Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

Hotfix for MSFS later today

6 hours ago, Fielder said:

On steam the folder which holds the controller profiles (you read them with notepad) is something like:

C:\Steam\userdata\94959374\1250410\remote

Thanks for the info, but it seems to me that all Steam setups are not equal. I do have the remote folders but nothing related to "input_profile..." inside any of them.

I think the best choice for now is to "patiently" wait for Asobo to release the promised hotfix during this weekend (I suspect some newcomers here would say that it was not "promised"..., but anyway 😴) and more importantly, that it will be successful. I don't think this hotfix will be optional, so everybody will have to install it anyway. I also don't want to think that we'll need to employ those kinds of workarounds at every update release (how many would they still be?, fifteen, twenty of them?, who knows?).

Another clear conclusion out of all this mess is that MS/Asobo need to figure out a way to be more reliable in future patches/updates, and implementing an effective QA program from now on.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

It's not the testing .... it's what they do with the reported faults. Most of those from the 'huge beta testing team' were simply ignored.
I suspect that little has changed.

It is also not exactly clear how they could have a large number of patch testers busily beta testing a new patch while the rest of us still run the existing version, at least without running two separate and distinct sets of servers. 

3 minutes ago, keithb77 said:

It's not the testing .... it's what they do with the reported faults. Most of those from the 'huge beta testing team' were simply ignored.
I suspect that little has changed.

Maybe the whole process have to be revised entirely.

There's also at this time a lot of people having problems loading the community liveries (third party repaints) after the recent update, because something was not properly tested before release and a intended change was not announced, etc., who knows?.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

While waiting for the patch for Patch 5... as my KB and Mouse are plugged directly into the computer, and all my flight controls go through my powered Belkin Hub... I'm going to try and run the sim with just KB and Mouse.  Perhaps it will load fully and run, and then I will plug in the hub and see if it detects my HW... anyone else try this... has it worked?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

1 hour ago, cavaricooper said:

While waiting for the patch for Patch 5... as my KB and Mouse are plugged directly into the computer, and all my flight controls go through my powered Belkin Hub... I'm going to try and run the sim with just KB and Mouse.  Perhaps it will load fully and run, and then I will plug in the hub and see if it detects my HW... anyone else try this... has it worked?

Ta- C

Carl, try it using the PSX and see if it will load.

No joy... as soon as I plugged in my hub, it found the new controllers in sim and CTD.

PSX always works fine!

C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

4 minutes ago, ashepherd316 said:

where can i get the hotfix

lol

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, edpatino said:

Maybe the whole process have to be revised entirely.

How do you revise that which doesn't exist? As far as I can tell, they have no discernable development and release process. This is not a team of software development professions. It's a bunch of guys doing cool stuff on their PCs.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

5 minutes ago, odourboy said:

How do you revise that which doesn't exist? As far as I can tell, they have no discernable development and release process. This is not a team of software development professions. It's a bunch of guys doing cool stuff on their PCs.

Actually, it appears that they do have a release process and that's why it is causing red tape for them.  I suspect they have to go through a release process for Windows Store, and then another one for Steam.  And that's probably why they were hesitant to do a hotfix one to two days after their patch in the past because of the red tape.  Anyways, that's my best educated guess as I am a software developer myself.

Seems like they were willing to jump over the hurdle of the red tape and do a hotfix for this release. What they really need is a beta testing team again.  A beta testing team will help them immensely to detect these problems before they release the patch.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

20 hours ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Hope it's not mandatory - for those of us who don't have the CTD issue.

likely an update for all.... the update will be in a new version is my bet

2 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Actually, it appears that they do have a release process and that's why it is causing red tape for them.  I suspect they have to go through a release process for Windows Store, and then another one for Steam.  And that's probably why they were hesitant to do a hotfix one to two days after their patch in the past because of the red tape.  Anyways, that's my best educated guess as I am a software developer myself.

Seems like they were willing to jump over the hurdle of the red tape and do a hotfix for this release. What they really need is a beta testing team again.  A beta testing team will help them immensely to detect these problems before they release the patch.

Don't confuse process with packaging. But I agree on the testing side... a proper regression test suite should be applied to anything that goes out the door. If if we're, these blunders wouldn't be happening.

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

16 minutes ago, odourboy said:

I think they surely have one, remember that is also MS not only Asobo behind this. In my opinion they need to improve their internal processes and take advantage of the experience of MS. Could you imagine this happening with a Windows 10 update?.

Let's hope this Update 5 will be a matter of the past after this weekend. And for Asobo, lessons learned I hope.

In the meantime, I'm back to my aging P3Dv4.5. At least it runs fabulous on my laptop.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed