Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

For those interested: Is the ATC phraseology any better now?

It was already better in that it would read your callsign back if you type it in on the set up screen. Giving myself the callsign Sexything 67 and hearing ATC use it never stops being funny. 🤣

• Like 10

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm a private pilot who flies VFR out of a small regional airport. Usually ATC gives me instructions like "Mooney 5FT, taxi via Charlie to runway one seven, cross runway one one, contact tower on one two six point zero". But the SU4 updated ATC says "Mooney 5FT, taxi to runway one seven via taxiway Charlie, cross runway one one Charlie, contact tower on one two six decimal zero" It's close but not quite what I'm used to hearing. I guess I still need to modify the en-US.locPak to get it closer to what I'm used to hearing. As far as the updates on the IFR side, I don't do enough IFR flying to comment on any improvements.

They really need to refactor all of the ATC. I was quietly dreaming when they announced MSFS that it would come with an entirely new engine, but it's as junk as it ever was. Lipstick on the pig in SU4.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

17 minutes ago, gr8av8r said:

I'm a private pilot who flies VFR out of a small regional airport. Usually ATC gives me instructions like "Mooney 5FT, taxi via Charlie to runway one seven, cross runway one one, contact tower on one two six point zero". But the SU4 updated ATC says "Mooney 5FT, taxi to runway one seven via taxiway Charlie, cross runway one one Charlie, contact tower on one two six decimal zero" It's close but not quite what I'm used to hearing. I guess I still need to modify the en-US.locPak to get it closer to what I'm used to hearing. As far as the updates on the IFR side, I don't do enough IFR flying to comment on any improvements.

What you would hear, in the US at least, is "Mooney 5 Foxtrot Tango, runway one seven, taxi via charlie, cross runway one one at charlie"

You'd be responsible for tower freq on your own.  But I consider that they chose to tell it to users in the sim because not everyone has charts.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I found it odd that the tower now gives the current altimeter setting as part of the take off clearance.  Is that actually FAA standard? I feel like in all the time I’ve spent listening to ATC online (plus my local Canadian tower on a scanner) the only weather information usually provided in the take off clearance is the wind.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

16 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I found it odd that the tower now gives the current altimeter setting as part of the take off clearance.  Is that actually FAA standard? I feel like in all the time I’ve spent listening to ATC online (plus my local Canadian tower on a scanner) the only weather information usually provided in the take off clearance is the wind.

No.  Ground would ensure that pilot has the ATIS prior to taxi or during taxi.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 hours ago, Chock said:

Giving myself the callsign Sexything 67 and hearing ATC use it never stops being funny.

It is possible for one to edit the localization files to change what ATC says, and it is reasonably good at pronouncing most words you put in there.  Including four-letter ones.   In English, at least. 

A sufficiently motivated and childish person could use this knowledge irresponsibly to get ATC to say a lot of things that would normally get one taken off the radio posthaste.   And let much hilarity ensue.

Speaking purely theoretically, of course.  I am a serious simmer and would never do or support such a thing.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

A sufficiently motivated and childish person

My problem is I have all of the childishness and none of the motivation.

• Like 5

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

No.  Ground would ensure that pilot has the ATIS prior to taxi or during taxi.

And even then, sometimes they won't bother. I've never had a tower give me the altimeter unless I've asked for it.

But those little things are less important to me in a sim than having a system that just works and runs smoothly for a congruent flight. P3D's ATC isn't right either, but it's usable. I haven't booted up any flight simulator in five months so I'm curious to update MSFS2020 and see what's changed.

What are the files that would be edited to change what ATC says?  I’d love to have a poke around.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 minutes ago, regis9 said:

What are the files that would be edited to change what ATC says?  I’d love to have a poke around.

I believe Microsoft/Asobo have well protected/hidden most of this from our prying eyes/fingers.  (Except for perhaps one particular finger)

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

They showed in today's Q&A the phraseology corrections for Sim Update 4.

QAFAA.jpg

More improvements will be made in future updates.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I believe Microsoft/Asobo have well protected/hidden most of this from our prying eyes/fingers. 

The logic behind what is said when, yes.   The actual text, not so much.   It's part of the localization files.

29 minutes ago, regis9 said:

In fs-base/en-US.locPak (or the alternate language of your choice) search for 'ATC.MENU'.

There are a lot of other things to play with in there too if you want.  Also, screwing that file up is likely to break a lot of text in the game, so be sure you keep a copy of the stock one if you end up playing with it. 😄

Edited by kaosfere
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

The actual text, not so much.   It's part of the localization files.

That is what I was referring to.  I badly want to eliminate the words"generic" and "decimal".  (Decimal? Isn't their region of the world on metrics anyway?  LOL!)

At some time soon I hope they get the "point"!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere