Sign in to follow this  
P_7878

DC-9 colors (-10 through -50) "relatively" speaking...

In my earlier DC9 post, I'd illustrated two DC-9-30F (Freighter) liveries. In this post, here, below, find a collection, from the SIM, of (ordered) DC9 Jets in all 5 variants, the planes, pictured on the ground. I've kept the camera angle and zoom, similar, across the images, for ease of relative (and pictorial) comparison among these 5 variants (lengths: 104’ - 134’). Sky Simulation provides an executable file for each variant of livery pack, that, with one click, easily installs the repaints for that variant.

I'd travelled a couple of times in the AA MD-80(90?) between Chicago and west-coast. I distinctly recall the "wingspans" seemingly far outstretched for such a thin (and long) plane, also bringing the memory of a very quiet and smooth flight. Just for comparison, the MD-80/MD-90 series had a wingspan of 108' vs. 112' for the 737-800/737-900 (without winglets). From the nostalgia and appeal perspective, at least personally speaking, it's probably a toss-up between the beauty of T-Tail DC9 and the (forward-looking) practicality of the 737 Classic. Sometimes, I have wondered of a "what-if" scenario where a "modernized" MD-90 might have (somehow) survived as a viable option in this niche market...oh well...no harm dreaming a bit, from our virtual world...🙂...(also, granted that the MD-95 (= B717), despite its MD-11 look-alike (advanced) cockpit avionics, failed as a commercial venture, and yet another MD derivative with a 737NG look-alike cockpit would not have worked out, within the same ownership, from a business perspective...)...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the classic DC9 in these classic paint schemes, below, many of which are already bygone, and not seen, even in our virtual world, here...! Most of these DC9s were once valued and trusted work-horses of the day, for their respective airlines, paving the way for the introduction of better and newer airliners. Their Registration Numbers could tell their (individual) life-stories...(if inquired).

Thanks for viewing...!!

[DC9-10] 5 images

DC 9-14 Delta (This is N3304L (Ship 204), named "Delta Prince," delivered to Delta on October 7, 1965. World's first DC-9 service, occurred on November 29, 1965, with next (Ship 205) DC-9-14, N3305L, operating Atlanta-Memphis-Kansas City route. Daily scheduled service had begun December 8, 1965.)

DC 9-14 Eastern / DC 9-15 TWA / DC 9-15 Continental / DC 9-15 Air Florida 1975

[DC9-20] 2 images

DC 9-21 Scandinavian / DC 9-21 Aeropostal

[DC9-30] 6 images

DC 9-30 KLM / DC 9-30 USAIR / DC 9-30 Pacific Southwest / DC 9-30 Air Canada / DC 9-30 Aeromexico / DC 9-30 Alitalia (vintage)

[DC9-40] 2 images

DC 9-41 Northwest / DC 9-41 Delta New

[DC9-50] 4 images

DC 9-51 Hawaiian / DC 9-51 Eurofly / DC 9-51 Finnair / DC 9-51 Swissair

p507VD.png

W5Beda.png

4bjCRb.png

5ekxqs.png

l7zQjW.png

bvIBo9.png

V02Eze.png

wU40P7.png

pU7K6z.png

1sSPDY.png

kGQRD8.png

Wxm8Ng.png

pltbDb.png

eGIOQh.png

n7lGDQ.png

5PhcB0.png

ymrbUL.png

XiHfJo.png

lBiEMl.png

Edited by P_7878
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Love it, great shots of my favourite aircraft.

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 1440p): ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490, i9 10900k @ 5.1Ghz, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, VirtualFly Ruddo+ and TQ6+

The PSA, USAir, and Continental shots bring back lots of memories!

• Like 1

Keith Guillory

Patrick: Thanks...!!

Dave: I know...🙂...if I recall correctly you customized a DC9 repaint for your MD80,..🙂...!

Keith: Glad for it...!!

Always enjoy looking at DC-9's. Where did you pick up that Air Florida livery? I don't recall it being part of the original SkySimulations package.

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_7878 said:

I know...🙂...if I recall correctly you customized a DC9 repaint for your MD80,..🙂...!

You recall correctly!

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 1440p): ASUS ROG Maximus XII Hero Z490, i9 10900k @ 5.1Ghz, RTX2080ti, 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, VirtualFly Ruddo+ and TQ6+

Gorgeous series of a wonderful jet!  Love the older liveries...the Alitalia....stunning and one of my favorites of all time.  (My late Aunt used to work for Alitalia Cargo at KJFK in the 60's and 70s...they had just switched to their new livery when she took me for a visit.  Didn't see any 9s but plenty of 747s and DC-10s (I think...it was a while ago, hehe)

• Like 1

Regards,

Steve Dra

Download my paints here at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

35 minutes ago, Steve Dra said:

Gorgeous series of a wonderful jet!  Love the older liveries...the Alitalia....stunning and one of my favorites of all time.  (My late Aunt used to work for Alitalia Cargo at KJFK in the 60's and 70s...they had just switched to their new livery when she took me for a visit.  Didn't see any 9s but plenty of 747s and DC-10s (I think...it was a while ago, hehe)

Steve:

Thanks for the comments. Appreciated....! Correct, Alitalia, also had lots of DC9-30s, it looks like, in their later (more well-known) livery...but, I, too, liked this vintage look repaint...better...(and, yes, it must have been a while ago...🙂...)...

3 hours ago, John F said:

Always enjoy looking at DC-9's. Where did you pick up that Air Florida livery? I don't recall it being part of the original SkySimulations package.

John

John:

Thanks for your interest. You seem to know all the repaint hide-outs lot better than me...having given me tips in the past...🙂...

Anyway, here are the filenames for the 2 color schemes of this livery, for which I'd to collect separately, (available either in the local Library or Flightsim.com)

Name: fsx_p3d_air_florida_dc-9-10_1975.zip (Blue/Red - shown in my post)
Name: fsx_p3d_air_florida_dc-9-10_1980.zip (Blue/Green)

BTW, John, while searching for Florida, I just now found an interesting (and similarly colorful) DC9-10 livery repaint for (another state, located further west)...Texas...🙂...(Texas International)...see below. TI had an all DC9 fleet before it merged with Continental in 1982.

"....was called "Tree Top Airlines," "Tinker Toy Airlines", and "Teeter-Totter Airlines" by competitors and cynical customers - presumably because of been entirely dependent, in their early stage, on DC3s, which they called "Starliners"...! TI then got DC9s in 1966 (barely within a year of Delta's first introduction in 1965...)...and joined the big league...

Their Ad then ran as, "No More Tinker Toys. No More Treetops. We are now Texas International Airlines." - presumably emboldened by the factory-fresh DC9 Jets, which they routed to all kinds of (domestic) destinations...and, they called their DC9s "Pamper-jets"...(those were the days...)...DC9 was surely special to these airlines...!

yLRQ4V.png

• Like 1