Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Overclocking with RTX 3090

Well, I am still in the starting point since a lot of videocards were in stock but they ran away in 30 seconds...

I have a chance to make a complete build with the available cards and one is EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 24GB GDDR6X. Is this one good? I am waiting for Asus ROG Strix comes "online" but when they arrive one needs to get it in 10 seconds... So, better to change ideas, otherwise it will be difficult. People with bots that want videocards for mining will catch all of them...

3 hours ago, harpsi said:

Is this one good?

Yes, EVGA is my favorite GPU vendor.. If you can get it.

(Rediculous price, though..)

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1

Bert

My 3080 fan is loud when I run Msfs... very annoying. Computer is dead quite otherwise. 

20 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

My 3080 fan is loud when I run Msfs... very annoying. Computer is dead quite otherwise. 

Hmmmm..: my 2080ti is super quiet in MSFS even at 4K and high to ultra settings!

Sounds like your card is struggling to keep cool!

Chris Camp

2 hours ago, mikegrr said:

Try limiting fps to 30 in MSFS settings... that should give your GPU a bit of a rest.

If that helps, consider leaving it on that setting :wink:

Bert

Here I have two 3090 cards : Inno3D X3 and X4. Also I had the chance to try a AORUS Xtreme.

The difference between the X3 (slowest) and Xtreme (fastest) was 0.3 FPS in Unlimited mode with 2x 4K as one wide screen.

So now I have the X3 and X4 and use them with “standard” clock speeds.

Edited by GSalden

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Try limiting fps to 30 in MSFS settings... that should give your GPU a bit of a rest.

If that helps, consider leaving it on that setting :wink:

c£1k on a graphics card to intentionally hamstring its performance 👍😁

My 3090 is loud (although define: loud), too, when under considerable load. It's expected.

• Like 1

MSI have withdrawn the 3090 from stock but are releasing a new one New name new price 😁🤑🤑 3,000 Dollar GPU`s inbound, Others are expected to increases prices.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

8 hours ago, Kilo60 said:

Hmmmm..: my 2080ti is super quiet in MSFS even at 4K and high to ultra settings!

Sounds like your card is struggling to keep cool!

I found out though a guy on here that you GPU temp is really not the thing to look at, well it should not be, its your mem temp thats the key. I now use a custom fan curve for my 3080 through MSI afterburner. Watch GPU normal temp is really a far cry from what is going on. GPUZ for a true picture.

Also as said above dont run unlimited, limited to 30 FPS and it makes a huge diffrence to heat.

18 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

MSI have withdrawn the 3090 from stock but are releasing a new one New name new price 😁🤑🤑 3,000 Dollar GPU`s inbound, Others are expected to increases prices.  

Overclockers last week had 20x 3090 for sale, they sold out within the day all £2,500...a pop, I bought my 3080 for £795 and I thought that was crazy, its now £1100+

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Undervolting is they way to go with a 3090 imo.

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

14 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

c£1k on a graphics card to intentionally hamstring its performance 👍😁

My 3090 is loud (although define: loud), too, when under considerable load. It's expected.

If you bought a Ferrari would you run it and keep the RPM in the red line bouncing off the rev limiter constantly becasue you paid £250,000 for it? 😌 Would you run it upto the speed limit and change gears or just keep it in a gear where your in the red all the time? Anything over 30 FPS is pointless in msfs.

I can get 78 FPS in the FG-1D and with GPUZ I can see running unlimited what it does. It also shows me how much less stress its taking off when locked at 30. You hear a lot of fan noise because its trying its best to keep it cool, I dread  to think what your gpu mem temp is at. 

But ofc, each to there own. 🙂

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 4/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, harpsi said:

Hi, 

Is it very important for "frames per second" and fluidity of the game to overclock a videocard such as the RTX 3090?

I ask because I might have a chance to get MSI Gaming Trio X...  

Hi Harpsi,

I used to own the 2080Ti MSI Gaming X Trio version before upgrading to the 3090.

You can get a bit of an overclock with the 3090 using afterburner, but the benefits are minimal. I usually run at stock GPU clock, CPU matter entirely - I'll crank the CPU up as high as I can get away with whilst maintaining stability.

I almost bought the Trio X again in the 3090. MSI make great cards and I really like their software. However, I went just a little higher-spec and bought the MSI 3090 Suprim. It wasn't much more expensive than the Trio X, and I think it's worth the small price premium.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 hours ago, Nyxx said:

If you bought a Ferrari would you run it and keep the RPM in the red line bouncing off the rev limiter constantly becasue you paid £250,000 for it? 😌 Would you run it upto the speed limit and change gears or just keep it in a gear where your in the red all the time? Anything over 30 FPS is pointless in msfs.

I can get 78 FPS in the FG-1D and with GPUZ I can see running unlimited what it does. It also shows me how much less stress its taking off when locked at 30. You hear a lot of fan noise because its trying its best to keep it cool, I dread  to think what your gpu mem temp is at. 

But ofc, each to there own. 🙂

Only in the flight sim world would we think handicapping at £1.5/2k GPU, literally designed to be comfortable running at a high temperature, is a good idea. But look, if people want to drive their Ferrari at 30 on a motorway, that's up to them 😁 (And I say that as someone who honestly never goes over the speed limit. No, really!)

Edited by spacedyemeerkat

1. if you run 1440 save some money go for a 3080.

2. 4K 3090 shine , it crush all cards the only one thats close is the 3080 but with way less vram the 20xx series no one close.

3. you need a very good cpu with great ipc and good bins, 5900x 5950x 11900k kf , 10900k is good 2 more cores then 11900k  but not as good ipc.

4. you need to understand the Nvidia boost, if you do you see that OC give advatages depending of cooling and silicon quality. 

5. undervolting is kind of reverse enginering if you like it do it , but lock at the grafs in the thechpower test when your card  hit 75c you ar down to the 0.96v 

Nvidia techs is not stupid they now what they do, 

6. mem temps ar critical miss that in the graph , keep in mind that the 3090 is harder to cool the mems then 3080 series, 3080 mems is on the gpu side on 

3090 both the gpu and backplate side. this is for GDDR 6X not GDDR 5 if someone say that they have no problems with memtemps on a 2080ti.

7. 4K with 3090 at 30fps its good you get headrom for load spikes , less risk for stutters

I have 2 x 3090 one watercooled with 1000W bios second aircooled 450W bios , 2080ti AIO cooled and 1080ti AIO cooled 

https://tpucdn.com/review/msi-geforce-rtx-3090-suprim-x/images/clocks-and-thermals.png

Edited by westman