Sign in to follow this  
Treetops45

Milviz Corsair?

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Have you got all of the cooling controls open? Using the Supercharger? Being careful to give it some revs once in a while when throttled back? Turned off the primer switch?

The gauge in the cockpit is the Cylinder Head Temperature gauge, so it won't tell you everything because the sensors for it only read that part of the engine. Keep in mind that the Pratt and Whitney R2800 Twin Wasp engine which is simulated in this thing, is a twin-row radial, so it needs a fair bit of airflow to keep it cool (especially the back row which is shielded by the front row of cylinders and will need the cowling flaps open at low speeds) and you need airflow too for the intakes as well. So don't sit on the ground in high temps for ages with the engine running and if in doubt, get the vents open.

Beyond this, it's not always high temps which can cause an engine to let go, sometimes it can be the opposite. What can occur is that you might run the engine at high speed for a while and then throttle back and idle during a long descent. This can potentially cause two problems:

Plug Fouling and Shock Cooling. Plug fouling is when the engine is turning and delivering oil to the moving parts including the cylinders, but when idling, the cylinders are not firing with enough power to ensure any excess oil is burned off or ejected and it ends up accumulating on the spark plugs.

Shock cooling is when the engine cools too quickly when throttled back (typically on a descent). The heated metal of the cylinders then contracts too fast and at an uneven rate, this can cause the cylinder heads to warp, which will then blow a gasket seal. In extreme cases, shock cooling can cause the engine casing to crack, or lose cooling fins, or cause a piston ring to seize and then it will throw a rod and possibly a cylinder head, through having lost the parts necessary to aid cooling.

In all these cases, the trick is to every once in a while give the thing a burst of power instead of letting it suddenly idle after having been run at high speeds. This will ensure the spark plugs don't get fouled with excess oil and it prevents the engine from cooling down too quickly. This is also why you run the thing down slowly after taxiing, so as to let the engine cool down slowly and evenly. So when you park up, let the engine run at a fast tickover for a little while before shutting it down.

I have new found respect for the guys flying these in WWII, and dealing with this plane, all while being shot at by the enemy!

Edited by karlz
  • Like 1

I found I can fit in a lot of places! Thanks NAVY! 😁

unknown.png?width=2250&height=1266

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

7 hours ago, Chock said:

Aaaargh, now you're asking a really tough question. If I'm completely honest, this thing is clearly the winner in terms of simulation realism and just sheer obsessive modeling detail, but I love me a Spitfire.

Having said that, the Corsair has always had a big place in my heart too, along with the P-47. When Aeroplane Heaven get their Spitfire Vb out later this year (allegedly), that'll be it though. I just love the Vb more than any other WW2 combat aeroplane, with the possible exception of the B17, but that doesn't mean I'd park anything up; there a nice P40 coming too, and of course the CH Focke Wulf as well, oh, and a P-51 from AH.

But to answer the question, if I had to ditch one, I'd ditch the Flying Iron Spitfire. This Milviz Corsair is a modeling triumph for MSFS; I would be very surprised if anyone disagreed with that. Fortunately, (wallet permitting) we can have all of them.

I don't know what happened Chock - there I was in the Milviz Sale Hangar - card in hand, when something stopped me. Probably David and you reporting that she's a handful and I realised I'd been flying the Robin for too long and hadn't flown something with some real guts for a long time (not since A2A Accu-Sim Spitfire in P3D).

Also, as it is my first purchase of any kind in the new sim I thought I'd go for the Spit - get some tail dragger practice in and then go for the Corsair - which is going to be a definite Buy for me - soon as I'm up to speed on the old warbirds again.

So, in summary; I bottled it! 😉

A gentle evening terrorising the South Coast beckons in this for now.

spit1.jpg

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Upvote 1

I have to say, now looking this aircaft is way to big.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

5 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

In sd_flyer's picture it does look bloody huge - camera angle?

No i think its made way to big

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Yeah, but they are really big - just been having a look (and that guy on the right is quite short). I don't doubt if you say so however. You think they got the scaling wrong maybe? Surely not Milviz.

5d79c5236e0ce-image.jpg

4 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Yeah, but they are really big - just been having a look (and that guy on the right is quite short). I don't doubt if you say so however. You think they got the scaling wrong maybe? Surely not Milviz.

5d79c5236e0ce-image.jpg

I had a guy under my wing and unless he was 2ft shorter than the guy on the right, then yes Milviz got it wrong.

Yeah, but it's quite a sharp angle on the canted wing so even the guy on the left could probably stand under the wing tip? (in the photo above)

It is a huge bird. I must admit - I had no idea it was that big.

vmf-214-vella-lavella.jpg

Love the improvised Chocks. Not sure why the guys nearest the cockpit are wielding baseball bats. Probably have their reasons - or maybe they've been in the jungle for too long. . .

What's your verdict on the afternoon's flying David?

30 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

Y Not sure why the guys nearest the cockpit are wielding baseball bats. Pr 

They had some association with the St Louis Cardinals as I vaguely remember

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

51 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

I had a guy under my wing and unless he was 2ft shorter than the guy on the right, then yes Milviz got it wrong.

The TBM930 has a wingspan of 42 feet, 1 inch and a Corsair is 41 feet, so the best comparison would be to park it nose to nose with a TBM and use the drone camera to take a picture from above.  Could also use a runway of a known width as a comparison.

A lot of VR folks have complained about cockpits being too small, maybe it's 'resized' for VR?

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Yeah, Dominique - the guy first left on the port wing looks like a real Hitter and the guy, first right, on the starboard wing looks like a Pitcher.

Reckon that's yours. It's so interesting how a single photo can expand itself in to an entire story/ history of such significance. It's brilliant. Those guys out there, working, flying and spending their well-earned down time doing what they really loved. Incredible.

Miramar Airshow 20-19 years ago

100-0039_IMG.JPG?width=1688&height=1266

100-0047_IMG.JPG?width=1688&height=1266

100-0046_IMG.JPG?width=1688&height=1266

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

If I wanted to go as quick as possible straight & level for 50 miles or so at 10,000', what throttle, prop & mixture %'s would allow me to do that without wrecking the engine?

T45