Sign in to follow this  
HUSSAR

HiFi Developing Active Sky for MSFS

I just read in the MSFS forum under the title "Open up the weather system to 3rd party devs" that HiFi is finally working on their weather add on for MSFS.

This is great news!

Well it’s obvious they are indirectly encouraging non-SDK weather access techniques (3 popular wx add-ons now), so we have already begun doing that as well. We could have done that a long time ago but at least we are on track now that we know we’ll never have MSFS developer support or SDK access. It’s no big deal, we are quite used to having our “toes stepped on” and then some in this very tough industry. But users demand better weather experiences, and we think we can deliver, so we keep at it, despite incredible challenges. As long as our customers keep asking for more, we’ll keep working hard.

-Damian @ HiFi

• Like 25
  • Upvote 2

\Robert Hamlich/

6 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

FANTASTIC! Damien and Kostas are brilliant!!

C

Most users are completely unaware of the expertise of these two. All they see is the final result. Great anticipation on this!

• Like 6

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Meteoblue is a private company that produces payware products for an international consumer market.  The idea of 'opening' their processes, systems and algorithms to the general public for free use is would be insane.  The idea that this was even asked of them is brutal, but then to go on to vilify them and their customer (MS/ASOBO) is an embarrassment to our hobby.

• Like 15
  • Upvote 4

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I dunno actually, I've been a keen user of Active Sky for FSX, P3D and XPlane and don't get me wrong it is a fantastic application and has transformed the weather experience in previously mentioned sims.  However the default weather engine in MSFS in my opinion (visually) is the best I have ever seen.  If Asobo can fix the grainy popcorn clouds and METAR representation then in my opinion I have no need for Active Sky.  Both of these issues are recognised by Asobo so I have hope for the future.

• Like 19
  • Upvote 6

Thomas Derbyshire

Sounds like Damian has a chip on his shoulder.

• Like 7

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

It’ll be interesting to see their approach. HiFi is probably the only team I would consider for third party weather. 

I’m still holding out hope that Asobo will get live weather in a better place. Heck, I’d be somewhat happy if they could get ATIS/ASOS/AWOS to at least report the conditions right. That would be something anyway. 

• Like 2

Chris

54 minutes ago, HUSSAR said:

I just read in the MSFS forum under the title "Open up the weather system to 3rd party devs" that HiFi is finally working on their weather add on for MSFS.

This is great news!

This is great news indeed!

Asobo so far have not even elaborated at all what they plan with their weather engine they said would be "awesome" -  and I have given up hope they will ever deliver all the features we are used to by Active Sky.

14 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Meteoblue is a private company that produces payware products for an international consumer market.  The idea of 'opening' their processes, systems and algorithms to the general public for free use is would be insane.  The idea that this was even asked of them is brutal, but then to go on to vilify them and their customer (MS/ASOBO) is an embarrassment to our hobby.

I do not think that anyone would imagine Meteoblue to open their process, all I am hoping for is for HiFi to find a way to integrate their weather expertise with the existing MSFS weather system and make it even better. If that is not possible I am sure they will make an incredible weather engine for MSFS.  

• Like 2

\Robert Hamlich/

Just now, MarcG said:

Sounds like Damian has a chip on his shoulder.

Given his track record, maybe he’s earned it. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Chris

Damian has been a true gentleman all along.

Edited by HUSSAR

\Robert Hamlich/

GLORY TO GOD

• Like 1

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Yeah this is definitely needed.  It doesn't look like ASOBO is planning on changing the way weather works by using forecast models. I've said it before, you need METAR data and actual correct visibility while at the airport, otherwise it's all just a mute point.  Forecast models are ok for getting the weather systems themselves to move and what not, but not for the airport environment.  

You certainly can't fly online without correct weather.

@Mike S KPDX Hi-Fi wasn't asking for Meteo Blue to open up their shop.  They were asking for ASOBO to open up theirs via the SDK so Hi-Fi could properly/more easily incorporate AS in to the sim.  Now, it could be they are to closely tied together, but I doubt it.  I'm pretty sure the sim is simply pulling data from them.  Those data sources are publicly available.  Meteo Blue doesn't have any better sources for data than anyone else. Hi-Fi has refined their methods for several years now, and probably don't need Meteo Blue for this.

• Like 4

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Great news. HiFi has been the absolute best for weather simulation.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Active Sky have been terrific and Damien has done a fantastic job with his weather products in P3d but if they are not using the SDK surely its going to be similar to REX and they can't get around limitations like the sudden changes in weather.

For me the best weather representation can only be done by msfs.

• Like 6