Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

An Idea For P3Dv6

You never know we may someday end up with a sim detail right down to sidewalk lamp post ECT, then it will be i get CTD when i try to load the flight what specs do you need to run this sim, i can`t afford a $3,000 GPU.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

My wife has a strong opinion regarding that recent addition, I however just feel inadequate. 😉

Many years ago, I worked at 555 California Street for a few years (BofA Tower) on 50th floor and it was high enough to be above the fog layer, had some incredible views especially in October with Blue Angles in town. 

Cheers, Rob.

Hah! I agree... Though we've been calling it "the egg". You still in SF?

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Awesome. Close to Bob's Donut shop, and not too far away from both Japan and China town 😉 

I imagine SF was a totally different city back then from what it is now. Let me know if you're ever in the area!

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Improved or integrated controller support. Using third party apps to control devices(yokes/throttles) is a turn off for me anymore.

Unfortunately I believe that with the emergence of a new full on Gaming flight simulator (MSFS) that LM will reduce development for P3D as we know it. Any benefits we gain will come from development of the commercial simulator industry. Their needs are not always aligned with ours. With the "entertainment" sector well catered for I'm guessing that there just isn't enough market share to warrant investing the resources in developing it.

Cheers

Steve Hall

Tbh we need to get Elon Musk into flightsim. He would probably have some crazy ideas. 

• Like 1

Evan Hardin 

I would love to see DLSS implemented in P3D for a future release.  Seeing how well it does visually and performance wise in other titles I would hope it would make P3D less hardware dependent.  

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

thanks rob.  FYI, is their a consensus on the performance hit for turning on godrays?  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

1 hour ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

RTX implementations are already supported in Simul TrueSKY (P3D Enhanced Atmospherics) ... I would expect to see more work on Ray Tracing over DLSS.  God Rays implementation has some need of "refinement".  Perhaps one reason to stick with nVidia GPUs for now.

Good to know Rob.  Hopefully I can get my hands on a better GPU eventually so that I can actually turn the feature on!

Jose A.

Core Components: AMD Ryzen7 7700X - G.Skill FlareX 32 GB DDR5 6000 CL36 (XMP)  - Gigabyte B650M Aorus Elite AX  - Asus ROG Strix RTX3060 12gb

Storage: WD Black SN750 NVMe 1TB - AData sx8200 Pro NVMe 1TB - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - Samsung 870 EVO 1TB

WIN10 - P3D v.5.3 HF2 - XPLANE 11 - MSFS

This discussion is too technical for me. So, I‘d like to come back to what it is that I want:

We are talking about a flight SIMULATOR; that means, using it I can learn

- to fly an aircraft,

- to take off, to land,

- to navigate.

Depending on what kind of aircraft I am flying, I have different requirements.

If I am flying an airliner, I need to be able to do intricate IFS, AP flying, and to ‚recognize‘ where in the world I am. For that requirement, a photo wallpaper is pure luxury. No need for realistic, 3D buildings, etc.

I f I want to fly VFR (i.e. in GA aircraft) I fly much closer to the earth, my needs are different:          I must be able to navigate by looking at the earth underneath me, to be able to ascertain that I am where I wanted to go, to see for myself that my VOR navigation is correct. That means the landscape must be realistic, it must have the right kind of buildings in the correct places, correct streets, rivers, hills, etc. The representation of the features underneath my aircraft does not have to be so realistic that I can recognize my house when flying over it but I must be able to recognize the city, village, boundaries, the distinct landmarks of the area; the buildings must be not only 3D but recognizable as builings belonging in that area. Take for instance, a low level fkight from Salzburg to Innsbruck, everybody knows that area… The airports of both cities are very recognizable, the area around them, too. I can see that I am over LOWS because of the buildings under me, same in Innsbruck. BUT as soon as I leave the immediate area of the airports, the landscape under me becomes more ‚general‘ in kind, it is European, but it is not: ‚alpine‘, Austrian, realistic. The buildings are all basically the same. That is not like in reality. 

Also, when I fly (low level!) along the Inn valley, the landscape becomes blurry, indistinct, the streets are unrecognizable, the buildings 2D,…

If that can be fixed, I will be happy.

Volker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vtracy said:

If that can be fixed, I will be happy.

That is why Orbx developed True Earth regions.. they do exactly what you are looking for.   Albeit for one region at a time.. 🙂

Bert

Bert, I think I understand what you mean. I have TE England South. I like it very much. If only we had more of that! Like, e.g. Austria. I also bought the two Germanys but IMHO they are not as good as TE England South. 

A very good example of an area is Malta by simmershome (Rainer Kunst). Its only „disadvantage“ is that it requires a very fast CPU, an equally fast GPU and lots of VRAM. I am currently in the process of acquiring the necessary resources to use it as it should. Apart from that: highly recommended!

Volker

3 hours ago, vtracy said:

I also bought the two Germanys but IMHO they are not as good as TE England South.

Of course, but that's mainly because they are different kinds of products. GES and GEN are 'REGION' type of products, like Norway, England, Scotland and a lot of US stuff.
TE is another level of ground depiction, which works in smaller areas, is much more precise (aimed at low VFR flying), but takes a lot (and I mean a lot) of data and space on the disc.
Just compare the Germany South region, at around 8 GB, and TrueEarth Great Britain South with almost 50 GB.
So, you can't fairly compare ORBX Germany with any True Earth product.

On 12/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, Chapstick said:

Meh, the P3D scene will be dead when its time for the next paid upgrade to roll around in 3 years.

I have to agree. Seems v5 was a money grab just before the big flight sim came out. We have heard nothing from p3d for a long time. Looks like they got their money and went into hiding....

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

35 minutes ago, Daytona125 said:

I have to agree. Seems v5 was a money grab just before the big flight sim came out. We have heard nothing from p3d for a long time. Looks like they got their money and went into hiding....

See close to the end of the thread. 

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.