Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

Microsoft CEO describes the marketplace as "vibrant"

In Microsoft's quarterly conference call, CEO Satya Nadella described the simulator's marketplace as "vibrant".

https://twinfinite.net/2021/04/microsoft-xbox-series-x-s-demand/

We’re also seeing a vibrant marketplace emerge in Flight Simulator, with partners now able to sell content directly within the game.”

Apparently, games are not specifically referenced by their names in these conference calls except for outstanding cases, with the only other game getting mentioned this time being Minecraft. This gives hope that Microsoft will continue to invest into development of the simulator for several years to come.

• Like 21

17 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

In Microsoft's quarterly conference call, CEO Satya Nadella described the simulator's marketplace as "vibrant".

Apparently, games are not specifically referenced by their names in these conference calls except for outstanding cases, with the only other game getting mentioned this time being Minecraft. This gives hope that Microsoft will continue to invest into development of the simulator for several years to come.

I’ve never seen so many scenery addons in all of my 23 years of flight simming. I can’t keep up with them all. But there is still something from keeping me using this sim, and I just can’t put my finger on it. I’ve fired it up now only a handful of times in the last few months. 
I might re visit it in the winter when the dark nights come back. Always interesting to check in to Avsim to see what’s going on though. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

Glad to hear it - now they've got WT on board I really hope that they decide to include quality payware add-ons of their own......

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

38 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I hope MS is enjoying the profits a little more than I am enjoying the bugs. You are right however, in stating that it gives us hope for the future of this sim in the long term.

Just coming to grips with the new Working Title G3000 ... what a beauty.  Thanks guys (WT)

Tony

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

I totally agree.  There are just way too many scenery addons for this sim.  I'm going back to P3D.

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout
  • Like 8

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I am assuming that this is a little tongue in cheek. I like it if indeed it was.

Tony

• Like 3

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

59 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’ve never seen so many scenery addons in all of my 23 years of flight simming. I can’t keep up with them all. But there is still something from keeping me using this sim, and I just can’t put my finger on it. I’ve fired it up now only a handful of times in the last few months. 
I might re visit it in the winter when the dark nights come back. Always interesting to check in to Avsim to see what’s going on though. 

I have the same feelings...there is something keeping me from buying payware for MSFS for now.

Agreed there are tons and tons of new sceneries popping up everyday but it's just not that feeling of "OMG WANT NOW" as it were with prior sims..

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Use Scenery Builder to do your own I say.

regards

bs

• Like 1

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

It just now did strike me that buying stuff from within the sim has been device industry standard on a huge scale for a very long time now. It's called "in-app purchases" no matter the device or the app. This was of course the idea all along. The only deviance from most situations is that the base app (MSFS2020) was never going to be free as it most often is on your iPhone or Android. So you have to buy the base and then after that many, but not all by far of the add-ons are in-app purchases thus extending the life of the sim from the MSFS/Asobo point of view for years longer than in the past. Or that's my thought about it. I wonder what a guy like Nadella really means by "vibrant" though.

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

As long as Microsoft gets their cut of the $$$ they are happy, regardless of the quality of the content that ends up on the Marketplace.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

It might be vibrant but the delivery/update system is a disaster.  Still can't download the Carenado Seminole update (or waco).

• Like 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think it is a great idea for MS/Asobo and the developers that choose or I guess have been vetted I guess. Apparently they have to go through a process? And as promised they can either sell on their own site, and E-commerce sim site, in the MarketPlace ( once approved? ). And the 3rd parties also know what the split is between them and MS/Asobo, for each sale. No one forces them to be in the MarketPlace, but I would imagine they want the thousands or millions ( I have no idea ) of eyes on their product? Especially when MSFS X-Box hits this Summer.

Also, X-Pane Mobile and Infinite Flight Mobile ( and in their case MP in app ) have to be purchased and then planes, liveries, etc...

I do hope that they fix the receipt issue with the MarketPlace. I have only bought one item so far, and no problem as of now. Doesn't mean I might not have one down the road? Hope not!

And I am a little freaked out about the Freeware stuff coming to the MarketPlace? But the Community did ask for it. I hope they are separated some how? And this is just the beginning. imagine the items in the MarketPlace in years from now?

And not to mention the little they get from Game Pass, or it might be more with X-Box, I don't know! That place is gonna be hoping in the future, me thinks!

Main thing is it is the developers choice as to where to sell, and the customers where to purchase? Choice is good! When I get a NEW gaming PC I want to hit one button ( well I'm sure it will be a bunch of downloads inside the sim ), leave the house for a few days for it to finish ( I know I am dreaming ), and be ready to go!

Dreams can come true 🙂 

• Like 1

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

"I’ve never seen so many scenery addons in all of my 23 years of flight simming .... there is still something from keeping me using this sim, and I just can’t put my finger on it...."

Well, I've seen an abundance of addons [for other fight sims] in my one or two years of flight simming, however, with regard to the latter part of your statement, I hear you loud and clear. For me, the MFS turnoff is the  comparative  lack of features and the  comparatively  inefficient mechanisms necessary to compete heretofore relatively simple tasks. No instant replay..... yet?!  Seriously?!  Yes, I know that it is in the works and I know that it is coming down the 'pike, and I realize that there are other options available for recording flights, and I understand that the Earth will not stop rotating because of its absence, but the lack of this fundamental feature that MFS's predecessor(s) otherwise had more than a decade and a half ago; well, that symbolically sums it up & says it all for me. There are other missing features that I could whine about, but I will save you all the grief lol.

• Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

The disparity between the impression you get here (and on the MSFS forums) about the MS Marketplace addons and the actual sales of those those same addons is huge.  We are talking about long threads disparaging products (and attacking the third party developers) where the developer casually says the sales were in the 1000s per week.  It is very odd.

Though I must say the MS forum tagging system to hide posts is not helping as a lot of the more negative toxic posters seemed to just flag about every post that disagrees with them as off topic or inappropriate.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

something keeping me from buying payware for MSFS for now

There is so much good and excellent freeware out there (a lot of it at payware level) that I haven't felt the need at all to buy addon scenery. I bought Zinertek's airport graphics and LatinVFR's Arex Europe addons because they cover a wide area. It's extremely unlikely I'll be buying individual airports in the future. 

• Like 4