Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

It's COLD!

https://on.windy.com/49tk0

Never seen such cold in October when I lived out in New Mexico.  Take a look at Texas and Arizona.  Wow.

Dave

Edited by dave2013
  • Upvote 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

That's an effect of global warming. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hans

@hjsmuc Yes, somewhere else on the planet is being warmed at the expense of Texas and Arizona. I suppose the irony is: if globe is warming, why so cold in certain places?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

54 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

That's an effect of global warming. 

It's a shift in annual weather patterns, that is why some call it climate change. 

I don't debate it the costs of natural disasters speak for itself, also the quantity of diesel used by a Canadian Coast Guard Ship today compared to in the 1970s is another indicator, less ice means they use less diesel, they can tell you they are using much less diesel now compared to 40 years ago

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

1 hour ago, dave2013 said:

Never seen such cold in October when I lived out in New Mexico.  Take a look at Texas and Arizona.  Wow.

Dave

Yes!  I flew from Natchez, MS, to Ft Worth Alliance this morning and Windy.com warned me.  It was depicting a pretty good sized area in pink even at the surface.  Ice storms (surface) were forecast very near there.  IFR on top at 10,000 for the flight, with some excursions through clouds, but no icing.  Was right at 0°C OAT. 

NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway postponed until noon EDT today has still not been restarted at now 6 PM EDT.  At noon it was 39°F at the track. 

Dang!  The Windy.com screen I snipped got replaced by a later snip.  Here was the view on top.

image.png.7175883e83b70e9a8e5f5bab3f85b9b5.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well it's the end of October.  Cold happens.  Like the ol T-shirt said.

@birdguy you're at 30 degrees!!

I remember being a kid 40 years ago, and sweating in my halloween costume, but I also remember freezing in my costume.  It's that time year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 hours ago, dave2013 said:

You know what is really neat about Windy -- if you look at the Black Hills area -- just west of Rapid City -- you can see the winds at the lower levels from the southwest pushing around the Black Hills.  You can also see this effect around islands like Hawaii or Madeira sometimes.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

I suppose the irony is: if globe is warming, why so cold in certain places?

I suspect you're making a funny here.  But since that is an actual argument raised by some climate change deniers it deserves an answer here, just to prevent others from using it:

Weather is not climate.  By putting more heat into the atmosphere we aren't just making it *warmer*, we're adding more *energy*, which leads to all sorts of climatic chaos -- including some places seeing unusual cold.  Anyone who's lived in the upper midwest for the past few years now knows the "polar vortex" well.  This is one effect of global climate change:  warmer polar regions mean a less strong jet stream, which leads to that cold polar air wandering around in all sorts of places it doesn't usually.

Edited by kaosfere
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

@hjsmuc Yes, somewhere else on the planet is being warmed at the expense of Texas and Arizona. I suppose the irony is: if globe is warming, why so cold in certain places?

27 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

I suspect you're making a funny here.  But since that is an actual argument raised by some climate change deniers it deserves an answer here, just to prevent others from using it:

Weather is not climate.  By putting more heat into the atmosphere we aren't just making it *warmer*, we're adding more *energy*, which leads to all sorts of climatic chaos -- including some places seeing unusual cold.  Anyone who's lived in the upper midwest for the past few years now knows the "polar vortex" well.  This is one effect of global climate change:  warmer polar regions mean a less strong jet stream, which leads to that cold polar air wandering around in all sorts of places it doesn't usually.

Oh yes!  Of course!

You see, if it's too *cold*, then it's because of climate change, which itself is caused by global warming, so if A=B and B=C, then it follows that it is too *cold* because it is too *warm*.

Now, stay with me here, if it's too hot, then *that* is *also* because of climate change, and since climate change is caused by global warming then it is too hot because, well, it is too warm.

Just remember that no matter what happens with the climate, even if we have record cold in early Autumn, or a really hot Summer anywhere in the world(unusual I know), it is always and obviously because the climate is "shifting" or "changing" because of global warming.

See how that works? 

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Remember, kids, you have choices in life.  You can choose to engage with denialists whose posting history makes it clear that they make a hobby out of taking contrarian positions and with whom you're never going to agree.  Or you can accept the nearly universal scientific consensus that is no longer controversial outside of folks who are politically motivated to make it so.

You'll probably be branded a "sheep" or something for chosing the latter, but at least you'll demonstrate sound judgement and not waste your time screaming at a wall.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Take a look at Texas and Arizona.  Wow.

I live in Dallas and it’s been really cold Monday and today with lows in the 30’s and wind chills and/or indexes in the low 30’s. It’s definitely the coldest few days that I remember in the 20 years I’ve lived here.

Btw, I was surprised when I was watching football on Sunday and the Denver game came on and it was 16 degrees and snowing. 

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ice storm here. Pretty miserable. This after 8 weeks of not even a cloud in the sky and above normal temperatures. Perfectly normal.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

12 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Dave

Hear we go again. 

Cold in New Mexico is local short term weather. Not long term average global tempreture.

However... as others have told you, a good way to consider global warming is in terms of global energy increase. That global energy increase doesn't just vanish, it has an impact and that impact can be in terms of atmospheric disruption, sometimes referred to as global weirding.

Its also possible that your chilly short term local weather is a natural random fluctuation. Natural, local, short term cold snaps don't stop because the average tempreture of the entire globe, long term, is increasing.

Edited by martin-w

13 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

they can tell you they are using much less diesel now compared to 40 years ago

Could that be down to 40 years advancement of ship powerplant technology? :unsure:

EDIT and yes I was making funny earlier..

Edited by HighBypass
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

13 hours ago, kaosfere said:

Remember, kids, you have choices in life.  You can choose to engage with denialists whose posting history makes it clear that they make a hobby out of taking contrarian positions

In the last debate, the bit where he told me I didnt mind paying extra taxes for climate change because I live in a notorious tax haven, made me chuckle. 😆 

• Like 1