Sign in to follow this  
2302rs

Reasons NOT to upgrade to P3Dv5?

Hey there!

I'm currently still running P3Dv4.5 and I'm pretty happy with it. I plan to get a new pc early next year, as soon as GPU availability gets better again.

Now my question to you guys having already done so: Is there any reason not to upgrade to v5? Apart from addons that have not been updated to be compatible of course (PMDG 777, Milviz PC6 and others...).
Specifically, are there any weird stability or performance issues with v5?

Thanks! regards,
Raffael

Personally I upgraded and never looked back.  But some reasons not to update:

-You have a graphics card with lower VRAM

-you have some aircraft that are not pbr and rely on Tomatoshade reflection profiles to get you the proper look.  No TS in V5

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Go for it, you won't regret. At least since 5.1HF1 it is stable and performs very well. Most graphical glitches have been removed and if you don't like EA (it is still a bit problematic) it is easy to disable.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

If you do not feel like spending the money and migrating over the addons etc,

V4.5. is a perfectly good sim 🙂

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Bert

Depends on what you care about. Many people would say that Enhanced Atmospherics is the biggest reason to upgrade and that EA is still buggy, but you can fly with EA off so it ought not to be a showstopper. I've been having stability issues with 5.1 HF1 myself  lately but that seems to be down to something in my setup and not P3D 5.1 specifically. It's annoying but I wouldn't go back to 4.5 now. The performance gains from v5 are significant and in my sim that's a big deal as I'm always in complex scenery with below-average FPS. Probably the biggest reason not to move would be if you have a GPU with less than 8GB of VRAM. The upgrade to DirectX 12 means it's much easier to run out of VRAM. 11GB+ is the sweet spot, at least for me. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

Only reasons I can think of to stick with 4.5 would be aircraft, or trueglass issues.

You could do what I do, keep the 4.5 install around.  I gradually move over add-ons at my leisure.  The disk space isn't that much when you consider that many of the add-ons work in both v4 and v5, so I just point my xml to the v4 install and I'm good.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I suggest getting V5 but keep 4.5 until all the addons you like are compatible. Once you do I bet you won't be going back and using 4.5 . That's my experience anyway.

Vic green

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

If you do not feel like spending the money and migrating over the addons etc,

V4.5. is a perfectly good sim 🙂

I would heartily agree with this.

• Like 1

Pick your poison.

V4 - low FPS/bad perf compared to V5, but won't crash just because you kissed the VRAM limit

V5 - perf is so much better, absolutely loves to crash because you don't own a $1,000 video card with 12GB+ VRAM

Personally, I haven't touched V4 in months and just recently uninstalled it completely. 

In my experience Prepar3Dv5.1 outperforms v4.5 in every way, looks, stability and smoothness, fps, no stutters and also E.A. is better than no E.A. It adds to the immersion. I mixed it with Skyforce 3D and enjoy beautiful skies, cloud decks and stratus layers. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

I would heartily agree with this.

I'm in the same boat. Wondering if it would be worth messing with this.

This is especially true as I have a robust XP11.5+ and hopefully soon MSFS.  It's too overwhelming to have and maintain so much sim.  Each having their strengths and weaknesses.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Iwouldn't say its a reason NOT to upgrade but this is my greatest problem with V5I placed the following on Orbyx citing Australia V2 as a possible culprit but it got shunted to a section which has limited users . Maybe someone on here can help or am I the only one with the problem??

Because of the introduction of DX12 in the new sim - I installed it recently - and even bought a New 8Gb video card

to try and solve the following problem. (I had an Nvidia - now Radeon)

In the few flights I have made so far - (no EA) - there appears to be a lot of oversharpening of the pixels

and this causes a constant "Throbbing/flashing " of the picture.

I would describe it as if someone has taken a frame into Photoshop  - and sharpened it tooo much - to

put another way - if I edited a video of a flight in V4  - and used the sharpen facility in the editing software

I would get this effect in V5

I have tried  the sim  on my HD 1080 - and on my 4K HDR10 - monitors and the effect is still the same:banghead:

I reduced  the HD (dynamic effect) in both monitors.

I see nothing like this in V4 in either of the resolution Monitors - and it just isn't there - and made sure that it is not a

fault of using the sharpening features in their setups. The sceneries in which this occurs is always present in Australia V2

for example - especially over the mountain forested regions - and even in the cockpit textures of various aircraft:)

This is one bloke who is glad he did NOT dump V4  -and for other reasons explained elsewhere  - have returned all my 

simming and games  - to HD1080 resolutions - now use 4K only for my X Box One X - until MSFS is released for the new one

P3D 4 will remain in use on 1080HD  ------ Sort of a "Back to Await the Future" decision

PS On the few occasions I venture into MSFS with my mid range PC - I don't have that problem

20 minutes ago, jaytee73 said:

Iwouldn't say its a reason NOT to upgrade but this is my greatest problem with V5I placed the following on Orbyx citing Australia V2 as a possible culprit but it got shunted to a section which has limited users . Maybe someone on here can help or am I the only one with the problem??

Because of the introduction of DX12 in the new sim - I installed it recently - and even bought a New 8Gb video card

to try and solve the following problem. (I had an Nvidia - now Radeon)

In the few flights I have made so far - (no EA) - there appears to be a lot of oversharpening of the pixels

and this causes a constant "Throbbing/flashing " of the picture.

I would describe it as if someone has taken a frame into Photoshop  - and sharpened it tooo much - to

put another way - if I edited a video of a flight in V4  - and used the sharpen facility in the editing software

I would get this effect in V5

I have tried  the sim  on my HD 1080 - and on my 4K HDR10 - monitors and the effect is still the same:banghead:

I reduced  the HD (dynamic effect) in both monitors.

I see nothing like this in V4 in either of the resolution Monitors - and it just isn't there - and made sure that it is not a

fault of using the sharpening features in their setups. The sceneries in which this occurs is always present in Australia V2

for example - especially over the mountain forested regions - and even in the cockpit textures of various aircraft:)

This is one bloke who is glad he did NOT dump V4  -and for other reasons explained elsewhere  - have returned all my 

simming and games  - to HD1080 resolutions - now use 4K only for my X Box One X - until MSFS is released for the new one

P3D 4 will remain in use on 1080HD  ------ Sort of a "Back to Await the Future" decision

PS On the few occasions I venture into MSFS with my mid range PC - I don't have that problem

HDR on or off?

What AA setting?

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

HDR on or off?

What AA setting?

Hi Bert

cant find a control for HDR in V5  - but no HDR in 1080HD monitor - and Can't turn off HDR in 4K monitor

However - as stated - Picture mode setting on both 43"TV/monitors  - dynamic turned off  - set at standard

AA is 4xMSSA - FXAA on - 4x antroscopic - texture res Ultra

Radeon Video card 8GB - dynamic and sharpening - disabled

have played around with all these settings with little luck 

Over 10000' doesn't seem a problem and now only use V5 for High Flight in jets

I have spent years in digital manipulation of photos and video but this has me beat

Maybe no one else in low and slow sees it - notices it ??

No signs of it in V4