Sign in to follow this  
FAZZ3

PMDG 737 NG3 delayed to 12+ months

9 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

Unfortunate news but it's pretty much to be expected, as long as it hits the usual PMDG standards it'll be worth it. Could be worse - it took them 4 years after FSX to release the NGX so anything sooner than that is ideally very good, especially for a brand new platform.

This is an excellent reminder that our most favorite add-ons for FSX such as PMDG and others only came after not months, but years of development and waiting for them. None of that changes for MSFS which essentially is a done-from-scratch sim from the ground up. I for one am good with it all.

United001

• Like 3

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I don't understand PMDG's decisions. They spent lots of time bring out BBJ or Cargo 737, while many are waiting for the 777 to be used in P3DV5, what's their logic then. Do they think people really care that much about a variant of the 737 than an entirely fleet of usable 777 or even 787. It is not really understandable from a customer's point of view. The resource spent on BBJ is not worth than much anticipated 777.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, nicboyGS said:

I don't understand PMDG's decisions. They spent lots of time bring out BBJ or Cargo 737, while many are waiting for the 777 to be used in P3DV5, what's their logic then. Do they think people really care that much about a variant of the 737 than an entirely fleet of usable 777 or even 787. It is not really understandable from a customer's point of view. The resource spent on BBJ is not worth than much anticipated 777.

As they have said many times there is more than one team working at PMDG. The crew assigned to the 777 has the most work involved bring it up to speed compared to the 737 and 747 which were already updated. The 737 expansions are a lot easier for the 737 team to work because the base is already been updated. The 777 is almost a ground up project seeing it is the oldest in the product line. Your under the assumption that there is only one group working and they only work one aircraft at a time. Just because you don’t care about the 737 expansion doesn’t mean others don’t. I wanted the Cargo version but could care less about the BBJ. There are some who love the BBJ from all the replies. So it’s a user preference on what they prefer. I’m also waiting for the 777 which I know will arrive soon. I’m just patient to wait. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I love all the hyperbole on these forums when one can just read what PMDG said themselves on the matter and then people continue to ignore that and make up whatever they feel like.

1) PMDG has said they feel MSFS is the future platform of choice.

2) They said the SDK is not where they need it to be but they are ACTIVELY communicating with Asobo which is unprecedented for them.

3) They are looking at a Q3/Q4 2021 release of a 737 for MSFS and will be moving resources to continue P3D development in the mean time.

Other things we can infer: making a study level aircraft takes time.  A lot of times couple that with a new SDK platform and its not so simple as just "porting" it over.  That much is clear from the delays.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I'm not surprised, quality takes time to achieve, but such a long development time gives a hint that the price will be accordingly.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

29 minutes ago, pjs37 said:

I love all the hyperbole on these forums when one can just read what PMDG said themselves on the matter and then people continue to ignore that and make up whatever they feel like.

1) PMDG has said they feel MSFS is the future platform of choice.

2) They said the SDK is not where they need it to be but they are ACTIVELY communicating with Asobo which is unprecedented for them.

3) They are looking at a Q3/Q4 2021 release of a 737 for MSFS and will be moving resources to continue P3D development in the mean time.

Other things we can infer: making a study level aircraft takes time.  A lot of times couple that with a new SDK platform and its not so simple as just "porting" it over.  That much is clear from the delays.

I totally agree with you, but to even try to sell PMDG MSFS products at this point would render all their 'not yet released" P3D products redundant! So I beleive their business choice is not totally linked to the "fluid MSFS SDK", but to get their P3D products out to a point where the income justifies movement forward..I mean these guys have been working for years on GFO, etc. And it could mean MSFS NG3 release now would make all that redundant..so they release P3D products, get the recovery of funds, wait a year, then move on for MSFS.

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

9 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

The "Trajectory" part is the concern for me .... will the gamers get more game or will the simmers get more sim or both or compromises?

With C++ and WASM, there is probably "some" portability, how much I don't know.  I'm a bit surprised more people aren't aware of the SDK limits ... everyone can run Developer mode and download/install the SDK and get access to the current documentation ...  you'll see the "Work in progress", "TODO", "NOT SUPPORTED" thru-out the documentation.  I would venture "12" months is aggressive and side more with "12+" months assuming the "Trajectory" doesn't change.  If more folks read the MSFS SDK documentation, I think you'd understand why it will take time.

Cheers, Rob.

Understood! I'm a pilot, and know nothing about software development....And I have a huge respect for your input to these forums!

Edited by Peter Webber

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

1 hour ago, Peter Webber said:

I totally agree with you, but to even try to sell PMDG MSFS products at this point would render all their 'not yet released" P3D products redundant! So I beleive their business choice is not totally linked to the "fluid MSFS SDK", but to get their P3D products out to a point where the income justifies movement forward..I mean these guys have been working for years on GFO, etc. And it could mean MSFS NG3 release now would make all that redundant..so they release P3D products, get the recovery of funds, wait a year, then move on for MSFS.

Oh probably.  They can't very well stay still.  If something looks like a longer pipeline then they had expected those additional resources you may have planned to move to MSFS should be moved back to P3D products in the mean time so they can keep continued income during the now longer then expected MSFS development time.

Whether anyone likes or not, FS2020 has put everyone in a holding pattern. The sheer size of MS makes all developers want to develop for the new sim. At the same time, sales of older sims have probably waned, so it's a loss-loss for everyone. Asobo has a lot of work ahead so that activity can resume. For now, there's no going back.

tc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peter Webber said:

I believe our professional aircraft developers are playing for time to sell off their existing P3D stock..😉

Yes, because they they have back stock sitting on shelves of their software downloads. Most ridiculous thing I've seen today. 

• Like 1

Eric 

2 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

If more folks read the MSFS SDK documentation, I think you'd understand why it will take time.

Cheers, Rob.

Why would they do that when they can speculate and say it's a nefarious plot by PMDG to sell more P3D products in back stock. I swear, I should sell tin foil hats on here.

• Like 2

Eric 

Anyone knowns if they have been around long enough Robert’s time line are always, + 6 months to a 1.5 years out.

So 2 years for the NG3 is my bet.

But let’s look at this like this. Unlike the passive negative put downs.

quote from Robert PMDG

Working in concert with Asobo has been a new experience for us, as we are normally very much just our own isolated team- but it has been invigorating to work with a team of devs so fully dedicated to the success of their platform. One day I will tell you what this is like and how it is changing the way we work

Lefteris from FSL

They have been requesting, and we have been providing information on all the technical aspects that are required to make our product compatible with this new platform. As many of you are aware however, the complexity of migrating products with such a high level of fidelity as ours requires that the underlying platform, and particularly the development kit for aircraft add-ons needs to grow and mature before it can sufficiently host them at the level required. We are confident that the Asobo team has the talent to make that a reality.

AS have been praising the team all along.

All these guys would not say these things if it was not true, so sit back, enjoy what MSFS brings and go fly P3D if you want to fly a FSL, PMDG. Simple.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

What I really want is the PMDG 777 for MSFS!

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

JS41 or nothing! #TeamJetstream4Life

In reality everyone had to see this coming. A2A initially had a bullish prospect of possibly having planes ported quickly, but that seems to have fizzled out as well.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

2 minutes ago, CaptainNick said:

JS41 or nothing! #TeamJetstream4Life

In reality everyone had to see this coming. A2A initially had a bullish prospect of possibly having planes ported quickly, but that seems to have fizzled out as well.

I would think anything with deep hooks into the sim and really stepped outside the standard box would run into a lot of similar hurdles.  However they made it work is going to be different or not even implemented yet in MSFS that its going to be slow going until the SDK catches up.  Both A2A and PMDG definitely had a lot of custom parts to their stuff. But those things are outside my area of expertise I am just making assumptions and speculation.