Sign in to follow this  
harpsi

Overclocking with RTX 3090

Never OC a GPU unless you buy it OC'd.

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

55 minutes ago, harpsi said:

So, it is more or less the same if you buy Asus TUF, Asus Rog Strix or MSI X Gaming Trio if you are just thinking to run MSFS, correct? Do we really need to overclock the processor? I will buy i9-10900K...

I run my I9 10900k stock except for MSI enhanced turbo mode, and it works just fine with MSFS, I can highly recommend it.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Can somebody please point out to me the "many" advantages of going from 50 FPS to 52 FPS, in Flight sims, by over clocking,  in any game. OR, even more desirable, going from 120 FPS to 130 FPS in some  other games.

Surely, if you are going to spend over USD2000, or in our case in Australia, in excess of AUD4000, why would you buy that product if you "had" to modify it to gain 2 or 3 extra frames which are largely superfluous in the first place.

When does sanity kick in?

Tony

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

Sorry to rant about this, but I really do feel that it is somewhat like putting Formula 1 tyres on a Honda Jazz in Indonesia, where, because of trucks and heavy traffic, cars rarely exceed 20KPH anyway. 

It really just does seem pointless to me

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Can somebody please point out to me the "many" advantages of going from 50 FPS to 52 FPS, in Flight sims, by over clocking,  in any game. OR, even more desirable, going from 120 FPS to 130 FPS in some  other games.

Surely, if you are going to spend over USD2000, or in our case in Australia, in excess of AUD4000, why would you buy that product if you "had" to modify it to gain 2 or 3 extra frames which are largely superfluous in the first place.

Tony

Everyone has a performance target they want to chase or a performance floor that they don't want to go under. In the case of an RTX 3090 yeah in most cases it doesn't make sense but i wouldn't make that judgement call for that person. Its his hardware after all and it may not be a matter of chasing frame rate.

As a matter of fact i overclock my cards. (Which has an overbuilt cooler in order to handle overclocking)  Why ? Because i like the render scaling to be at 130 instead of 100. The frames are the same but the increase in resolution at the same frame rate is what i am after.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I have a 3070 that can easily overclock, but I don't feel the need to.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 8 GB, 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz, 1 TB NVMe SSD, 1 TB HDD, Sharp 43" 4KTV

9 hours ago, harpsi said:

Hi, 

Is it very important for "frames per second" and fluidity of the game to overclock a videocard such as the RTX 3090?

I ask because I might have a chance to get MSI Gaming Trio X...  

I don't usually overclock video cards, mainly because it rarely helps with fps in anything I use.  Or if it helps fps, it's such a miniscule increase that it's just not something I typically do.  You are of course welcome do clock your vidcard if you want, I'd be interested to hear if MSFS responds well to that.  I haven't tested that.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I´ll explain why I asked. 

Videocards are difficult to find. Forget RTX 3080. No one is selling this. If you want a good card, you have to go to RTX 3090. But the ones with OC are 300 or 400 euros more expensive. Maybe I don't need to waste this extra budget because I can buy something else...  

• Like 1

3090 Asus Rog Strix OC here. No reason for overlocking as its a beast by default. Also you need to watch Memory temperature as its getting really hot ( depends of the card stressed/high fps).

MSFS after the latest hotfix update + Nvidia new driver + windows 10 update runs perfectly with no stutters and great fps combined with 3090. 

• Like 3

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

1 hour ago, himmelhorse said:

Heh Heh Heh ...you said sanity.

bs          

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The only aspect of the RTX 3 series to overclock is its availability!

So far availability has been "freeze frame".

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Tony

At 60FPS on a 60Hz display. 😉

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, harpsi said:

I´ll explain why I asked. 

Videocards are difficult to find. Forget RTX 3080. No one is selling this. If you want a good card, you have to go to RTX 3090. But the ones with OC are 300 or 400 euros more expensive. Maybe I don't need to waste this extra budget because I can buy something else...  

It depends what resolution you want to run and what frame rate. 

I’m seeking 60FPS at 4K. And I’ve largely achieved that when MSFS is having a good day.

If you want 1440p at 30FPS, that’s a much different story. 

What are you trying to achieve?

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

I have a 2080 Super and run at 1440P at dang near ultra everything. I can only imagine the temps if I OC'd.😆 

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case