Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Why call airliners tubeliners?

29 minutes ago, SteveW said:

Now I'm hungry - I could eat a tube-steak.

Whilst tuning in on your tranny! :blink:

11 minutes ago, charliearon said:

A little better is a Picpoul de Pinet from the south of France.  Had that with our lunch in Sete.

Ahem! From tubeliners to a discussion about haute cuisine! I love Hangar Chat:cool:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Sometimes we Americans refer to the television as the boob tube. I don't think it means the same thing in the UK 🙂.

• Like 2

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

There's also the saying when, for example, some idea is dropped or backfires with "that's gone down the tube", referring to the conduit connecting the lavatory to the sewer.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Sometimes we Americans refer to the television as the boob tube. I don't think it means the same thing in the UK 🙂.

Our definition is more interesting. 😁

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/boob_tube

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Interesting young lady in the boob tube! 😁

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

32 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Television is overrated.

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Somehow I just knew your definition would be more interesting 🤣

• Like 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

14 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Television is overrated.

But not if its a good science fiction series, film, or a good Discovery science documentary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, martin-w said:

But not if its a good science fiction series, film, or a good Discovery science documentary.

Well, it seems to me that the Brit definition of a boob tube  lends itself to discovery too. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Well, did you know that Cockney rhyming slang for "tube" is Oxo Cube?

https://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/oxo_cube

Try figure that one out!

and before somebody asks (!), a Cockney = a native of East London

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Returning to a couple of earlier questions, I first thought that apron might have come from the French "éperon" as in the part that sticks out from the piste d'atterrissage. Then I recalled the naval origin of many aviation words (captain, tiller, rudder, navigation, aeronaut et c.) and decided that apron is also naval in origin. A dock apron is the manoeuvring area for the loading and unloading machinery. The construction of dock aprons led me on to the dam wall, which has an apron spread out before its foot, suggesting that 'apron' has been in use for a long time in the context of a flat hardstanding adjacent to something else. @Dominique_K could remind me of the French for a concrete apron, which would deal with a large part of my waffle.

The word origiates in the Latin "mappa" meaning a small cloth and the foregoing examples may have no more obscure an origin than a similarity to a cloak spread over a muddy puddle...

In the UK, ramps are inclined and lead smoothly from one level to another. Can you have (other) horizontal ramps in the US?

Concerning biscuits and gravy... in the UK the dish would be called savoury scones with a meat-based white sauce. It doesn't roll off the tongue quite as easily. Just reading through a couple of online recipies is making me hungry. Coming obscurely back to aviation, the sauce looks less like a bechamel base and more like a vol-au-vent filling.

UK gravy is the thickened juices from the bottom of a roasting tin. I first encountered the Canadian version of that wonderful staple, chips & gravy (which answers the question of what to have with your fries...), only a fortnight ago. It seems a bit rich but worth a try.

Regarding the original post, tubeliner makes me imagine a construction method like pipework, where short lengths of tube are attached end to end. I think some large aircraft are built that way. My biology teacher once pointed out during a lesson on digestion that humans are also just a funny-shaped tube.

Does anyone else here call chocolate digestives "half-coated"?

D

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:00 PM, charliearon said:

Interesting young lady in the boob tube! 😁

I wouldn't be surprised to find a streaming website with that name... 

38 minutes ago, Dave Morgan said:

@Dominique_K could remind me of the French for a concrete apron, which would deal with a large part of my ..

D

Apron comes from the French « naperon », a small  tablecloth, according to the Merriam Webster.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apron

In colloquial French, an airport apron is a tarmac, yes we use the English word 😁

• Like 1

Dominique

44 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

In colloquial French, an airport apron is a tarmac, yes we use the English word 😁

My thanks Dominique.

I suppose then it's not a French spur.

My battered OED gives this derivation for apron: an apron from the middle english a napron from the old French naperon, the diminutive of nape (used in English as nap on a billiard table and as nappe in geology) from the Latin mappa meaning a napkin.

-kin being a diminutive suffix means that napkins are just small tablecloths.

I spend far too much time on my own. I'm off now to have a bath in the gin.

On 2/12/2021 at 1:40 PM, aldridgem said:

Well, did you know that Cockney rhyming slang for "tube" is Oxo Cube?

https://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/oxo_cube

Try figure that one out!

Well, I'm guessing that the tube they are referring to is the London Underground railway and Oxo Cube just rhymes. :cool: Mind you, Oxo cubes (stock cubes) are used to make gravy and the Underground has trains, so a tenuous link because of gravy train perhaps? :blink:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)