Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've never looked into VR before; does anyone know how it will work when you have a yoke? Actually, I have been flight sim for many years and have several pieces of equipment. I don't see how you can use a thing that covers your eyes and use your flight sim equipment together. Can anyone help an older <cough> mature gentleman to understand how the technology works?

 

Thank you in advance,

Ed


Edward Smoker Sr.

Share this post


Link to post

You use your yoke, throttle levers, HOTAS, pedals, etc like you normally do. Your peripherals are right in front of you or right next to you, so it's no problem finding them and using them without looking. Like their real counterparts, they are designed to be used without looking. Throttle levers have knobs with different shapes so you can feel if it's the throttle or mixture lever. HOTAS buttons and hat switches are literally designed to be operated hands on only. 

It's as intuitive and natural as starting your car at night. You simply just remember where the ignition is and put the key in without looking. Same with the yoke - you just remember where it is and grab hold of it. 

Share this post


Link to post

Of course it would be great if you reach out in the sim and your hand grasps exactly what you expect to be there. I’m working on it...... https://authentikit.org

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JacquesBrel said:

You use your yoke, throttle levers, HOTAS, pedals, etc like you normally do. Your peripherals are right in front of you or right next to you, so it's no problem finding them and using them without looking. Like their real counterparts, they are designed to be used without looking. Throttle levers have knobs with different shapes so you can feel if it's the throttle or mixture lever. HOTAS buttons and hat switches are literally designed to be operated hands on only. 

It's as intuitive and natural as starting your car at night. You simply just remember where the ignition is and put the key in without looking. Same with the yoke - you just remember where it is and grab hold of it. 

Hmm, maybe for something simple like starting the ignition and putting the car in drive. However, as mentioned I have several pieces of equipment. I am not crazy about the idea of abandoning something like my VRInsight MCPII Boeing. So, essentially it is what I've seen in YouTube vids with other software? Once you put it on there is no looking 'under your glasses', so-to-speak? You are just locked into the field of view presented on the screen? I've spent too much money on equipement beyond the basics to abandon them. Surely there must be something in the works or some other solution?


Edward Smoker Sr.

Share this post


Link to post

You might consider Look Through option. I can only give some info on the Oculus Rift S but you can draw a guardian field around yourself to prevent you bump into something when walking around. If you draw the front guardian line halfway between where you sit and the monitor, you can move your head forward into the guardian fence which then switches to the outside world for you to see what's going on (or where you are). You can then move or select stuff on your controls/keyboard. Mind that it's in black and white and kinda blurry. If you move your head back, you're back in the sim.

Another option is point control: you can use it to control the entire cockpit in VR: https://forums.eagle.ru/forum/english/dcs-world-topics/input-and-output/219878-new-vr-pointing-device


PC Specs: Win10 Pro 64-bit, i7-4770K @ 4.3 GHz, Corsair H100i, AsRock Extreme4, ASUS Strix 1080Ti , 32 GB DDR3 2400. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, Oculus Rift S.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, EdwardSm said:

as mentioned I have several pieces of equipment. I am not crazy about the idea of abandoning something like my VRInsight MCPII Boeing. So, essentially it is what I've seen in YouTube vids with other software? Once you put it on there is no looking 'under your glasses', so-to-speak? You are just locked into the field of view presented on the screen? I've spent too much money on equipement beyond the basics to abandon them

Well sure if you got that kind of equipment beyond the basics that I mentioned, then you won't have a very practical way of using them in VR. Instead you'd use the mouse or VR controllers to operate the autopilot and other cockpit switches and dials. Which I find is a pretty easy and immersive way of operating your aircraft in VR.

If you need to take the occasional look at your equipment, there are a few VR headsets like the Vive Cosmos that you can flip up.

Also, most VR headsets have hassle-free return policies, so you can get one and try it, and return it if it doesn't work out for you.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, JacquesBrel said:

If you need to take the occasional look at your equipment, there are a few VR headsets like the Vive Cosmos that you can flip up.

exactly,

with the Rift S - after a familiarisation for a few weeks - just gently lift the HMD & take a peek,

surprisingly effective with all the VR enabled sims,

generally I do this when need to get moving map bearings with FS-FlightControl on second monitor.

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, JacquesBrel said:

Which I find is a pretty easy and immersive way of operating your aircraft in VR.

😕 Wait, are you actually using VR with MSFS? Is that a Beta thing or is there some degree of compatibility? I feel like that guy who showed up late to the company party and everyone is staring at me right now. I apologize, really not trying to sound uninformed with my questions. I am genuinely interested in the technology but was under the impression this was not a thing with MSFS at this point. Also, thank you all for taking the time to educate me. It is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by EdwardSm

Edward Smoker Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, EdwardSm said:

Wait, are you actually using VR with MSFS?

Most other flight sims have VR support. I've been using VR in Prepar3D, DCS World and IL-2 Sturmovik.

Share this post


Link to post

I tip my head back and take a peek out through the nose arch, but there's quite a big gap on the quest 1

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

My son swung by and let me barrow his Oculus Quest 2 for the weekend. I just finished another flight in P3D5 using it. All I can say is, there is no way I can permanently go back to flying 2D. Instead of upgrading some of my hardware, I think I'll look about investing in a full motion system. That was purely intense.

  • Like 1

Edward Smoker Sr.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/31/2020 at 10:58 PM, EdwardSm said:

😕 Wait, are you actually using VR with MSFS? Is that a Beta thing or is there some degree of compatibility? I feel like that guy who showed up late to the company party and everyone is staring at me right now. I apologize, really not trying to sound uninformed with my questions. I am genuinely interested in the technology but was under the impression this was not a thing with MSFS at this point. Also, thank you all for taking the time to educate me. It is greatly appreciated. 

It is currently in closed beta.


Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 5 3600, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 2070 Super, Samsung Odyssey +

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, CaptainNick said:

It is currently in closed beta.

Yes, which is why I asked if "that was a Beta thing".


Edward Smoker Sr.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    33%
    $8,485.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...