX.  I thought because this is common to both devs I sent the information to the zendesk and they are looking into why this is so in case it's something on the common side--theirs.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

26L on CYVR I am parallel to the runway..but right over the terminal building... descending nicely on the GS

My heading seems right.  flying the A320 Neo

https://ibb.co/tHFRd61

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

2 hours ago, Manny said:

26L on CYVR I am parallel to the runway..but right over the terminal building... descending nicely on the GS

My heading seems right.  flying the A320 Neo

https://ibb.co/tHFRd61

I suppose it’s not related to this mod, but as a Vancouver native and frequent flyer, it bugs me that you can assign or be assigned 26L or 8R for landing at CYVR in the sim. That runway is used exclusively for take offs.  26R/8L are used exclusively for landings. But this is not respected in the sim (By ATC or flight planning tools). I wonder how many airports have similar conventions that are also being ignored. 

19 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I suppose it’s not related to this mod, but as a Vancouver native and frequent flyer, it bugs me that you can assign or be assigned 26L or 8R for landing at CYVR in the sim. That runway is used exclusively for take offs.  26R/8L are used exclusively for landings. But this is not respected in the sim (By ATC or flight planning tools). I wonder how many airports have similar conventions that are also being ignored. 

On Vatsim, I think 8R was assigned for takeoff and landing a few days ago. My understanding is that takeoff/landing depends on the winds for that day. So 8R can be used for takeoff and landing if the winds are going from east to west as per this video from CYVR: 

Edited by abrams_tank

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

59 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

On Vatsim, I think 8R was assigned for takeoff and landing a few days ago. My understanding is that takeoff/landing depends on the winds for that day. So 8R can be used for takeoff and landing if the winds are going from east to west as per this video from CYVR: 

In Vancouver, wind definitely determines what direction your runway heading is. But the Northern runway (8L/26R) is always used for landings... just the direction changes... If winds are blowing west, you will land on 8L. If the winds are blowing east you will land on 26R. Same runway... different direction. 

The southern runway (8R/26L) is always used for takeoffs... into the wind. 8R for wind blowing west, 26L for wind blowing east.

The thing is, unless you work at the airport, travel there a lot, or plane spot, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to know or find this info. It’s not readily published anywhere I’ve found. 

Edit: Here's a doc which supports what I'm saying... all the green departures are from the southern runway. Most of the red arrivals are to the northern runway, although it does seem as though a few arrivals use the south runway... but not as many as the north, and no departures use the north runway at all.

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/noise-documents/website-update-2017/en_aircraft-flight-routings_updated.pdf

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Virtual-Chris said:

In Vancouver, wind definitely determines what direction your runway heading is. But the Northern runway (8L/26R) is always used for landings... just the direction changes... If winds are blowing west, you will land on 8L. If the winds are blowing east you will land on 26R. Same runway... different direction. 

The southern runway (8R/26L) is always used for takeoffs... into the wind. 8R for wind blowing west, 26L for wind blowing east.

The thing is, unless you work at the airport, travel there a lot, or plane spot, there doesn’t seem to be anyway to know or find this info. It’s not readily published anywhere I’ve found. 

Edit: Here's a doc which supports what I'm saying... all the green departures are from the southern runway. Most of the red arrivals are to the northern runway, although it does seem as though a few arrivals use the south runway... but not as many as the north, and no departures use the north runway at all.

https://www.yvr.ca/-/media/yvr/documents/noise-documents/website-update-2017/en_aircraft-flight-routings_updated.pdf

Oh cool.  The video I posted from Vancouver Airport didn’t specify this.  That’s something new that I learned!

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

The above is pretty much correct. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the airport is basically operated as two separate fields. The North is for arrivals, the south is for departures... However, we will regularly land aircraft on the south runway in between departures. Particularly smaller aircraft (Dash 8s, B1900s, Biz jets etc). Lots of times you will see the aircraft request a side step over to the south. Its a long taxi from the North to the south side facilities. The north will sometimes be used for departures, it is not never used. A few times a month the south closes for maintenance, and the north is the primary departure and arrival runway. This is typically done overnight. The real treat is when the crosswind runway is used... usually a couple times a year. creates chaos on the approach as everything backs up. 

One of the main reasons that the airport is divided like this is the lack of taxiway infrastructure. There are limited North South taxi routes. You have TWY J which can take an AGN 5 Aircraft soon to be AGN 6 when the new D Pier extension opens, TWY V, R, and H which can handle AGN 6 (limited during deicing due to queuing)... but then you only have TWY L leading to the 8R end, and D to the 26L end. Allowing arrivals and departures on both runways would create a chaotic scene on the ground. One project on the books was the north south taxiway that would go OVERTOP of the train from the north field to the southside. All these types of projects are on hold now due to the current state of the industry.

Tower is also set up to manage the North and the south air space and ground traffic respectively. They essentially operate as separate airfields as mentioned. Figured some tidbits of info would be appreciated by this group. 

Source... I work at the airport and have done so since 2011!

• Like 4

On 10/18/2020 at 5:45 PM, Noel said:

nor FSDT KPDX-HD, in the TBM930. 

@Noel

Noel, I mentioned to you earlier in the same topic that FSDT doesn’t make KPDX, it’s published by Flightbeam. 

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 hours ago, jpe828 said:

The above is pretty much correct. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, the airport is basically operated as two separate fields. The North is for arrivals, the south is for departures... However, we will regularly land aircraft on the south runway in between departures. Particularly smaller aircraft (Dash 8s, B1900s, Biz jets etc). Lots of times you will see the aircraft request a side step over to the south. Its a long taxi from the North to the south side facilities. The north will sometimes be used for departures, it is not never used. A few times a month the south closes for maintenance, and the north is the primary departure and arrival runway. This is typically done overnight. The real treat is when the crosswind runway is used... usually a couple times a year. creates chaos on the approach as everything backs up. 

One of the main reasons that the airport is divided like this is the lack of taxiway infrastructure. There are limited North South taxi routes. You have TWY J which can take an AGN 5 Aircraft soon to be AGN 6 when the new D Pier extension opens, TWY V, R, and H which can handle AGN 6 (limited during deicing due to queuing)... but then you only have TWY L leading to the 8R end, and D to the 26L end. Allowing arrivals and departures on both runways would create a chaotic scene on the ground. One project on the books was the north south taxiway that would go OVERTOP of the train from the north field to the southside. All these types of projects are on hold now due to the current state of the industry.

Tower is also set up to manage the North and the south air space and ground traffic respectively. They essentially operate as separate airfields as mentioned. Figured some tidbits of info would be appreciated by this group. 

Source... I work at the airport and have done so since 2011!

Thanks for the added insights. I’ve flown in and out of there once per month or more on mostly long haul flights for the last 13 years and never had a departure on the North runway or an arrival on the south that I know about. Which makes for a long snooze on the departure taxi. 😉

As I mentioned earlier, it’s odd that this practise is not published on any charts or even airport reference sites that I come across. It makes me wonder how many airports have similar practices that flight simmers are completely oblivious to. 

9 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Thanks for the added insights. I’ve flown in and out of there once per month or more on mostly long haul flights for the last 13 years and never had a departure on the North runway or an arrival on the south that I know about. Which makes for a long snooze on the departure taxi. 😉

As I mentioned earlier, it’s odd that this practise is not published on any charts or even airport reference sites that I come across. It makes me wonder how many airports have similar practices that flight simmers are completely oblivious to. 

Its not "published" deliberately. Many airports have their standard operating process, or best practices. The reason it is not published? Flexibility. If something happens where that operation changes suddenly, we do not want it as a published procedure which then requires a NOTAM change. It is not a "procedure" per se as an approach or code route is. 

There have been times in the past when YVR would run both runways for departures. They call it SPIDS (Simultaneous Parallel Instrument Departures) but it actually slows things down and makes it all more inefficient due to restrictions in place on who gets what runway. The South runway gets offload arrival traffic when the north is loaded or when there's a gain to be had in doing so, it all depends on who's working arrival at the time.

• Like 2

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS