Sign in to follow this  
SierraDelta

Lorby MSFS Addon Organizer (Protoype) available

5 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

I've added a button for that in version 1.09. But it will only tell you if there are probable conflicts, I'm not sure if I should let you edit them. But the app has at least a feature to rebuild the layout.json if you do edit the name of the BGL file.

Excellent news. Will check. Thanks so much!.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

8 hours ago, craigeaglefire said:

what layering/order for certain items

I missed this the first time around.   @Lorby_SI is correct, the order only becomes relevant when there's a scenery conflict.   There's no real need to worry about "layers" like with prior sims -- everything that's been done so far, from liveries to DEM changes -- has for the most part lived happily just dropped into the Community folder.

It's only really a concern where you have two mods modifying the exact same file -- this can be the case when you have "mods of mods".   One example of these that's come up recently is the "better camera position" mods for various planes.  Those changes edit the cameras.cfg file for the airplane.  So if you have an add-on plane -- which also comes with cameras.cfg, because it's integral to the plane -- the only way to get the mod to "stick" is to have it load after the plane by tweaking the name of the directory it's in.

(Or modifying the content.xml file in the sim's LocalCache directory to force the order you want, which is what this tool does.  It's a lot more elegant, but does run the risk of having something else change the order, when nothing else can change the order of a directory you name.   You pays your money -- or not! -- and takes your choice.  😄 )

((Of course, even if you change directory names, something else could come in and change content.xml to mess with your order.  But I think you get the point, and that's enough parentheticals in one message.))

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

But the app has at least a feature to rebuild the layout.json if you do edit the name of the BGL file.

Now THAT sounds super-handy.  I have a script I wrote to rebuild layouts when needed, but I know a lot of folks find dealing with those frustrating.  Neat!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Now THAT sounds super-handy.  I have a script I wrote to rebuild layouts when needed, but I know a lot of folks find dealing with those frustrating.  Neat!

Yes, that is a massive time saver.  I can never remember where I have left my MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe :biggrin:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

I can never remember where I have left my MSFSLayoutGenerator.exe 

Hehe.  I had a similar problem,  I ended up just dropping my script into a directory in my path, so now all I have to do is type "layout" in a directory and I'll have one generated.   I can usually remember that.  Usually.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Hehe.  I had a similar problem,  I ended up just dropping my script into a directory in my path, so now all I have to do is type "layout" in a directory and I'll have one generated.   I can usually remember that.  Usually.

That's a novel solution.  I know you are good with the scripts.   👍

I still use your toolbar handle solution.  It's still top in my book.  V1.0 worked straight out of the bag, and the blog that went with it was a pretty interesting read as well. 

I might have to learn a bit of HTML, CSS, and Javascript for work this year to assist with development of a new product we are selling.  That's going to be a riot!  I may end up having more empathy for the Asobo programmers by the end of it!  😄

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I might have to learn a bit of HTML, CSS, and Javascript for work this year to assist with development of a new product we are selling.  That's going to be a riot!  I may end up having more empathy for the Asobo programmers by the end of it!  😄

Truth be told, Javascript is not my favorite language to work in by far.  I'd much rather be slinging Python or Go.  Or Rust, which I've been learning.   The concept of using Rust to create WASM gauges, like the FWB folks have been working on, is intriguing to me and it's a language I've been meaning to add to my toolkit, anyway.

But the web stack is what's used for the bulk of the front-end sim stuff.  So the web stack is what we work with, for the most part.  For now.

(And JS is a pretty easy language to get started in.  I don't like the idea of it being someone's first language, because it can let people fall into some bad habits too easily, but it's really easy to pick up, especially if you know any other similar programming language.  And it's a really useful one to know)

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips.  👍  I just found out we will be using .json files for the data as well.  Pretty easy to understand how the formatting works, but I was a bit disappointed to learn it only consists of arrays, objects, and name/value pairs, but I suppose it only has to do as it is required (store data in a structured fashion), and that is all there is to it.  I don't know what I was expecting, but I thought there might be more to it.  Looks like everyone will be using .json going forward now anyway, including MSFS of course. :biggrin:

I heard a few of our development guys talking about Rust, and Julia, but it is a bit over my head at the moment, and something I will read up on over a coffee at work.

Just out of interest, do you know what Lorby's application would be written in?

Pretty easy to understand how the formatting works, but I was a bit disappointed to learn it only consists of arrays, objects, and name/value pairs

Yep.  JSON is literally "Javascript Object Notation" -- it's a subset of JS and only effectively expresses the language's basic data types.  This keeps it very limited in a number of ways.  If you want to store more complex information you need to find some way to serialize it into a JSON-valid format, or use a different storage mechanism entirely.  It's highly space-inefficient.   It's much more computationally expensive to process large amounts of JSON than other schemas.   It doesn't let you easily keep track of things like the order of entries.  There is no support for binary record types.  It doesn't have a native schema mechanism which makes data versioning and schema migrations challenging.  (There's jsonschema, which helps with this somewhat, but it's inferior to what something like Avro offers.  It's a kludge over a design limitation.)

Honestly, the main thing going for it as a data storage format is that it's somewhat human readable, and it's a widely recognized format.  And even when it comes to human readability it's inferior to something like YAML or TOML which, if nothing else, actually allow you to have comments in your data.  How's that for a revolutionary idea? 🙄 Not to say anything about needing to parse out all the braces and quotes mentally to make sense of JSON,  something you don't need to do nearly as much with YAML if you're worried about that.

Appropriately, JSON is a lot like Javascript in this way:   a somewhat cruddy "standard by default" that gained widespread adoption because it was simple and easy and is often "good enough", and now the entire world runs on it, for better or for worse.

And I'll stop ranting about data formats there.   It's part of my day job and I Have Feelings.  Strong ones.  😄

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 2

Just out of interest, do you know what Lorby's application would be written in?

Got lost in my rant and forget to answer this.  😂  Looking at the binary, it seems like it's using a .NET language, but I don't really know which one.  The most likely candidate would be C# or C++, but there are others.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 12:32 PM, edpatino said:

But the app has at least a feature to rebuild the layout.json if you do edit the name of the BGL file

Could you please indicate how to operate the feature for rebuilding the layout.json files?. Want to be sure before messing with those files. Using your latest version b11.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

3 hours ago, edpatino said:

Could you please indicate how to operate the feature for rebuilding the layout.json files?. Want to be sure before messing with those files. Using your latest version b11.

Right-click on a package in either of the treelists, the option is in the context menu.

Current version is b13, I had to fix a couple of things with the GoogleEarth export.

LORBY-SI

55 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Right-click on a package in either of the treelists, the option is in the context menu.

Current version is b13, I had to fix a couple of things with the GoogleEarth export.

Thanks!. Looks like is working very well.

Cheers, Ed

Cheers, Ed

You certainly feel good when good stuff is available for free. This goes both ways as i have contributed some stuff for free, so both the users and the developer feel good.

But it feels much better when you see the dedication of the developer that satisfy your needs just for the shake of it.

So now we are at beta17 at the site. The dev responded to my request to try to make a proper Google KML export.

I rely much on that KML Map when i want to choose where to fly. Now all airports are there and also the disabled ones appear in RED.

Good to know and not start a flight just to realize that the airport is missing when you turn for the approach.. Done this more times than i care to admit :)))

Thumbs up!

Edited by earthdog
  • Like 1

__________________________________________________________________________________________
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings - i7-13700K / 32GB RAM / Gigabyte 3070 8GB OC / 1440p