Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Hotfix for MSFS later today

"It was a new day yesterday, but it's an old day now..." [Bass guitar + flute riffs] 

• Like 1

Hope the fix helps. I had several interesting ctds today when I tried to load a flight from Frankfurt with the Airbus. Other flights with X Cub or Cessna loaded fine (mostly). Now I tried a very short hand-flown round from Dresden back to Dresden with the Airbus. I made a steep turn, full flaps, gear down, settled on something like an improvised glideslope, and: CTD. Sad. 🙂

Edited by crimplene

Well, depending on whether this hotfix is reported to work, I can then maybe close the sim and try updating, since I've left things running since before the update went live.🤞 Got a couple of very long trips in the bag as a result.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

3 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Boo! A CTD denier. CTDs are real.

No where in that post did they say they're denying it.

How about the thousands of users, modders, payware and freeware developers who are at this moment hacking their way through multiple files just to make a few addon liveries work? No mention of a "hotfix" for that. CTD issues are of course important, but this latest update is par for the course. It improved a couple of things, but broke more than it fixed. How long is this theme going to continue? Right now, destruction testing of updates and quality control is the most important thing Asobo could achieve.

It is not hard to do. You employ or beg around five people to sit in front of their monitors and load every conceivable scenario, menu, feature, aircraft and scenery, and you do not let them out until they have double, triple, quadruple tested every possibility. And if something doesn't work, YOU DO NOT RELEASE the update until it is fixed. Any self respecting freeware, let alone payware developer will tell you that this is what they do, and if they don't they are on a long march to endless updates/patches/fixes like a dog chasing its tail..

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

32 minutes ago, crimplene said:

Hope the fix helps. I had several interesting ctds today when I tried to load a flight from Frankfurt with the Airbus.

Stock A320?

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

1 minute ago, robert young said:

It is not hard to do. You employ or beg around five people to sit in front of their monitors and load every conceivable scenario, menu, feature, aircraft and scenery, and you do not let them out until they have double, triple, quadruple tested every possibility. And if something doesn't work, YOU DO NOT RELEASE the update until it is fixed. Any self respecting freeware, let alone payware developer will tell you that this is what they do, and if they don't they are on a long march to endless updates/patches/fixes like a dog chasing its tail..

It's impossible to find every single bug. They don't own every single piece of hardware combination out there.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

I'm glad you're not my boss.

Ha! Fair point. But being largely self-employed I force myself to do the checking. It might be tedious and tiring, but it reaps rewards when 3 weeks later you are not festooned with bug fixing requests.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

1 minute ago, robert young said:

Ha! Fair point. But being largely self-employed I force myself to do the checking. It might be tedious and tiring, but it reaps rewards when 3 weeks later you are not festooned with bug fixing requests.

You're still asking for the impossible. Especially with the project this big.

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

No where in that post did they say they're denying it.

It was a light-hearted comment, rather than a personal dig.🙂

• Upvote 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

8 minutes ago, robert young said:

You employ or beg around five people to sit in front of their monitors and load every conceivable scenario, menu, feature, aircraft and scenery, and you do not let them out until they have double, triple, quadruple tested every possibility. 

They need a beta testing team.  If the community can help them test, it will help a lot.  

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

Just now, abrams_tank said:

They need a beta testing team.  If the community can help them test, it will help a lot.  

They plan on doing that for later updates according to the road map. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

You're still asking for the impossible. Especially with the project this big.

Beg to differ. They have a larger scale and have more employees. These are not obscure bugs but major gaffs. They indicate that either few, or perhaps nobody is actually running the sim as a user would and checking the most basic functions. If that were the case, they would have spotted things in minutes. Quality control really is not that time consuming. You just run the sim and try all the menus, load all the options and see if they work. It doesn't take that long, honestly it doesn't.

Regarding hardware, they indeed do (or certainly should) run an array of easily accessible (and cheap for them, if they pay anything at all) controllers, sticks and yokes and occasionally plug them in to see if it crashes anything. If they don't do this utterly BASIC testing then they deserve all the flack they get. This is not a couple of geeks operating from a Gite in rural France! It's a major developer with currently 24 titles, some of which are very big budget projects, and a turnover of a lot of millions of Euros.

It's not a charity.

Edited by robert young
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It's impossible to find every single bug. They don't own every single piece of hardware combination out there.

A beta testing team would do wonders to find these types of bugs for Asobo.  For example, imagine if they let players opt in or out of a beta branch.  Even if 10% of the player base decided to opt in and download the beta version to try, that's a lot of people testing their beta branch.  Major bugs would be spotted quite quickly by such a base of beta testing players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

They plan on doing that for later updates according to the road map. 

So I have listened in on their Q&A on this, and they said they would do beta testing, but they didn't explicitly say if they were just beta testing for VR only, or whether the beta testing would continue after the VR patch was released.  They have already publicly declared that they are recruiting people to test their VR patch.  But they can just as easily discontinue the beta testing team after the VR patch is released.

It would be nice if Asobo explicitly confirmed they plan to continue a beta testing team after the VR patch is released.