Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Flysimware Grumman Widgeon out

More good news. We found that MSFS2020 allows NAV/COMM 3 source. So today i update the Bendix DME to full realism as now it uses Nav 3 and has the remote using nav 2.

So here is how it all works.

GPS = Nav1 (HSI will connect to only Nav1)

Radio = Nav2

DME = Nav3

dme mode RMT (remote channel) will display Nautical Miles and Groundspeed and Time-to-Station from the radio on nav2

dme mode freq (frequency) will display Nautical Miles on nav3 (You can only tune the nav 3 frequency from this mode!)

dme mode GS/T (Groundspeed/Time-to-Station) will display Nautical Miles and Groundspeed and Time-to-Station

To expand a bit on the operation of the KN 62A DME for those not familiar with this unit, the KN-62A is designed to let you quickly switch between two DME frequency sources.  When the three position slide switch on the KN-62A is in the center FREQ position, you can set (tune in) an 'internal' DME frequency (called Nav3 above) using the KN-62A's frequency knob and see the your slant distance in NM from that signal source. If you then move the slide switch to the right (GS/T position) you will get additional info based on this 'internal' signal source (Distance in NM, Ground Speed, and Time in minutes to the station).  If you move the slide switch all the way to the left into the RMT (Remote) position, the KN-62A will use the active frequency that you have tuned in on Nav2, and again will give you Distance, Ground Speed and Time to station info based on this Remote (Nav2) signal source. So once you have set up the DME's internal frequency (Nav3) and Remote frequency (Nav2) as needed, you can quickly switch between these two DME sources with the slide switch. You might want to do this, for example, when reaching the COP (Change Over Point) on an airway when you need to switch from the VOR 'behind' you to the VOR 'ahead' of you.

Al

Edited by ark

2 hours ago, Flysimware said:

Appreciate the joy in the product but did not want to hear anyone unhappy with the new PBR paint which was done using Substance Painter. I have known i was not the greatest photoshop painter over the years so i invested in a leading industry product that basically does all the magic for you. So here is an example of how the fuselage was done using Substance Painter on our product description page. I think most will agree that this is how they want to see our products painted. 

The reason you might call it an ugly duckling is not the professional approach but the old aged bird. I also kept the reflection down as this older metal loses it over time from the sun. So yes i could make a very new looking bird and also make it look like all the default MSFS 2020 birds with very intense PBR reflection but that is what we did not want for this product as we want to offer something that is not in 100% perfect condition which is unrealistic. Even the default should have some type of aging even if it was very minor. This is actually a piece of art how the aging looks from Substance Painter.

So my question is do you want a super reflective paint because the model will allow you to create one and it will look superb. But i will leave that for the re painters.

P.S. the product page is done everyone...https://flysimware.com/website2019/flysimwares-msfs2020-grumman-g-44a-widgeon/

Substance Painter Video

https://flysimware.com/website2019/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/SUBSTANCE-PBR-PAINT.mp4

I appreciate the explanation! Truthfully, the exterior doesn't look bad at all. I actually LOVE the worn look of it and don't want it to be shiny. I don't even think anything needs to be done on the exterior at all. What I was referring to is this. These are the two biggest eye-sores in the aircraft. The cockpit panel looks fine. Even the seats are PASSABLE (not great, but... passable)... Take a look at the wooden beams with the extreme pixellation apparent as well as the metal parts on the back of the seat (the scuffed ones with the handle)... THAT is where things are just not good in terms of how it fits into the aesthetic of other aircraft for MSFS. It's probably some of the worst looking bits of any aircraft currently out for the sim.. Again, BECAUSE she flies so wonderfully and I don't look "back there" often, it's easier to overlook these things and enjoy the bird. But I guess if you wanted to know what specifically I am referring to, it would be THOSE things. 😉 

Other than that, again, an immense thanks for bringing it over, however "last gen" she may look. I'd rather fly it like this than not at all. You just can't have too many seaplanes! ESPECIALLY ones from that era! I can't wait for Pilot's to bring their Boeing Clipper in as they said it's coming soon! That will be another one to get right away - I love her on P3D. 

8c3e82fd577d54e3c0ca9ae49b09273ad8ce927c39ad1b0517001410ffcadc3786bde878dddd1af5

Appreciate the joy in the product but did not want to hear anyone unhappy with the new PBR paint which was done using Substance Painter. I have known i was not the greatest photoshop painter over the years so i invested in a leading industry product that basically does all the magic for you. So here is an example of how the fuselage was done using Substance Painter on our product description page. I think most will agree that this is how they want to see our products painted. 

The reason you might call it an ugly duckling is not the professional approach but the old aged bird. I also kept the reflection down as this older metal loses it over time from the sun. So yes i could make a very new looking bird and also make it look like all the default MSFS 2020 birds with very intense PBR reflection but that is what we did not want for this product as we want to offer something that is not in 100% perfect condition which is unrealistic. Even the default should have some type of aging even if it was very minor. This is actually a piece of art how the aging looks from Substance Painter.

So my question is do you want a super reflective paint because the model will allow you to create one and it will look superb. But i will leave that for the re painters.

P.S. the product page is done everyone...https://flysimware.com/website2019/flysimwares-msfs2020-grumman-g-44a-widgeon/

Substance Painter Video

https://flysimware.com/website2019/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/SUBSTANCE-PBR-PAINT.mp4

I appreciate the explanation! Truthfully, the exterior doesn't look bad at all. I actually LOVE the worn look of it and don't want it to be shiny. I don't even think anything needs to be done on the exterior at all. What I was referring to is this. These are the two biggest eye-sores in the aircraft. The cockpit panel looks fine. Even the seats are PASSABLE (not great, but... passable)... Take a look at the wooden beams with the extreme pixellation apparent as well as the metal parts on the back of the seat (the scuffed ones with the handle)... THAT is where things are just not good in terms of how it fits into the aesthetic of other aircraft for MSFS. It's probably some of the worst looking bits of any aircraft currently out for the sim.. Again, BECAUSE she flies so wonderfully and I don't look "back there" often, it's easier to overlook these things and enjoy the bird. But I guess if you wanted to know what specifically I am referring to, it would be THOSE things. 😉 

Other than that, again, an immense thanks for bringing it over, however "last gen" she may look. I'd rather fly it like this than not at all. You just can't have too many seaplanes! ESPECIALLY ones from that era! I can't wait for Pilot's to bring their Boeing Clipper in as they said it's coming soon! That will be another one to get right away - I love her on P3D. 

8c3e82fd577d54e3c0ca9ae49b09273ad8ce927c39ad1b0517001410ffcadc3786bde878dddd1af5

Substance Painter Video

1 hour ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Glad you like the exterior as i am very happy with it as like i said it's a mater piece. I spaced and forgot to increase the interior textures from 2048 to 4096. That is why the wood is pixelated.🤯

I think i forgot to do a new ceiling texture. And i spaced on it. So lets see what i can do over the next day or so. I do not want any unhappy customers and that is another reason i released a beta as this new sim was a huge learning curve. So i have been over worked for the last 7 months as this new sim was tough to learn. And i had help from actual Asobo members as i am part of a private discoid group.😳 So i feel sorry for those who do not have this special treatment. I imagine they are pulling all of their hair out.

Edited by Flysimware

1 hour ago, Flysimware said:

I have to agree that some things just did not turn out as nice as i would like. The reason for this is because this is a ported over plane that was UV unwrapped years ago and is not as good if i unwrapped it now. But i also spent like 7 hours downloading different wood substance assets and you would not believe how hard it was to find a good pre made asset that looked good for a boat. Glad you like the exterior as i am very happy with it as like i said it's a mater piece.

When you say the seats do you mean the frames or the fabric? I really like the fabric and it even has height map and if you get the right light it looks super. The back side of the fabric also needs an update as this was original texture and was just a repeating pattern from my art program and looks poor.

I think there are 3 things that need new textures and that is the wood panels, the seat frames and some of the fabric that you mentioned and the upper ceiling. I think i forgot to do a new ceiling texture. And i spaced on it. So lets see what i can do over the next day or so. I do not want any unhappy customers and that is another reason i released a beta as this new sim was a huge learning curve. So i have been over worked for the last 7 months as this new sim was tough to learn. And i had help from actual Asobo members as i am part of a private discoid group.😳 So i feel sorry for those who do not have this special treatment. I imagine they are pulling out all their hair.

Well now... I mean, if there is ANYTHING you can do for those things (and yes, I agree that the three things you mentioned could use a little love), it would GREATLY elevate this aircraft. The other minor thing I can think of... look at that wooden beam shot I posted, right? See that window? It has a bit of a polygonal thing going on on that curve... it looks like a little "internal frame", that's the best I can describe it? It's not as noticeable as the other stuff we talked about unless you zoom in as I did in that shot... And yeah, the learning curve is... not fun from what I gather. There are multiple things I know developers are struggling with - Lionheart can't get the aircraft to drink out of just one tank instead of both until you touch the tank selector once. BlackBox hasn't figured out how to feather the prop on the Islander, even though Carenado seems to have a functional feathering prop. NextGen left their weather radar inop even though exact same model in a Carenado Seneca works great... the list goes on. I kinda feel bad for you guys because the learning curve is STEEP... but look at it this way - SOMEHOW Carenado is able to crank out 6 aircraft (about to be 7) since the sim's release. And their stuff looks GREAT. So, to be fair, when consumers look at a product and it falls short in some areas, it's hard to understand WHY without actually talking to some devs and getting to know them and their struggle. All they see is "hey, this product looks/works great, why doesn't THAT one?"

But yeah, if there is anything you can do on those visual elements of the interior, I think it will really make this thing great! And yeah, those "ugly" green seats and fabric are fire! I LOVE the ambiance of this aircraft and the fact that it RADIATES age. Too much sparkling shiny new stuff out there as is. Oh! One more thing... If I recall correctly, in the P3D version, the luggage compartment can be opened and it's not the case in MSFS. Any particular reason for that? I mean... based on this work, I am ready to buy anything else you put out - your P3D Widgeon I bought literally a week before this came out (cause SimMarket ran a sale on it and I needed another seaplane in P3D) and it was my first FlySimWare product. Based on how well this flies, you really know how to make great stuff. I am super happy that you are active and engaging in conversation regarding this product. Thanks for listening to some of my humble feedback and I look forward to what else happens with this! Cheers!

Jeremy Smirnov

5 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

Well now... I mean, if there is ANYTHING you can do for those things (and yes, I agree that the three things you mentioned could use a little love), it would GREATLY elevate this aircraft. The other minor thing I can think of... look at that wooden beam shot I posted, right? See that window? It has a bit of a polygonal thing going on on that curve... it looks like a little "internal frame", that's the best I can describe it? It's not as noticeable as the other stuff we talked about unless you zoom in as I did in that shot... And yeah, the learning curve is... not fun from what I gather. There are multiple things I know developers are struggling with - Lionheart can't get the aircraft to drink out of just one tank instead of both until you touch the tank selector once. BlackBox hasn't figured out how to feather the prop on the Islander, even though Carenado seems to have a functional feathering prop. NextGen left their weather radar inop even though exact same model in a Carenado Seneca works great... the list goes on. I kinda feel bad for you guys because the learning curve is STEEP... but look at it this way - SOMEHOW Carenado is able to crank out 6 aircraft (about to be 7) since the sim's release. And their stuff looks GREAT. So, to be fair, when consumers look at a product and it falls short in some areas, it's hard to understand WHY without actually talking to some devs and getting to know them and their struggle. All they see is "hey, this product looks/works great, why doesn't THAT one?"

But yeah, if there is anything you can do on those visual elements of the interior, I think it will really make this thing great! And yeah, those "ugly" green seats and fabric are fire! I LOVE the ambiance of this aircraft and the fact that it RADIATES age. Too much sparkling shiny new stuff out there as is. Oh! One more thing... If I recall correctly, in the P3D version, the luggage compartment can be opened and it's not the case in MSFS. Any particular reason for that? I mean... based on this work, I am ready to buy anything else you put out - your P3D Widgeon I bought literally a week before this came out (cause SimMarket ran a sale on it and I needed another seaplane in P3D) and it was my first FlySimWare product. Based on how well this flies, you really know how to make great stuff. I am super happy that you are active and engaging in conversation regarding this product. Thanks for listening to some of my humble feedback and I look forward to what else happens with this! Cheers!

Jeremy Smirnov

Carenado did not crank those out in 7 months. They were brought on board during the development of MSFS2020 to help them. And so they had access to how to develop before anyone.

The reason the luggage door on the front does not open is because i forgot. And i remembered a few days ago but been to busy to add it. And another issue. There are no door events in MSFS2020 as if they thought developers would follow their trend with no doors. LOL Anyways the only way you can open the main door is from the interior by clicking on it. So i need to see if i made any cameras for the nose area so we can get there to open it. Kinda dumb to open it from there. And there are not popup screens in this sim now. So now way to add it their. So i am open to ideas on it as that is another reason i think i never added it.

7 minutes ago, Flysimware said:

Carenado did not crank those out in 7 months. They were brought on board during the development of MSFS2020 to help them. And so they had access to how to develop before anyone.

The reason the luggage door on the front does not open is because i forgot. And i remembered a few days ago but been to busy to add it. And another issue. There are no door events in MSFS2020 as if they thought developers would follow their trend with no doors. LOL Anyways the only way you can open the main door is from the interior by clicking on it. So i need to see if i made any cameras for the nose area so we can get there to open it. Kinda dumb to open it from there. And there are not popup screens in this sim now. So now way to add it their. So i am open to ideas on it as that is another reason i think i never added it.

That makes sense. Their 182T was available literally on release. They were the first. Then that AWFUL Kitfox was the second. That thing is STILL broken. A non-STOL STOL aircraft. 

Not sure if I follow on the luggage compartment. Didn't it just open by clicking on it right in the front of the cockpit? Just to the right of the avionics? I remember accidentally opening it a few times in the P3D version! Ha! Also, popup screens are bad, mkay? Let's leave them in P3D. What do we need next, 2D panels? 😉 You have a great implementation with the noteboard for statics. Carenado has a tablet, those work great too... but... I don't know if I ever want to see tablets in a Widgeon. 😉

Edited by BostonJeremy77
More info

You reminded me... Popup screens. Those are a NIGHTMARE. I NEVER use those key combos in P3D to open them! I always went through the Vehicle context menu and hopefully they are there. Carenado is the WORST in P3D - nothing starts cold and dark unless you open that popup box (and they are all different key combos for different planes) and the popup boxes do NOT have the Context Menu option to bring them up. I STILL don't understand why you can't select any aircraft to be cold and dark in P3D (unless it's coded via FMC like PMDG or via some external config app like MilViz - and Oh yeah!! I hate those external Config Apps too! I have to create desktop shortcuts for every aircraft that has one. Then my desktop is littered with 157 icons for each aircraft that wants an external app to configure it). Design choices, my friend. PMDG did it right - no external apps, no popup boxes. 🙂

8 minutes ago, BostonJeremy77 said:

That makes sense. Their 182T was available literally on release. They were the first. Then that AWFUL Kitfox was the second. That thing is STILL broken. A non-STOL STOL aircraft. 

Not sure if I follow on the luggage compartment. Didn't it just open by clicking on it right in the front of the cockpit? Just to the right of the avionics? I remember accidentally opening it a few times in the P3D version! Ha! Also, popup screens are bad, mkay? Let's leave them in P3D. What do we need next, 2D panels? 😉 You have a great implementation with the noteboard for statics. Carenado has a tablet, those work great too... but... I don't know if I ever want to see tablets in a Widgeon. 😉

Oh the door to the luggage from the inside. I spaced on that. Easy fix. Consider it done. I was talking about the nose doors.

• Like 1

Still working on textures but the seats and wood is done. Both got enlarged from 2048 to 4096 but also updated the Substance effects. The back of the seats has a new fabric. And i noticed somehow the bump for the seats was not active. See things like that i hate as i had the bump attached then when i release the beta its not attached. Go figure. So that is another reason i like to release a beta to have everyone report the issues as a few beta members will miss stuff like this.

BtNIy3G.jpg

Edited by Flysimware
  • Like 1

And this is why I love FlySimWare so much. Thank you for taking the time to listen to the suggestions here and for working to fix the issues. The Widgeon is a joy to fly in MSFS.

Any news on when we can expect the Lear to make the move over? Easily the best biz jet across any of the sim platforms.

• Like 1

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor