Sign in to follow this  
highflyer2020

If you haven't flown the FBW A320 - then you really should!

5 hours ago, MattNischan said:

We implemented a completely custom flight plan system which is separate from the sim. It uses the raw navdata and parses the procedures on its own, with much more accurate leg placement. It also has a ton of features that the stock sim plan system doesn't:

Altitude termination legs, vectors legs, proper discontinuity placement, the ability to alter approach legs (insert, add, delete, move), the ability to change your arrival or approach while already on the arrival or approach with correct routing, correct direct-to handling to any leg (even approach legs), mandatory hold legs, no more USR or USER waypoint nonsense, missed approach parsing and segment handling, and some more little bits and bobs.

-Matt

thank you for your work on this, very much appreciated.  But I am still a bit unclear, is what your describing a separate 'flight planner' literally with its own GUI outside of the sim, OR a flight plan 'system' that is operated through the MCDU?

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

33 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

thank you for your work on this, very much appreciated.  But I am still a bit unclear, is what your describing a separate 'flight planner' literally with its own GUI outside of the sim, OR a flight plan 'system' that is operated through the MCDU?

It's the underlying system or logic that  calculates the exact course and "feeds" the autopilot. So it works within the program and replaces the original code.

The great thing about the WT CJ4 custom flight plan system is that it reads default MSFS-generated flight plans without issues. I've never had a problem. The autoflight and nav system follows SIDs and STARs without issues, as is clearly shown when you overlay the flight path with the respective chart. Rock-solid.

Thanks for posting this thread.  I have not tried the FBW 320 since the early versions last year.  You convinced me to download and I have to say this thing is now pretty impressive!  Now I need to do a few test flights and see if I still can recall my FSL 320 skills....

Edited by Flic1
  • Like 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

6 hours ago, Mike S KPDX said:

It’s not a user interface. It is a behind-the-scenes system that they wrote to power the FMC and manage the flight route / waypoints / transitions etc. so that things behave as expected.

5 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

The great thing about the WT CJ4 custom flight plan system is that it reads default MSFS-generated flight plans without issues. I've never had a problem. The autoflight and nav system follows SIDs and STARs without issues, as is clearly shown when you overlay the flight path with the respective chart. Rock-solid.

Never had a problem with it reading the MSFS plan either, although so much better to be able to input your plan manually as produced by LNM or Simbrief.

Then knowing you can mess about with your approaches etc without causing issues. Probably one of the most stable FMS/Nav systems I have seen. Hoping that they will get procedure turns & DME arcs in soon...

Worth pointing out that it drives a custom autopilot as well, so LNAV & VNAV are solid.

I thought it would be a few years before I switched to FS, but since 9 of my last 10 flights were in FS it seems to be changing now, mostly thanks to Working Title...

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

"Worth pointing out that it drives a custom autopilot as well, so LNAV & VNAV are solid."

I understood that the VNAV in the WT Cessna jet does work as per real life as the plane does not have an auto-throttle, thus you control descent rates yourself.  However the FBW A320 the VNAV does not work  (in development but not available in any of their packages).  If activated, it pulls thrust to idle and descends to target altitude vs a calculated thrust descent (geometric descent).

Do you find this true or am I missing something?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Do you find this true or am I missing something?

They're not using the WT system at the moment, so you're probably not missing anything. Looking forward to when they do full VNAV with throttle control - although I'm far more interested in it in the Longitude..

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

On 4/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, Langeveldt said:

Too much of a frame/stutter hit.

Don't get me wrong, it's a superb plane, but with its depth has come choppiness..  I reluctantly fly the default A320 which is smoother..  very reluctantly. 

What are your glass cockpit refresh settings set to?  If it's not low, try low.  It's still very smooth in the A32NX (and the 787 if you have that).  The only things I've had to turn it back up to medium for is the Garmin equipped planes.  The Garmins are noticeably choppy below medium.  The glass cockpit setting should help a lot if you haven't already tweaked it.  There is definitely a performance hit vs default though as the A32NX is modeling so many more systems and also models the captain and FO displays totally independent.  The only thing still linked is the two FMC units.  I think I heard that they tried to separate those out at one point and it was a huge performance hit, but I might also be confusing that with the CJ4 trying to do it (as theirs is also not separated yet).

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro