Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Musicals...

Over the past year almost of sequestration television has become a large part of our recreation.  Most especially old movies on TCM.

Last night there were a couple Judy Garland movies back to back, Easter Parade and A Star is Born.

The dancing just mesmerizes me.  I'm amazed at the talents of Judy Garand and Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly and Ginger Rogers and Donald O'Conner and the rest.  But I'm mostly astounded at the dancing chorus.  10, 20, 30 people all making the same moves and the same steps without missing a single one.  How much learning and rehearsing and hard work and time must have gone into those numbers.

Sadly those kinds of musicals are no longer made.  And if they were most likely one person would dance in the chorus and a computer would add the rest to match the steps and moves.

These movies allow me to relive my time.

Noel
  • Like 2

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Well, there's still Irish stepdance i.e. Riverdance with Michael Flatley and Jean Butler as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Although i believe they have been replaced by other dancers for quite some time already.

Personally i never cared much for Astaire, Kelly, Rogers etc (mostly because my parents loved them so much.. 😉 but when i first learned about Riverdance on TV like maybe a decade ago i couldn't stop watching it. I found it mesmerizing and addictive. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jan

I love Riverdance.  I have it DVD.

Noel

• Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

I saw Riverdance live - three times. Being Irish I guess I'm biased but it will forever be remembered. Eat your hearts out Fred and Ginger - you don't even come close.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

The best musicals I've watched are the Blues Brothers and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

2 hours ago, W2DR said:

Eat your hearts out Fred and Ginger - you don't even come close.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges here.  I like Riverdance too but it's a different type of dancing.  Fred and Ginger and Gene and Judy are matchless in the type of dancing they do.  And they are more versatile.  Everything from ballroom dancing to tap dancing.

Irish step dancing came from the woman or man in an upstairs window looking out for the British authorities and stomping on the floor when the IRA meeting were being held in the house.  It developed into the dancing you see in Riverdance.

They are both excellent and I enjoying watching them all.  It's not an either or type of entertainment.

Noel

Edited by birdguy

12 hours ago, birdguy said:

I love Riverdance.  I have it DVD.

Noel

Good for you, Noel ! I watch it on Youtube every now and then.

Btw, that DC-3 in your avatar, i seem to recognise the 'DC-3 Airways' livery ?  If it is, i did that livery...  😉  ( the bird too if it's the MAAM iteration )

Jan

4 hours ago, Luke said:

The best musicals I've watched are the Blues Brothers and the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Cheers!

The Blues Brothers a musical ??...Wow!!  How did they do the hairraizing pursuit ?....  That's literally the apotheose of the movie, isn't it. 

Jan

10 hours ago, Penzoil3 said:

WRONG! Noel, wrong

I guess I heard the wrong story Sue.

Noel

7 hours ago, Javiz said:

Btw, that DC-3 in your avatar, i seem to recognise the 'DC-3 Airways' livery ?  If it is, i did that livery

Yes that is the DC-3 Airways livery Javiz.  My favorite DC-3 livery.

I still have FS2004 on my system with all the California Classic scenery and AI Aircraft.  And in my younger days I did some scenery for California Classics.  Namely all the seaplane bases for California among some other things like reworking Hamilton AFB and Alameda NAS.  I wasn't as dumb back then as I am now.

Noel

I guess I'm the wrong generation...because I believe strongly in the opinion of the OP.  Those musicals really exuded brilliance, talent, and unbelievable creativity.  The entertainment value was immense.

Thanks for the reminder, OP.  I try to watch them whenever they are available on TV.  Really enjoyed White Christmas with Crosby, O'Conner, Clooney, etc.

Stan

• Like 1

My favorite musicals in order of preference:

1. Sound of Music
  2. Almost Angels (aka: Born to Sing)
  3. South Pacific
  4. Oklahoma

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm not able to list my favorites Fr. Bill.  The one I am currently watching is my favorite.

Why did musicals fall out of favor with Hollywood?  There seem to be as many different zombie shows as there were musicals in my day.  And I just can't picture Debbie Reynolds and Donald O'Conner having a steamy sex scene under the covers.  Although Debbie Reynolds flipped me the bird once.

And before you ask me I'll explain.

She was in a USO show at Camp Fuji Japan.  After the show three of us were walking down the sidewalk back to the barracks.  On the other side of the street Debbie Reynolds and a couple of officers were walking towards the BOQ.  One of the guys in our group whistled at her and she turned around and gave us the finger.

Noel

Edited by birdguy