Sign in to follow this  
BWBriscoe

Nvidia performance article

@JesC, thanks, your offer is appreciated. Funny enough I’ve yet to have a DXGI crash whilst airborne. That with two PMDG737 flights and several circuits of Alicante airport, Spain which is a heavy user of VRAM.

Now that I’ve reverted to Prefer Maximum Performance I expect they’ll be less frequent.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My point mostly is not to fiddle with Nvidia profiles regarding settings as Antialiasing, and others which can be controlled inside P3D itself.. Better to leave P3D handling those.

If a video card is having DGXI issues with voltage, etc. I am inclined to think some drivers are causing some conflicts.. A GPU should be stable always, P3D indeed pushes the limits of our GPU, so perhaps it is when we see such instability which never shows under normal circumstances.

My point is, changing the GPU performance profiles should not lead to Device hung errors really, and if it does, it highlights some fundamental issue must be at play either with hardware or software (drivers or DX12 commands being issued, or other software at play, like OSD displays, recording software, etc.) 

S.

• Like 1

@simbol, the error I got changing vehicles was:-

DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.

Access to what? Whilst a trappable error is better than a CTD unless the resultant message makes sense to the user it’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

My PC was built by Chillblast, a reputable U.K. company so I can’t imagine they’ve overclocked the GPU to the point where it would become unstable. In any case I’m pretty sure that was the setting I had with v4.5 for two years and never saw that message.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Surely I can’t be alone in having this issue?

You're not the only one.
I'm having the exact same error despite using "Prefer maximum performance" in NCP.

Any time I try to change vehicles once a scenario has loaded, or try changing the world settings too much in one go, I can have the "DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED" CTD issue pop up.

There are at least a couple posts over on Prepar3D's own forum with some users having the same CTD.

I haven't had a VRAM OOM CTD for a while. I know how to balance my P3D settings for my GPU and get it right nearly all the time now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

If your gpu has any kind of factory OC you can try the Nvidia default boost clock.

example. 1080ti the nvidia booost is 1582mhz here a screen on my second pc with a 1080ti that is factory OC 100mhz over nvidia std.

use gpuz look in the boost if its over 1582mhz its factory OC , to set nvida default boost use for example MSI afterburner turn down the clock and applay lock in gpuz gpu clock that you ar close to 1582mhz.

if you get rid of the hangs it was to aggresive factory OC , it wort the effort to try it not harm anyting and you eliminate one cause.

Gpuz afterburner set gpu to Nvidia std boost

edit: 1070 nvidia std boost 1683mhz

Edited by westman
  • Like 1

I have had a problem lately with P3Dv5.1, Loading and at the end of the loading bar screen going dark no sim and back to desktop, checked the errors and a net framework error, removed all my addons added this year still the same it works after booting then later problem returns but I may have found the problem two possible causes, All come from Windows update KB4601319 first this.

February 9, 2021—KB4601319 (OS Builds 19041.804 and 19042.804)
Windows 10, version 2004, all editions Windows Server version 2004 More...
Release Date:

Version:

2/9/2021

2004-OS Build 19041.804 and 20H2-OS Build 19042.804

11/17/20

For information about Windows update terminology, see the article about the types of Windows updates and the monthly quality update types. To view other notes and messages, see the Windows 10, version 2004 update history home page.

Note Follow @WindowsUpdate to find out when new content is published to the release information dashboard.

Highlights
Updates to improve security when using input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or pen.

Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.

Improvements and fixes
Note To view the list of addressed issues, click or tap the OS name to expand the collapsible section.

Windows 10, version 20H2
Windows 10, version 2004
Known issues in this update
Symptom

Workaround

Microsoft and Discord have found incompatibility issues with some games using Direct3D 12 when the in-game overlay feature of Discord is enabled. When attempting to open affected games you might receive an error, or the game might close silently.

To mitigate this issue, you can turn off the in-game overlay in settings within the Discord app.

This issue is now resolved in an update to the Discord app. To verify you're on the latest version, right click on the Discord icon in the notification area and select "Check for updates...". If there are updates to install, it should install automatically but you might need to select the arrow icon in the upper right corner of the app to install the updated version. There is no update for Windows needed to resolve this issue.

How to get this update

Pasted from windows turn off game overlay another problem stems form Office security update in the same update, MS knows about it but not corrected it yet, the downside is you cannot remove KB4601319 one off the only ones you cannot since January.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

It seems there are so many possibilities than can cause GPU errors, what might work for one might not work for another. Prefer max performance might help to stabilise the power delivery for some but there still might be other issues such as those suggested by Simbol. Recently I got a friend to reseat his GPU in the slot and the CTD went away. So it does suggest that power delivery can be a bit sensitive in some systems.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

...on that system another suspect was one of the power cables might not have been seated correctly where the two parts of the power plug are placed together before pushing into the socket, they were slightly stepped with the slimmer part slightly proud of the larger part. The two parts should be carefully placed together so they are perfectly flat before pushing into the socket.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

@Ray Proudfoot To my surprise, after trying quite a few times I have been unable to reproduce the crash under the circumstances you suggested. However, after considering why that may be and following some additional tests I think something else is at play in my current situation.

When I considered what was happening I recalled that a while after successfully following and testing the suggestion to use prefer max performance I then updated my Nvidia driver to 461.72. So as an additional test today I returned to the default Nvidia control panel settings and did some more tests. I have yet to be able to reproduce a Device_Hung  error since, even in my most consistent scenarios.

So I guess to sum up my situation, after months of consistent crashes and testing it seems that either lowering the max power in MSI Afterburner or setting prefer max performance in NCP, or using the 461.72 driver will resolve the crashes on my system. I think this seems consistent with what @SteveW @westmanand @simbol have been saying.Time will tell if this is reliable for others but for now I hope it is helpful.

Jesse

Edited by JesC
  • Like 3

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

@JesC, thanks for your report. It wasn't a DEVICE HUNG message I was getting. It was DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED.

I'll need to check my drivers but they were the latest when I installed them around 9 days ago. If I'm not running 461.72 I'll try those tomorrow.

How different are the DEVICE HUNG  and DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED events? All connected to DX12 of course but I'm still curious about what cannot be accessed.

LATER: After googling the error this microsoft article has the answer:-

You tried to use a resource to which you did not have the required access privileges. This error is most typically caused when you write to a shared resource with read-only access.

I'll check the attributes for my P3Dv5 folder. Maybe it's set to read-only. And I'll check I'm running P3Dv5 in administrator mode.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My shortcut was set with administrative privileges. But the SimObjects folder was read-only. I turned off that setting and launched P3D. Once inside I selected a different vehicle but it still displayed the DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED message. Checked that attribute afterwards and it's back on. So much for being able to control your own PC.

I'm using 461.72 so don't know where to turn except stop selecting a different vehicle in the sim.

There are hardly any returns for DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED. They're all HUNG ones. I've yet to see that.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On my PC replacing the DirectX 12 dll that shipped with P3Dv5 with the ones shipped with Windows fixed the problems.

So basically copy the matching dll's from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 into your root P3D folder and the D3D12onWin folder.

Just backup first!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

21 minutes ago, killthespam said:

On my PC replacing the DirectX 12 dll that shipped with P3Dv5 with the ones shipped with Windows fixed the problems.

So basically copy the matching dll's from C:\Windows\SysWOW64 into your root P3D folder and the D3D12onWin folder.

Just backup first!

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow.

Did that specifically solve the DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED error?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Thanks, I’ll try that tomorrow.

Did that specifically solve the DXGI_ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED error?

Yes, on my PC I didn't get the error after I did it.

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

7 hours ago, killthespam said:

Just backup first!

Just a quick question. I've been following this hoping to find the same fix. Can you tell me exactly what would be the exact name of the dll files you mentioned? the closest I could find is d3dx11_43.dll in the P3Dv5 main folder, but nothing like that in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or the Win folders.

Thank you

Keith (CanAmRyder) Sacramento, Ca USA

i7 13700k 3.4ghz MSI MPG Z790 Gaming Carbon Wifi Nvidia RTX 4080 FE 16gb CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64GB DDR5 5600MHz Windows 11 Pro (23H2) Prepar3D v5.4.9.28482 / v6.1.11 LG 34" Ultrawide Curved / ASUS 32" Curved